Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2008, 16:39   #16

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
While at times it may not seem like it, a boat is a means to an end, not the end in itself. Sitting around on a gorgeous boat is a kin to being married to a beautiful woman. There's got to be a little more substance than perfect gelcoat (as the case maybe).
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 10:25   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty28 View Post
While at times it may not seem like it, a boat is a means to an end, not the end in itself. Sitting around on a gorgeous boat is a kin to being married to a beautiful woman. There's got to be a little more substance than perfect gelcoat (as the case maybe).
Or in both cases you would be happier doing "something" with her
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 10:36   #18

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Or in both cases you would be happier doing "something" with her
/chuckle

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 18:36   #19

If i had to guess i would think its about to become very hard to get a loan.. cash may be the only answer now.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 18:47   #20

Boat: Endurance 35 ADDICTION
You only live once and time waits for no one
Go follow your dream
after all boats are not exactly an investment item except for the unmitigated pleasure they bring
ozboatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 20:50   #21
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Which makes me wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
If i had to guess i would think its about to become very hard to get a loan.. cash may be the only answer now.
If you have the cash, and boats used to sell for 20% less the asking price, have the prices lowered even more? I've bought 6 homes in Michigan for an average of 40% below their appraised value in the last three months. if boats follow the trend of homes, it may be worth buying now, putting on the hard and waiting (for me). Has anyone heard of boats going for half their asing price?
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 23:31   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
if boats follow the trend of homes, it may be worth buying now, putting on the hard and waiting (for me). Has anyone heard of boats going for half their asing price?
I don't know if we are there yet. The market sucks, market cap values are down. How will companies react? If people start hitting the street it could be bad. Long cycle businesses are OK for now.

What's the consumer doing? If people stop spending money the retail food chain (short cycle business) will contract, people out of jobs yada, yada. It's all about confidence and companies not worrying about the next quarter point.

Big business has to take a hit on lower earnings, Joe six-pack has to ride out the lower market values and dividends without selling, people need to keep buying (not on credit) and keep the ship afloat.

However - If you are in a cash position and the bad flood comes you could easily get a distress sale. Especially on financed boats.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:35   #23

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
If you have the cash, and boats used to sell for 20% less the asking price, have the prices lowered even more? I've bought 6 homes in Michigan for an average of 40% below their appraised value in the last three months. if boats follow the trend of homes, it may be worth buying now, putting on the hard and waiting (for me). Has anyone heard of boats going for half their asing price?
Asking prices and appraised values are two very different animals. If the actual sales price comes in at near 50% of the asking price, all that means is that the appraised (surveyed) value was also in this general area - i.e. the seller had set his expectations too high. Not uncommon.

A true fire-sale price would mean a significant discount on the surveyed value, for whatever reason.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:41   #24

We recently bailed out of the fast track life and are just about done rehabbing a small canal front cottage with access to the ICW (Outer Banks). Of course we haven't escaped the market drop but we are still going ahead with a boat purchase ('78-'82 37' centerboard Tartan) this fall. Figuring on a $60k outlay plus ~$20k in misc exp. Being conservative-frugal types, we are sort of cringing about the purchase given our new lower incomes but the kitty is still in the $1.7M range (just north of 2 at the market peak) and we are cheapo spenders with no mortgage or any other debt (2 college expenses though). I don't mean to sound boastful in any way, we drive well worn klunkers, our house is modest and for many of the entreprenuers-investors I used to worked with our savings is chump change. Turning 50 in two weeks and we just think it is time. We didn't relocate to the water just to stare at it. I luv to windsurf and kite and sail and kayak (and on and on) but really look forward to coastal cruising with the wife and daughter. For some odd reason the wife has shown no interest in going kiting with me. We've put away thoughts of early (full) retirement given the weak market but we're not working 50 hour weeks right now either.

At least this is our data point. I can certainly relate to people feeling more queasy in the current market. Good luck in your quest. -Dave
live2kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:53   #25
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
An example of what I'm considering would be on a Bahia 46'. There are quite a few 2001 to 2003 models listed on yachtworld for $330,000. I would have before expected to pay $270 to $290 for one, saving $40 to $60k. Now I'm wondering if I could get one for $200 to $220k, saving enough to make it worth putting it on the hard for two years. Baring a complete collapse (where the boat may become even less) I will have the money available but the trully best time for me to buy (personally) would be in two years. What does it cost to pull and store a boat such as this per year? Like in Florida or where ever its cheap?
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:06   #26

It costs around $8-9/foot/month at All American Boat Storage in Port Charlotte, FL.

Welcome to All American Covered Boat Storage - The Best Boat Storage in SW Florida
Old 03-10-2008, 08:07   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Live2Kite, there's a Tartan 37 for sale at the end of our pier. Be happy to look it over for you.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59   #28

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
From personal experience here what's an average cost for slip fees (and/or dry dock fees) around the US at this time? Specifically I'm interested in these areas:

TX
LA
FL
VA
SC

Just rough costs and how do most places figure them (by the foot size of the boat?)

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:26   #29

Boat: Grady White 283 Release 28'
My wife and I have been hoping to sell our high-maintenance house and downsize to a townhouse or condo and use some of the $ to buy a cruising powerboat for the ICW and Bahamas. The sick real estate market has stopped that plan cold but we may go ahead and buy a much smaller boat for more limited cruising. The current financial downturn may make us alter our plans a bit but I don't want to wait until it's too late to go cruising, even if we have to go smaller and skimp a bit.

I would say wait for a little while if you feel really nervous about the current financial doldrums, but it is a great buyer's market for boats and the reward for buying the boat now may well outweigh the risk of possible continued slow business climate.
jsschieff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 13:23   #30

But the buyer's got no money in this buyer's market!! Welcome to The Great Depression Part Deux.