Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2013, 16:14   #91

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.
Re: Sailor Washed Overboard Drowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777 View Post
What kind of life vest should I get? I am then gonna buy probably an IP27 sailboat so i want to get something that will last. Should I get one of the expensive ones that also have a harness or should I just get the basic inflatable. The ones with a harness seem pretty expensive at West Marine. Are there other places in USA that sell them? Any input would be appreciated... Not planning on crossing oceans but I guess that doesn't matter because accidents can happen anywhere.
High Quality = long lasting, will work when needed.
Low Quality = money in the pocket, "iffy" functionality.

Built-in Harness = can always clip on with tether when desired.
No Harness = must switch between PFD / harness depending on circumstances. If you wear them.

Re-read the comments from other sailors up above - there's plenty of "advice" on what people wear, and when. You indicate that you're a newbie at this, true? Ask yourself: Will you have the same sure-footed stance and confidence in how a sailing vessel moves as, say, somebody that's been sailing for years upon years?

Other questions might be:

How sure are you that you'll never fall overboard?
How confident are you that if overboard, you'll be rescued?
No matter what you purchase, will you wear it?
How much is YOUR life worth to YOU?

Your personal, properly sized, high quality PFD with built-in harness close to hand aboard is better than alternatives on the vendor's shelf. But that's just me talking, and only since you asked for advice.

Ye pays yer money and ye take yer chances.

{And here I just posted some minutes ago that people can do what they want on their boat.... and I gotta open up my yap anyway! }
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 16:35   #92

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Whatever you buy, make sure you like it! I waited an extra few days to buy one that was the colour I wanted. I'm a long way from vain, but I knew that I would be much more likely to wear it if I actually liked it!
A $1,000 life jacket is no use to you if its stowed away!
I think, in your shoes, I would buy a self inflating slimline PFD. I'd also try and find one that will force your face out of the water if you're out-of-it. I'm not sure how well that combines with 'slimline'.
Old 25-03-2013, 17:42   #93

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailor Washed Overboard Drowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777 View Post
I am about to buy my first decent life vest. I am leaving for 6 days from ft. Lauderdale going south to Biscayne bay and then up the gulf spam back at the end to earn my ASA Basic Keelboat, Coastal Cruising and Bareboat Charter from Blue Water School of Sailing.
What kind of life vest should I get? I am then gonna buy probably an IP27 sailboat so i want to get something that will last. Should I get one of the expensive ones that also have a harness or should I just get the basic inflatable. The ones with a harness seem pretty expensive at West Marine. Are there other places in USA that sell them? input would be appreciated... Not planning on crossing oceans but I guess that doesn't matter because accidents can happen anywhere.
You and wannabe have me feeling like a bully today. This kind of question above bothers me. You're "gonna buy probably" an IP27, and you think ... Man, you guys have too much time. How bout Wannabe mentioning getting one you likes the looks of ... that's a new idea!

I'm smiling now. Thanks, gents.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 18:03   #94

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Glad we can make you smile!
One day I might learn to speak Blue-Crab, then I might understand what you're thinking when you write... I can't figure out whether you consider my advice to be sound, but 'old and often repeated' or wether you think that asthetics dont play any part in peoples decisions to don a PFD.
Either way... glad you're smiling.
Old 25-03-2013, 18:16   #95

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailor Washed Overboard Drowns

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 20:16   #96

Boat: Pearson 303

WOW good topic! One thing that my son taught me was not just clip on-but, when your sailing, anchored or just adrift leave your drop ladder down where you can reach it in the case you want to get back up. I leave my fire ladder role down with the pull rode just touching the water for quick accsess. When I was sailing north and SANDY was on its way, I saw the tall ship "Bounty" heading south into the storm, I tried to hail her with no answer, I thought to myself..what a nutcase. That's the type of Captain that gives us all a bad name. God rest his sole.. I heard about 1 hrs later the CG stated that a man got thrown over but was tie to a rode and pulled him behind the boat till he was gone. Apparently, he was hanging on to the rode but could not pull himself back up (no ladder down). Never heard any more on it. The bottom line is that I feel very strong that sailors must use extreme caution when weather is bad.. I did, and survived 16 to 21ft sea's and 35-58 knot winds before landfall in Virginia to be hauled out just in time. I thank god, for knowing when to call it a end.. and lived to tell about it. Linda

In my wast-pack I carry - Radio (the mini), a one man sitter Raft with CO_2 pull (made in Germany) and a remote boat kill button.
Old 25-03-2013, 21:49   #97

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Around here, the ones who wear their vests on in the harbor are the ones who are taking sailing classes. However, its a rule that all racers have a life jacket on when racing.
I don't believe that wearing a life jacket is always required while racing. There is a flag to fly when the race committee deems life jackets will be required. The SI for a particular race can require life jackets. The ICSA (college sailing) has a rule that life jackets are always required.

From Racing Rules of Sailing 2013-2016:
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documen...5B13376%5D.pdf

40 PERSONAL FLOTATION DEVICES
When flag Y is displayed with one sound before or with the warning
signal, competitors shall wear personal flotation devices, except
briefly while changing or adjusting clothing or personal equipment.
Wet suits and dry suits are not personal flotation devices.

From college sailing rules:
http://collegesailing.org/wp-content...ural_rules.pdf

13 c:
Personal Flotation Devices (PFD) – Inherently buoyant personal flotation devices (USCG
Certified Non-Inflatable Type III or Type V) shall be worn by all student-athletes while on the
water. PFDs shall be worn outside all clothing and weather gear">foul weather gear, except that a thin shirt or
team uniform (See PR 13(e)) may be worn over the PFD. PFDs are not required when ashore or
on objects attached to shore. PR 13(c) shall be enforced at all times, in all ICSA regattas. (PR
13(c) changes RRS 40 and the Part 4 preamble.)
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 22:10   #98

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

If it is hot outside I can see a lifejacket may be uncomfortable to wear all the time,
but what about these belt ones, seems a rather minor appendage:

nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:19   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

A lot of thoughts come to mind with this thread. "Not fun" is stated as a reason for not tying in. Well, sailing in the PNW is often not fun, because safety takes priority. Maybe I should rephrase that: it is a different fun than all day off the west coast of Florida. Its fun in its own sort of way.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:53   #100

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I clip on day and night, only the calms and with someone with me in the cokpit i leave the pfd inside, time agoo when sailing i tow a long line with a fender , like the last resort in case of MOB , and i dont know if the Autopilot makers have like a option something like a remote control pad and in case you fall overboard the autopilot make the boat sail in circles or just click the Standby , could be a good idea ....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:55   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
If it is hot outside I can see a lifejacket may be uncomfortable to wear all the time,
but what about these belt ones, seems a rather minor appendage:

This one looks cool too! My unit goes all around but sorta-flat on back. The 1-person raft bag is folded up inside and you climb into it after deployed. Iv'e looked online but cant find one like mine. I'll have to ask my son where he found it to share with you. I tried it out and looks great. you have to use your hands cupped together though to bail it out though. It looks like the same material you find in your life-vest with thin rubber coating. Here's a rough drawing . Linda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raft.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	57965  
Old 26-03-2013, 12:06   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
I clip on day and night, only the calms and with someone with me in the cokpit i leave the pfd inside, time agoo when sailing i tow a long line with a fender , like the last resort in case of MOB , and i dont know if the Autopilot makers have like a option something like a remote control pad and in case you fall overboard the autopilot make the boat sail in circles or just click the Standby , could be a good idea ....
All you have to do is "kill the engine(dc-relay), issue Auto-pilot(turn the wheel till stop and hold. and for boom actuate solenoid to release boom rig or drop the sails from the mast head. even if you don't do the jib..it wont go very far fast bur in circles. And the button! Radio is water-proof and keyed with your privet frequency. up to 1/2 mile.

On the other side..l Wouldn't it be funny as to you keyed your (mike) and you see all hell on the water happends...lol
Old 26-03-2013, 12:23   #103

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Lol! Nahhh seriously, !!! could be a nice safety feature, Raymarine sell a wireless remote control and is waterproof, dont know the working distance and if is really waterproof or splashprof, but with a couple of add safety features like if the control is far from the seatalk computer at a ceratin distance triger a alarm MOB and the seatalk put the course in circles or swicht the Pilot in standby things will be diferent in a MOB scenario in case crew is not aware of your situation....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 13:50   #104
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
but what about these belt ones, seems a rather minor
Very similar to mine. And mine is great. I don't normally wear one but like it is you can just sling it over the head and shoulder on the way forward etc

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 14:04   #105
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

What you need is a fashion bike helmet that doubles as a life preserver.

Check it out:

How Hövding works - The invisible helmet for bicyclists

Good for those boom bangs on the head as well, and you can wear it out dancing.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard