Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2015, 23:08   #1

When did you decide to start sailing?

I'm curious about when people decided to start sailing with devotion. My buddy Dan Howitt said it doesn't really become a part of your life until your in your late 20's or older.
cruisertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:49   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: When did you decide to start sailing?

Welcome to CruisersForum, cruisertwo
I disagree with your buddy. I started sailing frequently in high school: I had weekly access to sailing boats. When I was 17, my parents gave me a "pocket cruiser". Since then, sailing is part of my life.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 09:03   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Mr. Greenhand started sailing as a pre-teen, but moved on to other hobbies after graduating college and moving to an area where he didn't know any sailors.

Ms. Greenhand was 39 when she first set foot on a sailboat, 41 when she first moved aboard.
Old 26-09-2015, 09:09   #4

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

I grew up in an area in the central us where there just were not many lakes, and fishing was the primary purpose of what were there. When I moved to northern Minnesota to a lake I picked up a couple windsurf boards and learned how to windsurf. A friend of mine brought a 16 foot Johnson up with the agreement I would teach him how to windsurf and he would teach me how to sail. After that weekend I sold my windsurf boards, and bought a sailboat. And I've been sailing ever since. My only regret is that I was in my forties when this happened, I sure wish I had been sailing since my teenage years.

what say you?
Old 26-09-2015, 09:11   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

age 7. learned definition of the word passion when we first encountered the eleanor, and it has only remained so since 1955. was same for my brother, who was 6 at the time.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 10:13   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

My family didn't know beans about the water, othr than swimming.

When I was school-age I built functioning self designed models (budding engineer), playing with rigs, keels and ballast changes. Several were cats, mostly mono.

At ~ 22 I saw the Hobie 16 nationals, sailed off the beach in Cape May, NJ. I was fully hooked. Over 100 boats, all factory new, assigned to the the racers in rotation. True one design racing.

Of course, I never learned to like racing, but I did modify each boat I've owned to go faster.
Old 26-09-2015, 10:26   #7

Boat: Caliber 40

I'd never been on a sailboat until my 2nd year of graduate school when I was 24. My thesis advisors college aged son, whom I had never met, showed up at my apartment door one Sunday morning to ask me to crew for him in a sailboat race that afternoon. I loved an adventure and said 'sure' but had never even seen a sailboat from closer than 100-yards.

Three hours later I was in the water beside a capsized Melges C-scow, which in 1972 was about the fastest sailboat in the world. We had tried flying a spinnaker in a squall - probably not a good idea in a planning hull boat with only a skipper and one crewman who had never been on a sailboat in his life.

I was totally captivated by sailing from that moment forward and dedicated myself to becoming a skilled sailor and navigator. Within three years I was teaching dinghy racing, crewing on several big race boats, delivering boats all over the Pacific NW, and living on a Ranger 29 sailboat.

Before I left grad school I made a commitment to work hard, save every penny I could, and retire as early as possible to go sailing around the world on my own boat. I was fortunate to meet a young women who understood my dream and helped fulfill that dream. Our 2nd date was sailing an International 16 which I pitchpoled while on a screaming plane in a thunderstorm in the middle of a very large lake. She was trapped under the turtled boat with the mainsheet wrapped around her neck and chest.

She thought it hilarious and away we went on 41-years of marital bliss!

I retired at age 52 and the next year we left on a long term cruise in our relatively new cruiser. Sixteen years later we still live on the boat.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 10:47   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

I decided after reading this book.

Okay maybe not reading but I looked at all the pictures ..................a lot!

http://www.amazon.com/Disneys-Donald.../dp/0307021459
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 11:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I was five or six when my dad took me out on a Southcoast 21 at dawn. Watching the sun rise and sailing silently through the morning breeze was it for me. I have been on or around sailboats the rest on my life. My wife thinks I may be a little obsessed, but every time I go sailing there is a part of me that remembers that early spring dawn and smiles.

Since then I have sailed everything from a Snark (sailing ice chest) to 70' maxi racers, cruised and raced, deliveries and lived aboard, worked in a yard or payed a yard, but it has always involved sailboats.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 12:00   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I was 10 years old when I read Robinson Crusoe. Immediately knew I wanted to sail. Talked my parents into letting me spend my saved up Christmas/Birthday money on a Sailfish Kit Boat. Built it myself and sailed it dadily every summer till I went away to College. First chance I had after graduating bought a 26' sailboat and went from there.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 15:54   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I had spent 10 years in the Navy onboard 3 Destroyers and done a tour in Vietnam. I got stationed in Germany at a joint services command and decided to do something different than all the other services were doing and took Red Cross sailing classes on Chiemsee. I've been sailing ever since. I was 27 when I took those classes more than 40 years ago.
Old 26-09-2015, 17:03   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Started at High School in the early '60s - not really surprising giving that my formative years were around the Solent.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 17:40   #13

Got hooked on sailing about age 12 but my life was pretty full at that time and my bank account was pretty empty so it was another 30 years before I could take up the habit
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 18:43   #14

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

I was relatively young, 18/19 years old. My highschool friend, taught me to sail while we were in the Marines, Cherry point NC, sunfish, then a 16 ft Rebel, which we capsized, righted and sailed back to the dock, got banned from the base boat docks for six months, luckly it was winter..... Back at it six months later, , then, years later, the girl that makes my heart bark soft said, I'm taking sailing lessons at Mystic seaport, I said mind if I join you? And now we are on our 2nd sail boat, a Bristol 29.9, currently rebedding all the deck hardwhare, splashes this up coming spring,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 21:46   #15

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Don't remember excactly but I had my first own sailboat at the age of 10. Learned to row before ride a bicycle.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing