Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 18:08   #46

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well I can't disagree with MarkJ...when hurricanes are around its a good time to be in an armchair but I'm still somewhat amazed that they survived as 100 knot winds and large seas are usually times when you put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

I've never recommended keeping an Ass on your boat - they stumble about on their hooves and are utterly useless during an emergency...
Old 12-08-2014, 18:33   #47

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I haven't seen this commented about on CF, but it appears as though we can add one more cruising sailboat that has been abandoned this year.

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Co...ismasted-yacht

Is it just a coincidence, my imagination or have there been a significant number of boats abandoned this year? Is it the same ratio of cruising boats to abandonment as in previous years but there's so many more cruisers out there that it just appears to be more? Are cruisers getting more lax in their maintenance, eg, not replacing standing rigging as often as they should? Are there more abandonments because the weather has gotten worse due to global climate change? Are fewer cruisers capable of dealing with heavy weather?

I feel bad for all of those who have lost their boats and I feel worse for the families and friends of those who have lost their lives. Regardless, I'm concerned over the rash of abandonments. From what I understand, Kiwis have to have their boats inspected by a government agency prior to going off shore if they want to have insurance. I know that flies in the face of most cruisers, who are an independent, self-sufficient lot and typically resent any government regulations. But, how many abandonments do there have to be before there is a collective decision that a real problem exists?

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 18:56   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

and because each and everuy abandonment has been for a different reason, what could that action possibly be--
disallowing cruising??
charging for rescue???
make a law saying something equally inane???
puleeze. get over this nanny bs. we go out because we want to go out. we know we may not come back. some also understand that if they screw up they will be saved. maybe.
it is well known that furycames are tracked and airplanes fly over and through them. this is lucky for hte crew on the overwhelmed sailboat.
nhschneider--what kind of action do you suggest be taken as regards these not similar incidents??
do you intend to cruise??
in what way would stringent regulations (on nothing in common) help your cruising.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 19:32   #49

Calm heads in a tumultuous situation can prevail.

Sent from my Z796C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
flagbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 19:49   #50

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
and because each and everuy abandonment has been for a different reason, what could that action possibly be--
disallowing cruising??
charging for rescue???
make a law saying something equally inane???
puleeze. get over this nanny bs. we go out because we want to go out. we know we may not come back. some also understand that if they screw up they will be saved. maybe.
it is well known that furycames are tracked and airplanes fly over and through them. this is lucky for hte crew on the overwhelmed sailboat.
nhschneider--what kind of action do you suggest be taken as regards these not similar incidents??
do you intend to cruise??
in what way would stringent regulations (on nothing in common) help your cruising.....
You misread my post. I was not suggesting anything but rather merely asking the questions. In fact, I suppose that if some government agency demanded to inspect my boat for it's seaworthyness prior to allowing me to depart, I would probably reply not-so-politely.

Still, you didn't answer my first question: Is there a significant rise in cruising sailboat abandonements? If so, why? Is there anything we can do about it? Or do we just ignore it and assume that its just part of the risk of cruising?

By they way, I have covered over 25,000 miles in the last four years and am halfway through my first circumnavigation, having cruised tens of thousands miles prior to my departure.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 20:12   #51

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
...Or do we just ignore it and assume that its just part of the risk of cruising? ...
That's my take.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 20:34   #52

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Be. M. M

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 20:41   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

It may have to do with the aging of the fleet. But that is strictly speculation on my part. I have been keeping track of the ones I hear about and so far has been quite a mixture of boats and situations. It does seem like there is one constant and that is bad weather. However that is probably a given as most boats don't get into trouble when the weather is fine and the seas are calm. However one boat did have its rudder snap off in rather benign conditions.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 21:10   #54

It is interesting that the photos in post 16 dont show the tattered staysail, yet the video in post 28 show what is left of a staysail beating itself to death. I dont know how long the planes were overhead taking photos, but maybe the CG told them to take the rag down. That carport over the cockpit could not have helped the boats handling. I also wonder that if they didnt have a working SSB, did they have a barometer??? The boat looks like hell , but I bet the crew was in worse shape than the boat. Just another 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 22:31   #55

The hurricane was forecast to hit Hawaii, it didn't. Yes it did go in the general direction as forecast but it doesn't take much for a boat to hit or miss these as they are generally smaller storms. It is doubtful if he had had a weather station onboard that it would have made a huge difference.

There are always boats being lost, the first year we sailed through the South Pacific there were 11 boats lost and we knew several of them.
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 22:38   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There were photos of the actual rescue on the local news. From the quick glimpse, they brought Walk About up to the freighter and looked like there was no mast when they did that. They tried to bring them aboard the night before with the ship streaming a life raft in its wake but the WA crew couldn't make the transfer to the raft. Looks like conditions may have moderated a bit by the morning. The photos from the CG flyby the day before show truly awesome waves though doesn't look hurricane force winds. According to the TV report, a tracking beacon has been placed aboard WA so salvage is a good possibility. There have been at least two boats that were abandoned to the East of Hawaii that ended up either aground or floating in waters of the islands.

All you need is a cheap short wave receiver to keep track of bad weather. WWV broadcasts a significant weather location position every hour. That's what we used when we sailed to the Marquesas in the middle of hurricane season. No problem in keeping track of the storms. Was a bit of an issue with the unpredictability of the storms themselves. Isell and Julio were no surprise, however. They tracked almost exactly as the forecast. The skipper of WA should have headed due north or as close to that heading as he could sail before Isell came through. They had no real problems with Isell as it tracked further south. If they'd headed north when Isell got close, they would have been out of the worst of the effects of Julio even though it tracked further north.

Apparently the damage that caused the abandonment was an abnormally large wave that rolled the boat ripping off the main hatch, life raft and flooding the boat. With the main hatch gone, the bilge pump couldn't get ahead of the water that was in the boat from the knock down and coming in from the open hatch.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 01:43   #57

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Note to Zeehag:

Zee, please stop this "it takes at least 4-6 weeks to sail from California (no matter how you spell it) to Hawaii. That's just not true for most boats. Look at the results of the Single handed transpac (yes, a race, but small boats and small crews galore). Or just consider the distance: depending on your port of origin, it is on the order of 2200 miles, mostly downwind in teh trades. Even CT41s do better than 100 miles per day under those conditions, so less than 22 days is EASY. OH, when Ann and I did it the first time in a Yankee-30 (25 foot LWL) we arrived in 16 days and a few hours, departing from SF. Our first blue water trip, and on celestial nav to boot.

So, you might reconsider your statements. Of course, you also might not...

And my sympathy to the crew and owner of the Walkabout.

Jim
Old 15-08-2014, 05:33   #58
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Here is the last report with an interview of the captain. They did have some way to receive weather reports and where trying to avoid the hurricane. Sounds like really bad luck.
Stranded sailors describe 'perfect storm,' rescue - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Old 15-08-2014, 06:02   #59

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Quote:
... So, you might reconsider your statements. Of course, you also might not...
Words for many of us.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 06:25   #60

Wonderful and a rare ending to what probably should have been a tragedy. When you think about the boats sunk in the Atlantic the conditions were rough but on the moderate side compared to these boys.
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii, sail, sailboat