Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 06:38   #31

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Spear guns??

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The idea is that you don’t want to teach them that Scuba divers are a good source of food.
It seems logical to me, although I have no idea if a Shark has enough brain to learn, I assume it may.

They don't like divers because when they eat the tank it makes them fa**.... :-)
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:57   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Dont go spearfishing with scuba. Air hose and rubber bands don't mix.

How do you get that?
90% or more of my spearfishing was done on wrecks around the 100’ mark and there was often quite a bit of stalking. You going to do that freediving?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:22   #33

Boat: Amel 50

As there are almost always sharks around in S. Pacific, when you spear a fish, you immediately surface holding the shaft with the fish out of the water and take it to the dinghy as fast as possible. Hopefully, the fish is not bleeding too much...

That's what the locals do.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:16   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
... And partners are (or can be) a lot of help in terms of balancing each other out in this respect. Ditto mentors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
As there are almost always sharks around in S. Pacific, when you spear a fish, you immediately surface holding the shaft with the fish out of the water and take it to the dinghy as fast as possible. Hopefully, the fish is not bleeding too much...

That's what the locals do.
We used to hunt in pairs. One was the shooter the other was the assistant. Shoot a fish then swap roles. Very good working arrangement, especially for bigger fish/deep water. Assistant would help spot fish, subdue injured fish, hold the gun, haul fish to surface....etc.

We also sometimes used small lift bags with a carabiner around the anchor rode to send fish to the surface. Especially handy for bigger fish/deep water.
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 14:55   #35

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Length of the gun is indicative of the range of intended use. The small 24" guns are handy for lobsters but useless for pelagics.

Size Range:

24" Range 6 foot

32" Range 8 foot

36" Range 9 foot

42" Range 10 foot

48" Range 12 foot

54" Range 13 foot

60" Range 15 foot

My go to gun for the South Pacific when targeting larger fish was an AB Biller 54". Fantastic neutrally boyuant gun with a very quiet trigger. http://amzn.to/2y9lTps

Hawaiian sling is a must have for grab and go convenience.

I prefer banded guns over pneumatic. Carry a few replacement bands and you can fix them anywhere. If you are in a country that bans them just dont take them out of the locker.
I took a look at that gun, its nice. I like the mahogany too because since I'm a marine carpenter / shipwright I'll have no problem keeping it in great shape. Thanks for all the info. Topic kinda took off and didn't go the toilet like most of them do with fights lol. Thanks guys.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 14:59   #36

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I took a look at that gun, its nice. I like the mahogany too because since I'm a marine carpenter / shipwright I'll have no problem keeping it in great shape. Thanks for all the info. Topic kinda took off and didn't go the toilet like most of them do with fights lol. Thanks guys.
Thanks. Forgot to mention why I like wooden guns better. To me there is a subtle difference in the sound when you pull the trigger. Wood IMHO is stealthier. Using cheaper aluminium tube guns the fish were bolting as the spear was on the way. Might just be a psychological thing to me but I felt it made a difference. Your mileage may vary.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 15:13   #37

Boat: Bristol 27

I just saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of this guy. (Steven Callahan)

A spear gun saved his life along with his ingenuity.

https://www.amazon.com/Adrift-Sevent.../dp/0618257322
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 15:19   #38

Didn't that guy shoot a hole in his raft with the gun and have to twist a cork on a fork and seal it??? I think i read that book. He had to keep pumping the boat with air after he shot it by accident. Is that the guy?
Old 09-10-2017, 15:28   #39

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
How do you get that?
90% or more of my spearfishing was done on wrecks around the 100’ mark and there was often quite a bit of stalking. You going to do that freediving?
Well, it's easier than you think (if you can equalize easily inverted and without tanks). Not that I like to spearfish at 100'.. I much prefer to be 60' or less. Or even 20' or less is nice.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 15:31   #40

hey, this ain't me, but a very cool video.. :
Old 09-10-2017, 15:38   #41

Holy crap he can hold his breath for five minutes. That is a cool video, like walking on the moon.
Old 09-10-2017, 15:38   #42

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Didn't that guy shoot a hole in his raft with the gun and have to twist a cork on a fork and seal it??? I think i read that book. He had to keep pumping the boat with air after he shot it by accident. Is that the guy?
Yes, I believe that happened but after 50 days or so at sea on a six man Avon Life Raft (wearing only a tee shirt) you can see where his aim may have been off just a bit.

After the spear gun launch system became inoperable, he would hold his strike position for many minutes waiting for a fish to spear by hand

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...lantic-76-days
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 15:43   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yes, I believe that happened but after 50 days or so at sea on a six man Avon Life Raft (wearing only a tee shirt) you can see where his aim may have been off just a bit.

After the spear gun launch system became inoperable, he would hold his strike position for many minutes waiting for a fish to spear by hand
They should of made that movie, not that piece of **** with Robert Redford. Hey lets shave and read can labels instead of pumping out the boat. The best was when he was at the top of the mast fixing the knurled round antenna coupling with and adjustable wrench. That was some trick lol. Did anyone on that movie ever sail a boat. God awful
Old 09-10-2017, 15:45   #44

Quote:
Holy crap he can hold his breath for five minutes. That is a cool video, like walking on the moon.
In the semi-professional, professional freediving circles.. 5 minutes is pretty common.. the over 5 minutes starts to get tough.
Old 09-10-2017, 15:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privleoplag View Post
In the semi-professional, professional freediving circles.. 5 minutes is pretty common.. the over 5 minutes starts to get tough.
I don't imagine crushing a bunch of suds/ rum and the occasional camel light would be conducive to the five minute mark? I'll have to stay in the shallows or cheat with my scuba. lol

Tags
Guns