Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 14:04   #1

Question about what to do with Dinghy??

I apologize if this comes off as too newb of a question but I have dreamt of sailing for a long time and once I finish my career change I intend on doing recreational sailing before attempting some long term stuff. I understand that to save money many people just drop anchor or hook up to a mooring ball and then use a dinghy to get ashore. My question is what do you do with the dinghy once you reach the dock? Won't they charge you to "dock" the dinghy essentially making the anchoring/mooring a moot point? I understand you would save some money because the dinghy is not as big but is there a way to do it without having to pay any money. It seems as though this small cost can add up over time.

Thank you for taking the time to answer what is probably a dumb question but I am still very new to this. Haven't even purchased a boat yet!!!!!
Molesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 17:16   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Question about what to do with Dinghy??

Most popular destinations have a dinghy dock where you can leave your dinghy tied up for free while ashore. A relatively small dock will handle a lot of dinghys if everyone has a 10' painter so the next boat has room to get in close to disembark. Sadly many people tie up with short painters making it difficult for those new arrivals. I usually lengthen their painters.....discretely of course.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 17:39   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well welcome here! Remember there are no dumb questions! But if there were yours would be one of the.... nah just kidding. It's actually a very good one and answers will of course vary according to region/type of harbor and/or adjoining anchorage. But are you referring to living on a boat at anchor and then commuting into a harbor or marina from an anchorage? In that case do what I did and make friends with someone who will let you keep your dinghy tied up next to their boat!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 18:48   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molesailer View Post

(...)

My question is what do you do with the dinghy once you reach the dock?

(...)
My answer is you tie the dinghy to the dock.

Stop worrying about money. Gentlemen do not talk about money. Gentlemen tie the dinghy to a dock that is NOT private, NOT a marina dock and NOT marked DOCKING FORBIDDEN. ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 05:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Molesailer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 05:33   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you don't use the boat with great regularity, you can simply take the dinghy home with you. Either deflate & roll it up, or if it's a nesting dink, break it in half, so that it's easier to transport.

Also, if there's a beach within reasonable proximity, then if there's an anchorage or mooring field nearby, there will be provisions for locking up one's dink on the beach. That, or carrying it up to your vehicle from there.

And plenty of people use things like inflatable kayaks as their #2 tender. With them being much easier to pack away for storage. So that you could leave your primary dink on the mothership, at anchor.
Even to the point of putting a small #2 tender into a backpack. Much as is done with folding, skin on frame, kayaks.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:41   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I also think it depends on where you are. Tourist destinations probably have it all figured out for your convenience and/or their profit. We are somewhat off the beaten path and right now a friends dinghy is living tied to the end of our slip. We're not going out any time soon (sigh) and why not do a sailor a favor? There will be many answers and I think most of them will depend on your location.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 12:41   #8

Boat: Islander 36

Since leaving Mexico, I have found myself wishing for a quality dinghy dock I could pay for.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 14:37   #9

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

make sure it self drains or pumps out/if o the beach leave it upside down
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy