Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 16:40   #46

Boat: Southern Cross 39
Re: Sailing rules in BVI are applicable?

Sorry to go off-topic

I spent a few years on those "Bird farms" in the Navy. It looks exactly like an INSURV (Board of Inspection and Survey) or sea trial following an overhaul. Max speed, rudder from stop to stop, emergency stops, full reverse backdowns, etc. Periodically commissioned ships have to prove to Congress that the nation is getting what they pay for.

INSURV and ORSE (Operation Reactor Safeguard Exam) failures generally result in at the least the Chief Engineer or Reactor Officer, and often the Captain, being relieved.

It's a blast to feel a 95,000 ton ship go from 30+ kt forward to full reverse. It leaves a "skidmark" wake on the ocean a mile long, like a kid slamming on his bicycles brakes on gravel.
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 19:09   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The C-17 is hokey of course, but this is real
https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGc...MAK_TA/img.gif
WHAT's, hokey about the C-17 Globemaster? Ya don't think the US Air Force wasn't just practicing touch and goes to irritate the US Navy?

Pulling that off would certainly become cause for the aircraft carrier to perform the evasive S turn maneuvers and the pilot would earn Green grading. For sure the C-17 would consume the entirety of the Six Pack on the flight deck and then sum.

But a somewhat smaller plane, a venerable C-130 made many touch and gos, unarrested landings and unassisted takeoffs on the USS Forestall, the navy's first supercarrier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uM5AI3YSV3M
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:37   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Whoa looks as if the wingtips almost touch the deck!

I’m sure they do, it has wear strips that I think are very similar to Starboard so that the wing tips can contact the runway.
It has a bicycle landing gear arrangement and is apparently a real bear to land, it’s normally chased by a car with another pilot aboard the car.
I’m not sure why as Radar altimeters have been around for a very long time.
It’s such a bear to land its nickname is the Dragon Lady.

I was astonished to see it had been carrier qualified, either it’s not really all that hard to land, or this guy is an extraordinary pilot.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:41   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
WHAT's, hokey about the C-17 Globemaster? Ya don't think the US Air Force wasn't just practicing touch and goes to irritate the US Navy?

Pulling that off would certainly become cause for the aircraft carrier to perform the evasive S turn maneuvers and the pilot would earn Green grading. For sure the C-17 would consume the entirety of the Six Pack on the flight deck and then sum.

But a somewhat smaller plane, a venerable C-130 made many touch and gos, unarrested landings and unassisted takeoffs on the USS Forestall, the navy's first supercarrier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uM5AI3YSV3M

Look at the name of the C-130
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, rule, sail, sailing