Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 01:28   #16

Re: Sailing and alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
For Queensland, see Alcohol rules (Maritime Safety Queensland) I am pretty sure the rules are the same in NSW. The DUI rules in Queensland have not been tested in the courts, I believe. I have read several articles in the papers by solicitors who think the legislation is flawed, and would not stand up to challenge. Needs someone to test it out. Someone with lots of money.

I have been breathalysed 3 times at anchor, so it does happen. Typically, the police, or MSQ + police will swoop into an anchorage, go from boat to boat, breathalyse and check safeties. Only the police have the power to breathalyse.

Lee
And if you refuse? In the states, at least in California, refusal of a breathalyser can result in suspension of driver's license. However, no licensing is required to skipper your own watercraft.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 01:31   #17

BTW, FWIW, not sure if it fits here. The one and ONLY time I ever got more than tipsy (drunk) was when the bilge alarm sounded at 0300. It was a sign, never again.
Old 30-04-2013, 01:37   #18

Hmmm, interesting thread. I didn't realize you could be subject to a breathalyzer while at anchor. Does anyone know if this is true is SC? I generally keep my boat on the hook to avoid marina fees and I'd bet there are some nights I've been pushing the limit.
jkangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 01:38   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Yes, aside from the legalities, drinking too much around boats is far more dangerous than many believe. In the years I was out cruising, the majority of deaths that I knew of were related to drinking, and usually from trying to get back on the boat after a night at the pub - with the boat tied up in the marina.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 03:12   #20

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
... They also lose points on their vehicle drivers license as well.
What if you don't have a driving licence? (I started sailing long before I started driving...)
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 03:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
What if you don't have a driving licence?
Your actions (DUI) would guarantee it.
Old 30-04-2013, 03:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Yes, aside from the legalities, drinking too much around boats is far more dangerous than many believe. In the years I was out cruising, the majority of deaths that I knew of were related to drinking, and usually from trying to get back on the boat after a night at the pub - with the boat tied up in the marina.

Greg
The year following my relinquishment of a position on a "highliner" in the commercial fleet, the boat capsized. There is much to the story but that skipper was deathly afraid of going into the water. This because of an incident of years before.

He had come down the finger dock to his boat when he slipped and fell into the water. It was night and he had been drinking. With one arm to himself and the other holding fast to the 6 pack of beer, he was able to take hold of the dock trying to remain fast against a current in full flood. For 45 minutes he clung to life before someone heard his cries.

He died of a severe heart attack on the bridge when the boat turned. His face a ghostly white he was immovable and unresponsive. As if I was there I can see his face, I saw it coming. Many others also had this vision. The man who took my place recounted to me the exact scene I had in my mind for years prior.

Secondly, a good friend wound up in the hospital with sever injuries due to the actions of a drunken skipper. That prick had run up on a water skier while on a lake. After taking out the skier the boat driver decided to change course--directly for a near shore. The boat went aground at full speed and all were launched through the windscreen. My friend was lucky to keep his arm and half his face.

Drinking and water do not mix. Make no mistake, I love my whiskey. But hell no, no more drinking whilst upon the waters.

Lastly, Bismarck Dinius.
Old 30-04-2013, 07:03   #23

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
---

Lastly, Bismarck Dinius.
OK, what's that?
Old 30-04-2013, 07:17   #24

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Sailing and Alcohol

I believe it is different than in a car here in the US. For example, you will see folks with open containers (beer) heading out and coming back in............and you definitely cannot do that in a car.........legally.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:25   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Wow ... can't drink while at anchor? Here in the true north strong and free (Canada) you can drink while anchored or at a dock. You cannot drink while "operating." As long as you are "fixed" to the land in some way (anchor, moor, dock), then you are not considered to be under way -- not operating.

I guess I'll have to be careful in some US states, and places like Oz.
Old 30-04-2013, 07:30   #26
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post

Greg

I know someone who lost a finger (right down to the base of her hand) while loosening a line under tension -- and alcohol. I actually made her a man in the blog, because it's so incredible. It was just a little dinghy -- and, so, a smaller line, and it tightened and cut her finger right off.

Another friend fell into his cabin climbing OUT of his cabin -- with another bottle of wine to share. A woman I knew fell getting out of her dinghy onto her boat. It was Feb. She was too drunk to get back into the dinghy and apparently couldn't lower her ladder from the water, so she swam to shore. The people who found her, including an RN, thought she was confused from hypothermia, but she was drunk. It's a miracle she's still alive.

All it takes is one boat with a wake, and if you're "tipsy" (think about that name) -- you could take a bad fall. I'm really not comfortable with alcohol in any significant amount on my boat. It's my insurance on the line.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:31   #27
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I believe it is different than in a car here in the US. For example, you will see folks with open containers (beer) heading out and coming back in............and you definitely cannot do that in a car.........legally.

You're inviting a boarding and a breathlyzer test ... and you wouldn't be doing it on my boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:39   #28

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
You're inviting a boarding and a breathlyzer test ... and you wouldn't be doing it on my boat.
I said I have seen it...............folks with open containers. Plus, it's sort of a tradition drinking and sailing. You sound like a guy that simply doesn't drink much was is great but for those of us that do and are responsible there isn't a problem.

Like having a beer after you hit the creek and are motoring in I don't see that as a problem and I'm doubting you would get a ticket for it. Or even having a few beers at anchor as long as you are in control I cannot see a normal Marine Policeman giving you a breathalyzer test.

Also, haven't you ever seen boats all rafted up together on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. They are all usually drinking..........
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 13:49   #29

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

At least in Oregon an open container on a boat, or even consumption by the operator, is allowed. But the DUII standard of 0.08% is enforced as well. Sipping on a beer might encourage a look-see by a passing LEO but is no problem of itself; get drunk and things can get serious.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 13:50   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
And if you refuse? In the states, at least in California, refusal of a breathalyser can result in suspension of driver's license. However, no licensing is required to skipper your own watercraft.

In Aus, refusal to a breathalyser is a criminal offence, providing the police are within the law in requesting same. Fines, jail, suspension of vehicle licence and or boat drivers licence are all on the menu. In most states of Aus, it is an offence to operate a vessel without that states equivalent of a boat drivers licence. I think the Northern Territory is still free and easy.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing