Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2016, 05:01   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400
Send a message via AIM to mark12mitchell
Service in Ft Myers, Tampa/St Pete and Mobil

Good Morning,

I'm looking for a location in Ft Myers, or preferably Tampa/St Pete, to dock my 2010 Lagoon 400 (mast height 67') during Feb and Mar and at the same time have both rear engine seals replaced.

I would also like a recommendation for a marina in Mobile where I can have my mast, rigging and sails removed, stored for 6 months and then re-stepped.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,
Mitch
mark12mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 05:34   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Service in Ft Myers, Tampa/St Pete and Mobil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12mitchell View Post
Good Morning,

I'm looking for a location in Ft Myers, or preferably Tampa/St Pete, to dock my 2010 Lagoon 400 (mast height 67') during Feb and Mar and at the same time have both rear engine seals replaced.

I would also like a recommendation for a marina in Mobile where I can have my mast, rigging and sails removed, stored for 6 months and then re-stepped.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,
Mitch
Mitch--

You might contact Snead Island Boat Works in Palmetto. It's a good yard with knowledgeable staff and has an adjoining marina that might be able to accommodate you. Snead Island is on the north side of the Manatee River at the south eastern side of Tampa Bay. We have known the owners--the Alderman family-that have been caring for our boats for 25+ years and have always been very happy with their work.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 16:14   #3

Boat: O'Day 302

Also check with progressive marine in St Pete.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 06:57   #4

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Whatever you do, stay away from Progressive Marine. The worst boatyard in St. Petersburg. Maybe even in the state. Anyhow, it's the worst boatyard I've encountered in 40 years of sailing.

The owner offers "bottom job specials" at a low price, then does a bait and switch once you're on the stands. He pressures you to get sandblasting and an epoxy barrier coat -- not actually needed unless you have bad blisters -- and slow walks you if you resist. He wants several thousand dollars extra for the work.

If you continue to resist, he hits you with a huge bill for sanding the bottom -- mine was $1,400 -- and piles on extra charges that were not part of the original estimate.

There are also complaints around the Internet and in marinas and sailing clubs about questionable work, inflated labor charges,, etc. My estimated $500 cutless bearing replacement on a Catalina 320 turned into an $1,800 job in the hands of his expert yard crew.

Word is getting around Tampa Bay about Progressive, but owners of large boats such as catamarans are stuck because he has the only Travel Lift in St. Pete big enough to haul them. Some owners of large boats are starting to go to Tampa to avoid having to do business with Progressive.

If you're considering Progressive, you can find complaints at activecaptain.com, Google, Yelp, ripoffreport.com and probably other web sites.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob, service