Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2021, 17:43   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Running a Dehumidifier for two weeks straight?

Hello everyone, I have a simple question. I live on my sailboat two straight weeks out of the month.

When I’m away from the sailboat two straight weeks would you recommend running a simple Caframo?

I’ve been hesitant having something plugged in while I’m gone for two weeks, but this time back on the sailboat my bed sheets had a musky smell to them.

What do you think? Just run the Caframo dehumidifier while I’m gone and stop over thinking it?

Thank you in advance - Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 18:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Running a Dehumidifier for two weeks straight?

I don't think it's big enough to make a noticeable difference. For the wattage you'd be better off with a heat lamp and some ventilation.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 18:05   #3

Boat: Island Packet 349

I am running a 110V dehumidifier from September till June all the time as long as the boat is connected to the shore power.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 18:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I don't think it's big enough to make a noticeable difference. For the wattage you'd be better off with a heat lamp and some ventilation.
Thank you Lepke
Old 10-01-2021, 18:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I am running a 110V dehumidifier from September till June all the time as long as the boat is connected to the shore power.
Thank you Lost Horizons!

Yes I’ll just run my 100 watt dehumidifier while I’m gone. I’m also plugged into shore power while I’m gone.
Old 10-01-2021, 18:39   #6

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

I run a compressor based dehumidifier whenever I'm away from the boat. It made a big difference in "boat aroma" when you return from a 3 week absence.

I does not get that cold in PNW and even when it freezing the water is still 45deg-ish, so the compressor works fine.
Old 10-01-2021, 19:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
I run a compressor based dehumidifier whenever I'm away from the boat. It made a big difference in "boat aroma" when you return from a 3 week absence.

I does not get that cold in PNW and even when it freezing the water is still 45deg-ish, so the compressor works fine.
Thank you Ronstory!
Old 11-01-2021, 08:14   #8

Boat: Beneteau 343

I run one of these anytime I am connected to shore power:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-20-pt...20LY/310574305

Makes a big difference in my boat. I have been doing it for many years; now on my second unit.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:17   #9

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I also run a 110v dehumidifier all winter … drains into sink. It has made wintering much better - no mildew!
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:21   #10

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

All winter the boat is connected to shore power & I run a compressor dehumidifier set to mid point for humidity, plus a 1250 watt convector heater set to come on at or below 7 degrees C. Also leave the smart battery chargers on. Doesnt use that much electricity but does mean I dont have to unload the boat. Works fine. I have advised my insurers but not heard anything back.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:29   #11

Boat: tartan 3400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Hello everyone, I have a simple question. I live on my sailboat two straight weeks out of the month.

When I’m away from the sailboat two straight weeks would you recommend running a simple Caframo?

I’ve been hesitant having something plugged in while I’m gone for two weeks, but this time back on the sailboat my bed sheets had a musky smell to them.

What do you think? Just run the Caframo dehumidifier while I’m gone and stop over thinking it?

Thank you in advance - Sam
We have ac/heat on our boat in humid Galveston Bay.We run dehumidifier mode in winter and a/c in summer. It makes a big difference here. You need to plug dorado or other vents.

Years ago on the Chesapeake with a 30 foot sloop, we ran a day/night solar vent, and occasionally an ozone generator. Ozone in low level freshens air/ kill mildew.Higher concentrations can be corrosive.

My day/night solar vent was ok... when I was on my boat weekly. A low watt lamps (incandescent) near the cabin sole in a ventilated boat may be all you need, and would be better.
A small dehumidifier that would drain overboard (galley sink) or bilge makes a difference needed- you would need shore power. A/C is more too, at cost. The absorbents made to put in closets - I have found worthless... but may be okay if in closets. Good luck.
t-3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:30   #12

We got a Perfect Aire dehumidifier from Ace for about $110. it has a feature to set base comfort. We keep it set at 35%. It is running off shorepower (but it can run off genset or inverter). if the power (AC 110v) goes off it comes back on. The first week we removed gallons of water (emptied 1.5 gallon reservoir at least twice a day). The lack of clammy sheets was the coolest gig! it stays pretty dry now, except when we sleep on boat for more than three days, it removes over a gallon of moisture in about 2-3 hours and . Yes we leave it plugged into 110 (shorepower). We are around boat alot so just use it's internal 1.5 gallon tank. If I was going to be gone for weeks I would probably run it to drain into a sink or bildge. most come with either a drain hose or a lift pump hose. Power wise, it is way less than we thought! I dont think you will have a problem leaving it for weeks. Its become such a good friend to the boat we dont mind the storage gig. We have to walk around it a bit in the stateroom. But we usually give it a loving pat as we go past. You will LOVE the result. Give it a try while you are on board. at under $150, it will rock your world.
mikehmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:35   #13
PJS

Boat: 2008 40' Sea Ray Sundancer

Yes, you can. I run a dehumidifier 24x7from Oct to April with no issues. I use a heavy duty heat pump dehumidifier that generates a small amount of heat from the heat coils and it keeps the cabin temp around 63F. Use a direct drain dehumidifier and run a/the small drain line to a sump. Makes a world of difference in the cabin and allows for little time when we decide in a whim to overnight or head out.
I open doors and cabinets to insure there is air exchange.
PJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
+1 I run the dehumidifier continuously when I am away from the boat and the boat is connected to shore power.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:56   #15

Boat: Pearson 10M

I suspect that in addition to running the dehumidifier you'll be more comfortable if you strip the sheets when you leave and put fresh dry sheets on when you return.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote