Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 09:43   #31

Boat: none...
thanks Rover and Kefaa for the responses. that helped.

As far as schools are concerned , It seems you have to pick the location well- as anywhere. In Las Vegas we seem to have the same problem of the easy "back up plan" to enter the hospitality industry. I do not want that for my kids(or real estate for that matter- it always amazed me how many kids of successful realtors follow in their parents footsteps)

We are definately going to make a summer exploratory mission as well as the one in March. I have to see how bad it really is. As I like the vegas summer , I am sure it will be bearable and I do remember several NJ summer days where it hit 100 F/100 humidity where you could slice the air with a knife-and I stilled played golf(didnt like that though- much rather see it 80-90). It is my wife I am worried about -she hates the summer here. But we plan on being very close to ocean so hopefully that will help somewhat.

I am surprised there hasnt been any California supporters yet. Any comments about living in Coronado, Dana pt, la jolla, del mar, and other way over priced areas that I seem to gravitate to.
vegasandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:18   #32

Boat: Island Packet 349
Twelve years ago I was in upstate NY and contemplated a move to either CA or FL. Made a couple of scouting trips, really liked the San Diego area, but could not afford it at that time. Moving there with a boat was also a big problem due to storage shortages. Florida seemed more economically feasible, but I too was scared by summer heat and insects. At that time, all my Florida visits were made between November and April, so I did not know exactly what to expect in a summer. Eventually, I did move to Miami area and now very glad I did. I took me about 5 years to get acclimated to the heat. From sailing perspective, it is much better in South Florida with warm ocean, coral reefs and multiple destinations.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:54   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
I am surprised there hasnt been any California supporters yet. Any comments about living in Coronado, Dana pt, la jolla, del mar, and other way over priced areas that I seem to gravitate to.
Lived on my boat in Miami Beach during early 70's. Lived on my boat in San Rafael during late 70's. Have lived in Newport Beach since early 80's.

I very much prefer Southern California in general, and certainly weather to Southern Florida. However, for boating I much prefer Southern Florida.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:48   #34

The California central coast is very nice. While Santa Barbara is a bit too pricey for the taste of many, there is relatively affordable housing in Goleta to the north, and Carpinteria to the south. And prices get even more reasonable the farther north you go. Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, and Lompoc are all nice and rather reasonable. The Channel Islands are good sailing grounds, and the weather is quite mild.

I've found that when I've lived in different parts of the county, making the move east is a lot more difficult for one who has lived in the West - than it is making the move West for one from the east. Of course all circumstances are individual in nature, but it is something I've noticed in my 20 years of traveling about while consulting. Schools are neighborhood dependent (as you know) and I'd feel safe in imagining that such are the neighborhoods you'd be seeking out no matter where you'd go. Make no doubt about it, Florida is far cheaper than California (some might say for a reason?) So ultimately that might be the deciding factor?

Another question would be - Are you anchor tied to the US? There is a great big world full of wonderful places out there to raise kids and immigration is pretty much wide open to those who come toting their own healthy resources. I've been residenced in 9 countries and counting, and never have I experienced even what I'd call minor difficulty in gaining legal residence and working status.

Best of luck in making your choice!!!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:50   #35
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
......If you're looking for a bargain I would suggest the central east coast from about Stuart north to Cocoa/Merrit Island. With the shuttle program canceled and the pres just announcing he's killing the follow-on program there should be a lot of homes on the market in the northern part of that area fairly soon. Sailing in the Indian river lagoon is pretty nice between Cocoa and the south end of Melbourne. You will have to access the ocean through one of the three inlets or Port Canaveral.
This is my cruising area. I live on Merritt Island and my boat's in a Melbourne, FL marina. Bill has nailed the future pretty well. In about 6-8 months you will be able to buy yourself that 5000 sq ft. home on a deep water canal for next to nothing.

This area is just north of the serious Hurricane zone, and is only an hour from Orlando, FL.... 2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale and 3 from Miami. The Bahamas are 65 miles SE. The sailing season is 11 months a year (a month off to batten down during hurricane season).

Water temp in the summer is 85-90 degrees and 70 degrees this time of year. Crime is the same as Mayberry RFD... but so is the nightlife. Vegas it's not. The economy is so rough, all three gambling boats based in Port Canaveral have gone bankrupt.

I relocated from New England and love it here, but wish the economics were better.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 21:46   #36

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Get some warm clothes and good boat heater and sail your boat to Northwest. Greatest sailing area USA and Canada bar none. Also a better place to raise your kids.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 22:12   #37

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Here is our situation:
I would like all suggestions and opinions on plusses and minuses of both areas in regards to possible relocation.
I am married and have 3 kids ages 6-11

We want to stay in the US . The boys are heavily into baseball.My wife is great at meeting people (me not so much).

From what I am seeing on S Fla so far:
plusses:
more tropical climate
better sailing destinations
no state tax
could possible have a sailboat and fishing boat docked in my backyard
great year round fishing

minuses-
bugs
humidity
more rain
hurricanes
higher property tax
higher insurance for boats and houses

As far as So Cal:
plusses-
great temperate weather
good surfing /fishing

minuses-
property values in good school areas still too high
general Keeping up with the Joneses mentality
water cold
lack of destinations
kelp everywhere
state income tax
state may be bankrupt.
traffic sux
may gray june gloom

We are looking for a place to raise the kids on or very close to the water.
we need great school area. I would like great sailing destinations and fishing destinations (mainly saltwater inshore and offshore). Somewhat affordable.
We will eventually have a mid 40's Catamaran and a 30 ft- ish sport fisherman. Extremely important is a good "atmosphere" for raising family with a sense of "Community"

Please submit you thoughts , opinions and experiances. Please feel free to point out areas that we may have overlooked or not considered.

I know there is not a perfect place. there are always drawbacks from any area.

thank you

I have lived in both coasts of Florida, and in La for a short while. I didn't have a boat in LA. I loved living in both places, but left each for different reasons.
Southern California. I could not afford to live there. Period. And the dry santa anna winds were a PITA. Traffic horrible. Sea water tems to cold.
enough said on that. We have family there, the hospitals are excellent(i work in heath care) but just don't want to commute 1 hour or more.

West coast of florida, Bradenton. Get ready for no wind, and a ton of seniors. Hot in summer, which is 10 months long. Beaches ok. Very shallow water. Had my first boat there, very little wind. Cost to marina, high.
Yeah the property values have dropped a lot. But owning a house in Florida is russian roulet imo. A hurricane is waiting to blow it down. Just hasn't happend yet. Even Andrew was mild compared to what is coming. One day.
East coast, west palm to Delray beach. Nice area. Winds are better. Good diving off the coast. Good fishing. Good sailing. Bad traffic. High crime. Lots of slums next to million dollar homes.
Miami is nice but crime is bad. Lots of bums. Crazy people. You have to like that. Not a place to raise kids though. Which is why we moved o ut of fla in the first place.

We we are now.
Corpus Christi, Texas, gulf coast.
Relativly low crime. Good sailing, the best wind. Chance of hurricains low. Warm 10 months of the year. Doesn't rain much. Cost of living low.
Property is reasonably priced. Some good schools. Some not so good.
The local Marina is very nice. It would be not as far to Vegas for you work. Traffic is great.
All in all, I would say that Corpus Christi, has florida and S. Cali beat hands down for most reasons.
Of course its a week trip to the bahamas. But Mexico's gulf coast is a day away.
So take a look at this area.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:45   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
... If you're looking for a bargain I would suggest the central east coast from about Stuart north to Cocoa/Merrit Island. With the shuttle program canceled and the pres just announcing he's killing the follow-on program there should be a lot of homes on the market in the northern part of that area fairly soon. Sailing in the Indian river lagoon is pretty nice between Cocoa and the south end of Melbourne. You will have to access the ocean through one of the three inlets or Port Canaveral.
Brevard County
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrevardCounty.png
Views:	596
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	13229  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:48   #39

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Gets to cold that far north in the winter time Gord.
You want to be further south, like below port st lucie.

But that area is nice, and not as crowded.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:13   #40
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
In about 6-8 months you will be able to buy yourself that 5000 sq ft. home on a deep water canal for next to nothing.
yeh but will you be able to get insurance for it
Old 12-02-2010, 09:15   #41

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
It would seem that either place has insurance issues. Wildfires and earthquakes in CA and hurricanes in FA.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 11:01   #42

I think my situation is very similar to yours. Lived in socal for years, moved to sofla (Ft. Lauderdale) for nine years and moved back to socal 2007. Very glad to be back! We have kids and Florida public schools are terrible, you have to send them to private school at $15-$20K per kid per year. Get used to 9 month of summer and 3 months of spring. Bahamas are about 100 miles away with the exception to small Bimini island 60 miles off of Miami. If you're sailing it's going to take you a lot of time to get there in addition to the heat you'll need to bath in "OFF" to keep from getting eaten by mosiquitos or noseeums, which is why people try and screen there back yards in with those ugly black nets. Get used to zero sense of community and extreme materialism- way more so than Socal. It's all about Bentleys, Ferraris’, and strip clubs. Like Vegas, South East Florida is a playground for that rest of the country for that type of stuff.

So Cal- try this website neighborhood scout.com look at "family type areas" we live in Palos Verdes in LA County and it feels like heaven. Catalina is 20 miles away perfect for short excursions. You can cruise up and down the coast line or even the Chanel Islands off of Santa Barbara. Cost comparison there is more to consider than state income tax or property tax. It more expensive but out here we live in smaller houses and enjoy the outdoors more. Beach, boating, surfing, snow skiing, camping in the mountains, Yosemite, San Fran, Palm Springs. There's a reason everyone wants to live here. Nothing lik it compares.
rvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 16:36   #43

We have decided to move to..........

Thanks RVEST

I do like California. My boat is in San Diego. There are a ton of positives about California :
Great weather , my boat is there , a lot of stuff to do, decent school zones etc. Not too crazy about the traffic and the Crazy ass real estate agents there as well as the taxes and etc.

But because of the fact that I will be opening a real estate brokerage concentrating on distressed assets - with all things considered - we will be moving to Jupiter Florida this fall.

The year round fishing(catching sailfish and Mahi Mahi a mile or two off the beach along with the snook,tarpon,sea trout,redfish etc) and sailing to the Bahamas is more than I could pass up . I picked Jupiter due to the good school system there and somewhat slower atmosphere and more laid back family oriented than More south towards FT Laud and Miami.

And coupled with the fact that real estate is still falling off the cliff there (it should be too in Cali but is not due to something crazy that they put in the drinks there and the China invasion. But dont worry , the big too shall fail - so dont put too much stake in your real estate investments)

So Jupiter it finally is. Let me know what you think.
Old 17-05-2010, 16:43   #44

Quote:
(catching sailfish and Mahi Mahi a mile or two off the beach )
Looking like it'll be catching preblackened Mahi Mahi now.

Quote:
So Jupiter it finally is. Let me know what you think.
Glad to hear you've settled on a place! Best of luck. Jupiter is nice. Almost as nice as Neptune.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 18:05   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Looking like it'll be catching preblackened Mahi Mahi now.

Yeah at least I wont have to use any cooking oil when frying up the thing

Glad to hear you've settled on a place! Best of luck. Jupiter is nice. Almost as nice as Neptune.
Thanks We are happy with our choice. It was difficult finding a good school system close to the beach. Pretty strange in SE FLA the closer you go to the beach- the more expensive the homes(that is expected) and the worse the schools are(unexpected) You have to go west to WESTON or similar to find decent public schools generally in SE FLA .
So it was Jupiter or Boca but Boca seemed a little showy still(Jupiter of course has some of that but it felt for friendly )

Tags
california, florida