Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 10:21   #1

Question from newbie, Cal-25 and trailer

Hello Everyone!

I'm sorry if this is a question asked all the time , but I am new to sailing and I would like to ask about trailers and this brand of boat. I'm looking for a boat I can start off on, go on half-week cruises along the CA coast. As well as trailer it at my house.

1.) I have heard that trailering anything over 30 ft is a big hassle, I found this Cal-25 and I was wondering if you guys think it would be a good boat to trailer? As well as, is this also a good boat to start sailing with? Can I even launch it by myself? I notice this company is out of business too.

Cal 25 sailboat with avail slip

2.) I also found this trailer, do you guys think it will work or will I have to modify it? Thanks everyone.

1989 SAILBOAT TRAILER GALV.
BakoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 23:19   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Question from newbie, Cal-25 and trailer

Hello!

For the record the boat you are looking at is a Cal 2-25. You could put it on a trailer, but not the one you had a link to. You could launch it, but you would need a tongue extender because in order to get the boat deep enough the trailer will have to go way in. I actually have a trailer that I got for my boat (a Columbia 29) but I now I am doubting it will work for me. I think it was designed for a boat like the CAL. So if you get serious about it, let me know and perhaps I'll part with it. Send me a private message with your email and I'll send you a shot of it. It was meant for launching a deeper keel boat like the CAL. The trailer you show was meant for a swing keel boat. Now as far as the CAL being a good coastal boat, I'd say yes, but what did you have in mind. Catalina? I think it would be ok for that. It is not a very heavy boat, it will sail pretty fast, but it can get tossed around a little more. I'd have it surveyed of course. I don't know where you are but in Channel Islands harbor there is storage and a hoist that would handle that boat so you would not need to take down the mast or tow it to the ramp. Price is reasonable too. Anacapa Island is only 11 miles away, nice daysailing in the summer.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:23   #3

Thanks very much, yeah I kinda had the feeling like that trailer would need some modification. I'll send you my e-mail through a PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:14   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day BG,

IMO, if you want to trailer sail, buy a boat that is designed for the task. Trailering a fixed fin keel boat can be done, but only with considerable difficulty. First, as mentioned above, to ramp launch, a very long tongue extension is necessary...very long! Second, many ramps do not go far enough out to get into deep enough water, even with the long tongue. Third, stepping and unstepping the mast when it isn't designed to be done manually can be very daunting, or even impossible for a small crew.

When there are so many designs that take all these factors in hand, IMO you would be better served by choosing one! Boats like Catalina 25, various Ventures/Macgregors, O'Days etc are plentiful on the used market in California... have a good look around before you decide.

Jim
Old 11-01-2016, 22:23   #5

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day BG,

IMO, if you want to trailer sail, buy a boat that is designed for the task. Trailering a fixed fin keel boat can be done, but only with considerable difficulty. First, as mentioned above, to ramp launch, a very long tongue extension is necessary...very long! Second, many ramps do not go far enough out to get into deep enough water, even with the long tongue. Third, stepping and unstepping the mast when it isn't designed to be done manually can be very daunting, or even impossible for a small crew.

When there are so many designs that take all these factors in hand, IMO you would be better served by choosing one! Boats like Catalina 25, various Ventures/Macgregors, O'Days etc are plentiful on the used market in California... have a good look around before you decide.

Jim
Old 12-01-2016, 11:50   #6

I am pretty forgiving when it comes to ideas for boat purchases... but I may have to draw the line at Ventures and MacGregors, unless it's for a lake.. a calm one.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 12-01-2016, 14:38   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I am pretty forgiving when it comes to ideas for boat purchases... but I may have to draw the line at Ventures and MacGregors, unless it's for a lake.. a calm one.
Any experience to back that up, Don? I'm not a big fan of those marques, but way back when, I was racing my Catalina 22 in the SF Bay under SYRA and the next division was for Ventures. We Catalina owners looked down on them (!!), but in fact, even in SF Bay, where it is anything but a calm lake, they were not having big failure issues.

Thus, I reckon that they would serve as a learning platform for the OP without risking his well being.

Jim
Old 12-01-2016, 16:47   #8
cruiser

Just got back from Florida where my brother-in-law had his 21' open-water fishing boat on a galvanized two axle trailer. He launches and retrieves the boat four or five times a week. Although he is very careful about maintaining his equipment, the trailer became so rusty that it suffered a structural failure while I was there. Fortunately it did not happen at speed. He replaced it with an aluminum trailer and was adamant that he would never again consider a galvanized trailer for salt water use.

Although he religiously washes the boat and trailer with freshwater after every use, it is impossible to get all the saltwater out of the inner spaces of the trailer.

If you launch only with a lift or crane, no problems!

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 20:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Any experience to back that up, Don? I'm not a big fan of those marques, but way back when, I was racing my Catalina 22 in the SF Bay under SYRA and the next division was for Ventures. We Catalina owners looked down on them (!!), but in fact, even in SF Bay, where it is anything but a calm lake, they were not having big failure issues.

Thus, I reckon that they would serve as a learning platform for the OP without risking his well being.

Jim
Many years ago I had an acquaintance who actually lived aboard a Venture in Santa Barbara, in the anchorage! Occasionally he'd sail it out into the Channel and he claimed he sailed it to the islands. He was quite an unusual soul, had very few possessions so the boat was lightly loaded. I have to confess I don't recall he had any major failures either, but it is a real testament to the strength of thin fiberglass and thin wire rigging that he didn't! He never asked me to go sailing with him, but I would have politely refused if he had. Sorry Venture owners! On the Bay I might have had fun pushing one to its limits though, knowing help was close by!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
cal