Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 05:23   #31

Re: Segway Scooters Anyone?

I have an electric 3 wheel bike that folds up. It is not heavy and easily fits into a cab trunk. It has a top speed of 20Kmh and a range of 20km to 30km depending on inckines etc.

It takes 3 to 4 hours to recharge. The BMS shuts down the power automatically when it is fully charged.

I've just flown vack from 2 weeks in Paris. I rode it everywhere. Including inside the Louvre.

I originally bought it two months ago since I damaged the lifaments in my right foot. My Doc told me I had to stay off weight bearing for propably some months and gad me wear a "boot" to avoid flexion.

The wheels are aprox 8" in diameter which adds to its compactness.

I would advise getting a 2 wheel small wheel electric bicycle version. I've seen some great non pedal versions wuth similar performance too mine. You could also consider a 2 wheel smallish wheel electric with pedal power for when you want to get greater distance, i.e. peddling on a tour and then using the electric to get home (great especially if tired out from too much adventuribg/sightseeing).
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 05:41   #32

I went to Walmart bike section and purchased a wide schwen gel bike seat (sadle) to replace the unconfortable narrow gard seat that comes from the factory. Cost: $17.00 seat. I also purchased a cup holder for my coffee, a battery bell, front and back lights and mobile phone holder. These bits and pieces roughly cost me $27.00. I paid a bike shop $10.00 to fit everything on the bike. The bike itself costs $300.00 plus shipping or around $500.00 from Amazon.
Old 18-12-2016, 05:42   #33

Old 18-12-2016, 05:47   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Segway Scooters Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Maybe so in other countries, but not in the US, taxi fares were I think $25 each way in Clearwater. We will start out in the ICW I think until the Wife feels our youngest is doing OK in school
I'll agree here.. getting around in the States is a nightmare and serious dosh if taxi's are your only means of transport. in Ft Lauderdale the way the various services/suppliers are spread out it cost 3 times in fares getting there than what I spent on goods once I'd arrived.. gas refills.. bedding.. W Marine etc.. a nightmare.
Did try walking to West Marine.. only to find after 5miles the ******* had pointed me in the opposite direction.. good for a chuckle now.. but at the time I'd have put his balls in a mincer if I'd seen him again.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 06:17   #35

Boat: Valiant 42

I find a smart phone very helpful in unfamiliar cities. The map programs have a "walk" mode for finding nearest facilities and stores. I almost never have to ask directions. Uber and Lyft are new in most of the US. Cheaper than taxis in most cases and totally secure against being "taken for a ride". The cost is provided up front before you book the trip so you can decline if too much $. There are many ways to get "free" rides too.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 06:29   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

smartfone finds places, neighbor car works well.... i have a regular mountain bike to die on in mazatlan streets--oh, btw--it is not the mexicans driving who are issue--it is the GRINGOS try to kill ye on a bike.
does the ebike come in off road version?? or does segway??? h aha ha ha not gonna be a reasonable alternative if not.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 06:45   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Segway Scooters Anyone?

There is an off road Segway, it's what the inventor got killed on I think?
Real expensive and not small either. For that kind of size / money I'd get a gas scooter like the locals ride in other parts of the world not the US, cause your not putting an off road Segway into a normal dinghy
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 06:58   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Real expensive and not small either. For that kind of size / money I'd get a gas scooter like the locals ride in other parts of the world not the US, cause your not putting an off road Segway into a normal dinghy
that is reason for off road bicycle. most useful everywhere.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 07:09   #39
cruiser

Assuming these gadgets are somewhat realiable, which I doubt, they seem like a good idea for someone on a boat with mobility issues.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 08:55   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think those are Chinese knock offs of this, and this is very well made. 20 mile range.
https://youtu.be/Fx-qQ7hEdn8
Old 18-12-2016, 11:03   #41

Kenomac. I have the 3 wheel version. Very reliable.
Old 18-12-2016, 11:34   #42

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
The Segway was invented by Dean Kamen; the man killed in the Seqway accident was not Dean Kamen, but a man who bought the company, Jimi Heselden. Kamen's latest development is the Slingshot, a machine for providing clean water in third world countries.

The Segway is an interesting concept and a bit of genius for some applications, like mounted police. Their marketing really missed and pretty much killed it. It's a shame really, because the wheelchair derivative was terrific.

I directed a couple of films for Segway and became a quite proficent rider. In a meeting for the second film, they asked me if I would make an appearance in it; I was thinking it was because of my great trick-riding skill, but then they allowed that they needed to show, "an old guy," riding. Sigh...

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 11:54   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The URB-E looks very good
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 12:09   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The URB-E looks very good

Too soon to tell if it will hold up or not but I am very impressed, the whole thing is CNC machined from 6061 T6, all fab work is done by small shops in California, I would suspect though that the motor and battery are Chinese.
A problem with me and these types of things is that I'm 250 lbs, most things like this that the target market is kids or maybe Chinese commuters, Won't hold up under my weight and or pull me up a hill etc. URB-E holds my weight easily and you can tell the frame is very stiff with no detectable flex, the weak link has to be the hinge where it folds, but no movement so far.
It is very well designed and fabricated, time will tell
Old 18-12-2016, 13:02   #45
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I was told that Ninebot bought out what was left of Segway. Are they maintaining a brand difference? Or are their Ninebot-branded full size machines the same? With all of them, as with the hoverboards and unicycles, the makers keep saying "Wear gobs of pads and helmets, because, well, yes, sooner or later you will fall down, go BOOM." And as we get older, things tend to go SNAP!! when we fall down. Those URBs and motorized skeleton baby buggies [sic] look interesting, but what happens when you put one out in public? The regulations about "not road legal" "cannot be used on sidewalks"...all that gets very much more complicated when something is not a "bicycle" or has power of some kind. I wouldn't dare to guess how the average street cop might try to classify these things. In much of the US, even a motorized skateboard may be very popular, but it is still illegal on any public right of way. I hate getting mixed into that kind of situation.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote