Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 09:00   #16

Boat: C&C 37, 1985
Re: Running a Dehumidifier for two weeks straight?

Yes, and you should—you know mildew is a monster in the PNW. We’re aboard for a couple weekends/mo over the winter in Poulsbo, Wa. When gone from the boat, we use the crystal dehumidifier baskets in holds and closets and this air drier in the cabin space: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--air-dryer-with-fan-dehumidifier-120v-ac--7867518

We also don’t keep sheets on and prop the mattress cushions up to air out while we’re gone. So far so good.
subdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:03   #17

We never turn ours off.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:21   #18

Boat: Outremer 51

I store my boat in the tropics so I bought a dehumidifier from Mermaid. It is simple, reliable and keeps the whole boat dry when I am away and boat is plugged into shore power. I have been very happy with it so far.

Hamish
https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/dehumidifier/
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:30   #19

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

I put mine on timers to run twice a day 4 hours each time.
Louise
lsearite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:01   #20

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I run a dehumidifier and a small heater (for when I am involved inside) on the same timer connected to shore power. Have been doing so for several years. We keep or vessel in water so there is more condensation on the hull. No smells, no humidity, and the vessel is warn enough to work inside when I have projects
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:25   #21

I'm always on shore power and I run a Caframo 9 months a year 24/7 which seems to help keep things dry. I also try to keep the bilge as dry as possible and in addition I have a Gel Air Purifier from WM on the boat which smells pretty good. When we visit and stay on the boat we usually bring nice clean sleeping bags from home. This combination works well for us.
Tigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:50   #22

Boat: Islander 37

I have been using dehumidifier for 3 years, it has been such a benefit my mildew even leaky hatch problems solved, I have replaced dehumidifier on boat second year not because it failed but I wished to have new eq. on boat unsupervised. I reside in PNW wet moist environment, this has brought about fresh boat smell every boarding. fair winds
patrick brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:11   #23

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

We are in the PNW and a dehumidifier is required equipment! When on shore power or generator we use this dehumidifier that is very highly rated on Amazon. It works really well for us.

Two things make it great for leaving it on when you're off the boat-

1. It has an automatic setting that turns it up when the humidity rises, and down when the humidity is low.

2. It has a water reservoir that can be bypassed by inserting a hose routed to a sink drain so you don't need to worry about overflow.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 13:24   #24

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus

I run one of these 110v units whenever I'm away from the boat.
I modified the tank with a drain tube, so it drains into the sink
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Breeze-El...400074&sr=8-21
Old 11-01-2021, 13:29   #25

Boat: Colegate 26

If you're attached to shore power I don't think the power consumption should be a concern. My three built in aircon units have dehumidify settings. If you're not plugged in, yikes, I don't think solar could keep up unless you have an absurd amount of solar and battery.

The other thing to worry about is safety. There's a small chance it could cause unwanted problems.

But our solution has been Damprid buckets. We just load the boat up with several of them. So far it's seemed to be effective.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 13:33   #26

If you are up here in Blaine, yes run a small heater or dehumidifier at low power. Turn up cushions etc helps too. A couple of those Caframo or Davis Air Drier things dont draw much power for safety, low risk and work well.

https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrum...97263917&psc=1

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 13:48   #27

Boat: Beneteau, 423, 43'2"

I have run my AC/Heater unit on the dehumidifier setting for two months at a time in Key West while I was away. Not doing so in that warm damp climate will grow a considerable amount of mildew. As I understand it, the dehumidifier setting uses a small amount of power relative to the AC or heater settings. Similarly, it generates less stress on the compressor unit. The fan still runs all the time.
sasirles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 20:01   #28

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Absolutely one the best things I do for my boat is running a dehumidifier in to my galley sink.
I also open my bilge, fridge door, freezer door, and cabinets to suck the moisture out. I come back to a fresh, dry boat. If it is smells musty, I will run the cheap ($30) ozone machine for a few hours while running to West Marine, Home Depot, or favorite watering hole. The boat smells fresh and dry. I have been thinking about running ozone for an hour each day on timer.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote