Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 16:01   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Spear guns??

belize-
There are places (like New York even!) that define a "firearm" as anything that fires a projectile by means of stored energy, in intentionally broad terms. So, yes, a speargun can easily be caught up in regulations, even if officials recognize that it is normally sporting equipment and they normally ignore it.

Something the OP may not be aware of. Even in Northport, if you go spearfishing for blackfish? You'll find they magically know the reach of a spear, any spear. You buy a gun with a four foot range, they keep six feet away. You buy a gun with an eight foot range, somehow they know to keep ten feet away.(G)

And if you go someplace warmer and plan to look for livestock (like 400# groupers) a big speargun, line spool, and thicker spear start to become advisable. Northport? Hawiian sling just might suffice.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 16:08   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalimniosjohn View Post
I have been building custom spearguns since I was 18. Where will you mostly be using it, and what is the water clarity? Also what type of fish will you be targeting? For example if targeting bottom fish like grouper in dirty water you should get a very short powerful gun. A mid handle gun around 40" is good for that purpose. If you want to blast a big wahoo out in the blue water you need a long gun. Generally 60" is a good bluewater starter size. My personal favorite gun that I use for almost everything is a 52" rear handle teak gun with an enclosed track. It has killed many grouper and snapper and a lot of mahi and a few wahoo as well.

A company called riffe makes a similar line of guns called the Euro. Not knowing your intended hunting grounds makes it hard to give recommendations, but I believe a Riffe Euro in the 100-110 size would be a pretty good solution for general reef spearing.

Also I find that wood guns that are ballasted and balanced properly are superior to most pipe guns.
Great post and explanation.[emoji106]

For grouper/reef fish, I went a bit shorter to 36" as it was easier to hold extended out in front of me, so as to minimize any swing motion that would spook the camouflaged fish.
Made the stun/kill shot far more certain, especially if fish was a bit large.

Personally, I kept max size to around 15-20 lbs as they were better tasting fillets.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 16:36   #48

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
belize-
There are places (like New York even!) that define a "firearm" as anything that fires a projectile by means of stored energy, in intentionally broad terms. So, yes, a speargun can easily be caught up in regulations, even if officials recognize that it is normally sporting equipment and they normally ignore it.

Something the OP may not be aware of. Even in Northport, if you go spearfishing for blackfish? You'll find they magically know the reach of a spear, any spear. You buy a gun with a four foot range, they keep six feet away. You buy a gun with an eight foot range, somehow they know to keep ten feet away.(G)

And if you go someplace warmer and plan to look for livestock (like 400# groupers) a big speargun, line spool, and thicker spear start to become advisable. Northport? Hawiian sling just might suffice.(G)
That is exactly what I used the Hawaiian sling I had for. Shooting Blackfish on the sound side in East Marion/ Orient where all the big rocks are.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 17:20   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Spear guns??

One thing I really like about shooting fish is it’s very selective, you don’t shoot fish you don’t want, unlike regular fishing.
I like a neutrally buoyant long aft handle gun, it’s positively buoyant without the spear of course.
Take a 5 foot gun with the handle toward the rear, hold it with your arm outstretched and the tip of the spear is eight or nine feet from your body, and being able to sight down that long gun you can aim much more accurately and you have a much longer range.
I haven’t used them in years but I now have two Ocean Rhino’s one set up for free shafting for small reef fish like hogs, and the other with the tether
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:03   #50

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
One thing I really like about shooting fish is it’s very selective, you don’t shoot fish you don’t want, unlike regular fishing.
Thats also the same logic some fisheries use for banning spearguns...you are only going to take the prime specimens.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guns