Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2015, 00:32   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I honestly cannot see what is to be gained by rehashing aggressive/passive tactics when attacked..... So far...no one has been killed and that is a positive which I pray will end with the safe release of those taken.

What does interest me is what our community thinks of the future of Samal marina?

Would you make that a destination?
Would you keep your boat there?
It will happen again. Working a strategy for survival is a gain. Forget weaponry because its not in the picture. It need liason with authorities to know what steps can be taken and what boaters can expect in terms of support.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 00:36   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Weavis, tx for the clip. The Brits have a long history of excellent military leadership. Of course we, Yanks, had to help u out a couple of times...but that's what brothers are for...smile....
Yeah, you have better rations than we do so we let you in......

Old 29-09-2015, 01:05   #123
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
It will happen again. Working a strategy for survival is a gain. Forget weaponry because its not in the picture. It need liason with authorities to know what steps can be taken and what boaters can expect in terms of support.

Weavis ...I agree that in the Samal incident which was a well organized and well armed attack with superior odds for probably political reasons, ....small individual weaponry would be more than useless.

What was missing in Samal was a resident marine security force using the same facility and operating 24/7.

SBYC and MYC have that as well as naval assets on standby.

However, in a community of diverse economics, the perception that potential targets have personal weaponry is a known deterrent against B & E.

As you well know in risk assessment, you have to consider different types of threats..... including internal.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 01:08   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Weavis ...I agree that in the Samal incident which was a well organized and well armed attack with superior odds for probably political reasons, ....small individual weaponry would be more than useless.

What was missing in Samal was a resident marine security force using the same facility and operating 24/7.

SBYC and MYC have that as well as naval assets on standby.

However, in a community of diverse economics, the perception that potential targets have personal weaponry is a known deterrent against B & E.

As you well know in risk assessment, you have to consider different types of threats..... including internal.
I hate it when a beautiful country and people are ripped apart and destroyed for political gain and control. Its happening everywhere.
bummer.

Edit: When I said forget weaponry, it was in reference to the boaters, not a security force.
Old 29-09-2015, 03:44   #125
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

A possibly interesting development:

“Canadian mining consultant John Ridsdel could have been the primary target of the kidnappers...”

Canadian mining consultant could be Samal kidnappers' target | Sun.Star

Samal Island kidnapping: Mining consultant could be primary target - CNN Philippines

Mining consultant could be target of kidnappers - Davao Breaking News

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:41   #126

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Yeah, you have better rations than we do so we let you in......

Clearly it wasn't the bacon . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:44   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Locally we have been discussing for some time that it was a refusal by Canadians to pay bribes for mining concern "security" that led to frustration that business as usual was breaking down. I.E. Not making payouts to the upper tier led to back lash from a private army capable of making an attack.

Regarding future of Samal Marina.

Do you recall the movie The Time Machine how the underground people ran out and took a group of people eating around the lake. Everything was soon calm again.

In a similar way talk here is Aussies and Ozzies in particular will still see Samal as being on quickest route North and South. Americans, the few that are not up in Subic will still consider it a no go zone.

New added security may make the place appear safer than before. This may indeed be true. I dont exactly expect an answer to my questions to the coast guard, however, I do think they may slowly start thinking that being coast guard is more than just asking about port clearances and checking for smuggling.

Therefore, I expect Samal Marina to continue to be fine. These events do not happen, so far at least, to boats while on passage.

Personally I plan on no additional measures, however, I already was acting far more conservative than many.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 17:38   #128

Boat: Spray Replica

Conspiracy theories about John Risdal are exactly that. A Conspiracy Theories with no basis in fact. The only reason John was taken is because he responded to a call for help. Absolutely nothing to do with his previous employment. Had he not responded so quickly I would have been the next on scene and possibly in his space. You would now have been speculating whether my past employment in the military or motor racing was motivation for the attack.

It was all just a matter of timing. Nothing to do with his previous life.

Second guessing the Coast Guard is also of absolutely no value and counter productive. I tried to raise a Mayday call on Ch 16. I had no response. I found out later the reason was that as the marina is located behind a cliff that is over 100 mtrs tall and the Coast Guard Station is on the other side of the Island in Davao they could never hear us. This situation is now being remedied with a repeater station. Prior to this incident it was not seen as a issue. Boats in marinas do not normally require Coast Guard assistance.

The help and assistance that we have received whilst traveling through the Philippines from both the Navy and Coast Guard has been exemplary. They responded appropriately when they were eventually notified.

The Police are also working hard on this case, they have been courteous, respectful and diligent. They are crossing the T's and doting the i's in their investigations. The military also responded and the Marina is now protected by trained Army personnel, appropriately armed and willing to step into the fire. My wife was involved in an incident that happened a few days ago where a motorbike tyre exploded. Their response was rapid, safe and appropriate.

The one thing that the attackers had on their side was surprise. It took several minute after the attackers had left to actual realise that we were involved in a hostage attack. It was dark, we were woken from sleep and the speed that the attackers were able to carry out the attack meant that most of us had little idea as to what had taken place and that fellow cruisers had been taken. For all intent it initially sounded like a domestic dispute. How many of us race to become involved in domestic disputes in marinas?

Alansmith talks about the world going to hell in a hand basket. I couldn't agree more. Again I can't go into details but what we witnessed and what I have been shown by the authorities since affirms this. The people we were dealing with do not think like us. They are well organised. Well equipped. Well funded and brutal in their execution. Any retaliation would be met with spades. They have nothing to lose.

The chances of another attack here is very remote. The security upgrades are all well thought out and now a week down the track all of them are almost complete. I don't want to detail them all, however rest assured the marina is now one of the safest in SE Asia.

So far as proximity to troubled areas, Oceanview is more than twice as far from Jolo Island as is Bonbonon, another very popular cruising destination currently full of international cruising boats.

Oceanview has the protection and support of one of the most effective Mayors in the Philippines and an owner that is passionate about his facility. We will be staying put for now.

I am confident that the authorities are doing everything possible to rescue our fellow cruisers. We have spent hours with both police investigators and prosecutors going through CCTV, identikits and photos. They are focused on the safe return of John, Rob, Tjarten and Tess and bringing those responsible to justice.

Let's hope that this is sooner than later.

Garry
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 18:12   #129
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Garry,
Thanks for the detailed updated info above.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 18:20   #130
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Well said Gary and good to know that proactive measures are being put in place.

I find it so ironic that this Samal incident strikes more fear in some than the mindless attacks on US schools/colleges where today there was another attempted murder on 35 students with 10 dead.

At least in the Philippines our enemies have twisted but understandable financial/political reasons.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 18:21   #131

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I am assuming then, that, no demands have been issued by the hostage takers? Is there any news yet who is claiming responsibility?

Talk about insanity...again...again ....again. In Southwest Oregon a gunman opened up on students and faculty at a small junior college killing over a dozen and wounding over a score.

Every one who has a beef these days are unloading clips on those who had nothing or little to do with their beef.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:00   #132

Many disturbed young men are meeting in dark anonymous corners of the internet. How can we re-engage them in society?
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:30   #133

I know it sounds stupid. Just think about it. It 100% legal to have.. it's gasoline one 64oz cup thrown on a group people and they can't shoot if the do it will set them on fire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-10-2015, 11:47   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
I am assuming then, that, no demands have been issued by the hostage takers? Is there any news yet who is claiming responsibility?

Talk about insanity...again...again ....again. In Southwest Oregon a gunman opened up on students and faculty at a small junior college killing over a dozen and wounding over a score.

Every one who has a beef these days are unloading clips on those who had nothing or little to do with their beef.
That just sucks... I'll never understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfish View Post
Many disturbed young men are meeting in dark anonymous corners of the internet. How can we re-engage them in society?
The dark anonymous CF corner???

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
I know it sounds stupid. Just think about it. It 100% legal to have.. it's gasoline one 64oz cup thrown on a group people and they can't shoot if the do it will set them on fire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Bri... I think you need to turn off the Hollywood movies and open up a physics book...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 00:47   #135
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Newspaper report from Oct 6 2015
Philippine authorities have arrested a suspect in the abduction of four people, two of them Canadian, from a yacht marina in the country’s south, amid fears about the region becoming an Asian nexus for attacks by extremists linked to the Islamic State.
The suspect, a man named Pandajar Adona, was identified through security camera footage at the Holiday Oceanview
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote