Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 18:48   #1

Boat: DeVisser, 42
Places to Anchor on the Gulf Coast of Florida

Hello all. I am excited. I pick up my boat next week (37 foot, 4.5 foot draft) and am going cruising. I am asking for any information on good anchorages on the Gulf Coast of Florida from Tarpon Springs to and throughout the Keys. I have the Charts, and can see many possibilities. However, if there are any particular spots that are recommended; I am all ears. Thank you, see you out there [emoji41]
Tagmann101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 18:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Places to Anchor on the Gulf Coast of Florida

A Guide to Anchorages in Southwest Florida https://www.amazon.com/dp/0967158001..._4tufEbEC4K3XC
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 19:29   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Congratulations! Up the Manatee River, in the little cove sheltered by DeSoto Point; in Boca Ciega Bay off the town of Gulfport.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 19:49   #4

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Cayo Costa was nice.
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:31   #5

Here is a free guide that has some good information...
https://anchorages.flseagrant.org/
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:40   #6

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

my favourites from south to north
Fort Myers Beach mooring field, downtown Fort Myers mooring field, Cayo Costa State park, Charlotte Harbor off Punta Gorda, Lemon Bay just north of Charlotte Harbor, Venice Inlet (dockage only just inside the jetty), Sarasota mooring field, Manatee River north shoreline, Egmont Key, Gulfport municipal, St Petersburg municipal
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:25   #7

Boat: KP 46

At Boca Grand, just to the north you can go up the little cut, anchor and tie your stern to the mangroves just west of the golf course. It is chock full of people though. Just to the south you can in many places at Pelican Pass, and stop and have dinner at Cabbage Key.

San Carlos bay is chock full of shallow shifting water and people, so IMHO it is best to run outside to Little Shark River which is an easy days sail at 4.5 kts.

There could be some good anchorages around Cape Ramono ten K islands, but I have not been up there so can not say.

Another thought is; it is just a little over a days sail to the dry Tortugas from Boca Grand, Clean water, great snorkeling and fishing, and relatively deep water. Lots to see, and a short hop over to the Marquesas and Key west. Easterly winds can keep you there a few days at times.

Have a great trip.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:47   #8
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

A comment regarding Cayo Costa:
Have anchored twice on the north side of the inlet - drug both times, 55kg rocna. But maybe I do not do a good job of anchoring. Looked to be sand in about 10 feet of water. South of the inlet is good once you wiggle through but may be crowded.
TW
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:50   #9

The east side of egmont south of the pilot boat station is good in settled weather. Easy access in about 15ft of water. In bad/wind weather or if you need supplies I'd go up to desoto point where you can dinghy to shore and catch an uber. Pelican Bay (cayo costa state park) is also a great stop. They have ice and you can walk or take the tram to the west side of the island where there are showers (cold water).
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 13:38   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

At Cayo Costa we liked to anchor east of Useppa by Hart Island so we would not be disturbed by the ICW wakes. This gave us a short dinghy ride to Cabbage Key and to Cayo Costa through the "Tunnel of Love" mangrove channel.

I have noticed that some charts list Hart Island as Part Island. I don't know the original name.
Old 08-01-2020, 14:46   #11

I sail primarily from Tampa Bay southward to the Keys. So many anchorages all along the ICW! The SW coast of Florida is a virtual smorgasbord for sailors. A couple of general notes:

The bays and inlets of SW Florida contain constantly shifting shoals and sandbars especially at inlets and passes. Much of the marked channel between Tampa Bay and Ft. Meyers may have ten feet in channel and one or two feet right outside the markers. Pay close attention to charts. A good chart plotter/GPS/depth finder is a huge asset.

You should plan on going aground. Fortunately, the bottom is generally soft and sandy. Much depends on whether the tide is pushing you further aground and whether it's rising and falling. The passes between the barrier islands west of Sarasota bay all shift position and depth with every storm. Sometimes there are movable marks. Often you're on your own. Always best to proceed cautiously and on a rising tide.

From Tampa Bay South:

The Manatee River has a lovely anchorage just inside Desoto Point. Further up the river are two great full service marinas. Twin Dolfin, and Regatta Point. Both have nice restaurants, transient slips, great mariner facilities like swimming pools, laundry, and Twin Dolfin is a short walk to downtown Bradenton and the Bradenton planetarium and museum which is a destination all itself. The current in the river can be strong, even inside the marinas. Be aware of its effect as you enter the marina and approach your dock. Calling ahead for docking instructions is a good idea.

Outside of Tampa Bay the Egmont Key state park has no sheltered anchorage. Most sailors anchor near the SW corner where there is some interesting snorkeling around some concrete ruins. Anchor in the lee of the island in smooth water, but be aware that the land – breeze / sea – breeze cycle can cause the wind to reverse directions in the night and you might wake to find yourself in rolley conditions.

The South edge of Tampa Bay inside of Ana Maria Island is bordered by the aptly named shoal called the Bulwarks. The shoal is very shallow and you need to use your GPS/Chartplotter to find the entrance. If this is your first experience following channels of the ICW stay in the channel unless the chart shows you there is deep water outside the markers. As you enter that sheltered waters between the mainland and the barrier islands there are marinas and restaurants every mile or two.

At the Northern tip of Ana Maria the city pier juts straight out from the beach. There is dockage there, but only in the calmest conditions. More facilities line the shore of Anna Maria especially near the bridges at Cortez and Badenton Beach. You can anchor south of the Badenton Beach bridge a short dinghy ride to restaurants and bars everywhere you look. A short distance further South is the Longboat Ket bridge which is currently under repairs and openings are limited to once or twice a day at specific times. Best to radio the bridge tender on 19 (all bridges monitor channel 19) and ask him for the schedule. In the last few months the bridge has been stuck open or closed more than once.

Just South of the Longboat bridge is a favorite anchorage in front of two of the best restaurants around. The Shore has a large frontage of docks for dinner guests. A tad high for my boat. Beware of strong currents flowing around the point from Longboat pass. Tie up anticipating currents from either direction, and significant tidal range. Right next to the Shore is Mar Vista, another very popular place with several nice docks and a dinghy beach. Very convenient, casual, and superb food. One evening a strong wind from the East came up and I was not sure I could pull out of the slip without being pushed onto the beach. They let me spend the night at the dock.
The channel south of Longboat Pass is deep and wide with shallows alongside until you get well out into Sarasota Bay. Pay attention! There are too many marinas and restaurants around now to list more then the highlights. Midway on the East side of Sarasota Bay is the Ringling Mansion. It's worth a detour and you can sail right up to the “dock” in front of the mansion and take some great photos, especially in late afternoon or at sunset. Approach from the SW as there is a shoal just north of the dock.

At the Southwestern part of the bay near New Pass is the Sarasota Sailing Squadron on Sity Island, home to a very active sailing / racing program. Lots of day sailors, docks and and an anchorage are club facilities. Towards the gulf in the Pass are MarineMax marina and The Salty Dog, great casual restaurant with dockage and the New Pass Grill (burgers in paradise). Also nearby on City Island is Mote Marine, an amazing aquarium and research center, a seabird rescue center, The Ski-arees (free professional grade ski show every Sunday afternoon) Drop the hook, dinghy in and explore!

Sarasota proper has the landmark Marina Jack's, home to yachts and fine dining. Dinner dockage is next to the fuel pumps. Call for availability. The mooring balls in front of City Park (not to be confused with City Island), are administered by Marina Jack's. You can anchor further out for free. The Tiki Hut at O'Leary's is a touch of island casual, often with music, and nice for open air breakfasts with a view of the city. Sarasota's “attractions are too many to list, but you could spend as much time and money as you want exploring.

Backtracking just a bit. One the east side of the bay just north of the big Ringling bridge, you'll see a purple building, the Van Wetzel auditorium. Just north of the Van Wetzel are located some docks and the 10th street boat ramps. There's currently a lot of construction going on in the area, but if you can dock or dinghy in, there's a Publix right across the highway were you can replenish your stores and ice conveniently. It goes without saying Sarasota is flush with great dinning opportunities, many near the water. That list would take two pages alone.

Sarasota Bay is connected to the gulf by the smaller New Pass with its bascule bridge. Shifting sands and channels are the rule approaching from the Gulf. Most of the passes in this area are gaurded by sand bars on the North edge of the pass extending a mile or more West of the pass and tailing off to the South. The best approach is usually from the Southwest, following a gradual curve into the pass. Note strong currents can make bridge approaches exciting if the current sweeps you down on the bridge before it finishes opening!

Got to stop for now. More about areas South of Sarasota another time.

Smooth sailing, M. Trautman, SV Island Princess (Island Packet 27)
SRQsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:54   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
At Cayo Costa we liked to anchor east of Useppa by Hart Island so we would not be disturbed by the ICW wakes. This gave us a short dinghy ride to Cabbage Key and to Cayo Costa through the "Tunnel of Love" mangrove channel.

I have noticed that some charts list Hart Island as Part Island. I don't know the original name.
That was one of my favourite spots as well. Strategically placed to dinghy in for a "cheeseburger in paradise", and usually empty, unlike most of the Anchorages along that coast.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:51   #13

Boat: 42' Chung Wua Trawler

New Pass to Sarasota has recently been dredged. That is the best way into Sarasota Bay. But be careful. The government charts are not up to date and do not reflect the correct passage. Navionics is closer to correct. I would avoid the Sarasota Big pass. We went through there last year with a 5' draft and touch bottom in one spot.

Egmont Key is a great place to visit. I would NOT anchor on the SW corner as others have suggested. It is shallow there and if the winds pipe up it will be very uncomfortable as it is completely exposed to the gulf. The most popular place to anchor is on the North East side near the lighthouse or near the pilot house. I live in Sarasota and have visited many times so I know.
cpisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpisz View Post
Egmont Key is a great place to visit. I would NOT anchor on the SW corner as others have suggested. It is shallow there and if the winds pipe up it will be very uncomfortable as it is completely exposed to the gulf.
True. Anything on the west side of the island is a bad idea.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:40   #15

Boat: Catalina 36

Many of the area's Yacht Clubs have posted detailed information on how to access various anchorages on the west coast of Florida, the Punta Gorda Sailing Club posts all sorts of information on their Cruising Page at https://www.pgscweb.com/Cruising.htm You did not say what your final destination is or whether you will have a dink with you (recommended) as you'll need one to access various facilities.
Congratulations !
Bill in Boca Grande, FL
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, florida, gulf coast