Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 12:16   #61

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.
Re: Personality types of sailors

Oh, c'mon.... Given the options of "Like to describe things in a specific, literal way" vs "Like to describe things in a figurative, poetic way" ignores an equally valid option of liking to describe things in a way the particular listener would understand.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:23   #62

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Personality types of sailors

And so we have learned, not surprisingly, that sailors come to this wonderful way of life with a wide variety of personalities. Isn’t the spectrum of our differences wonderful?

If we all saw the world through the same eyes or understood each other in exactly the same way there would be no point to art, no reason to try to share our point of view.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:58   #63

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
And so we have learned, not surprisingly, that sailors come to this wonderful way of life with a wide variety of personalities. Isn’t the spectrum of our differences wonderful?

If we all saw the world through the same eyes or understood each other in exactly the same way there would be no point to art, no reason to try to share our point of view.
So true.

Like I said, I think the whole MB thing as something just for fun. It not that it is without meaning, but it’s pretty hard to compartmentalize the range of human personality traits into 16 main categories. Still, it’s fun to play with.

The sample size so far is WAY too low to even pretend to make any comments, but it is interesting to see the weighting towards the I side.

(Updated graph)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MB types_nov9_1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	180394  
Old 09-11-2018, 13:09   #64

Boat: Morgan 37 Out Island Sloop

I personally do not believe that to tag a person is a good thing. If you want to know what your personality is, please go to a psychiatrist. This is no place to judge anyone on anything. This forum should not be binding in this respect, and, to a certain extent prohibit this kind of practice as determining the personality of a fellow cruiser. Thank you.
John L. Cwierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 13:48   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post

I personally can't imagine learning anything from myself. It is precisely the variation that offers such novel ways to achieve a given goal.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 13:57   #66
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

I'm an artist ENFJ (diplomat, or, the darker side of that-doormat when I let others needs constantly usurp my own).

I'm happily married to an ISTJ (sentinel logistician computer science guy)

Older daughter is an INTJ (architect-analyst, majoring in computer science)

Younger daughter is an ESTP (explorer-entrepreneur, majoring in hospitality).

It has made for a lively household over the years, the extroverts getting into fights while the introverts look for some peace and quiet.

https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 14:12   #67

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Personally I’m more interested in the personality types of our boats. Mine is, I think, an ISTJ. She is an “I” introvert preferring isolated anchorages but she is okay being in a crowd for a short while if others don’t try to get too close. She is more of an “S” sensing preferring to react to information she receives from the world around her moving with wind and wave. She is a “T” thinking like a physicist reacting to physical forces acting on her, no emotions from her. And she is a “J” judging to stay on the course we decided upon unless we talk it through and come to a common understanding of a new course, no improvising from her. Yes, even though we are different types her ISTJ works fine with my INFP.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 14:48   #68

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50

I don’t know about personality types, but it seems to me that far and away, the most highly represented occupation is engineer...
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 16:34   #69

Fun thread, I had great fun reading through it all. I am an INTP and usually I find myself being a small minority, usually the only one or one out of two in groups of 20 to 50, while 50% are ESTJs or ISTJs. In this forum, it seems to be turned around! I am not that surprised, because I naturally connected my affection for sailing to my personal preferences, in particular the N and T. However, I see from this post, and from a poll in another similar thread, that there are as many Js as Ps among the respondents. Out of currently 88 respondents, there is clear tendency of more Ns, 67 vs 21S, while there is more close race between Js and Ps, 46 vs 42, respectively. I assume it is worse for you Js to stay in harbor waiting for good winds? Or maybe it is you that don’t, but just og whatever wheather? Would be good for the study if we all put our letters on a flag
My wife is an ESFJ (my assessment) although she has never performed the test, and has no interest in doing so, as she say: “Puh! may be of interest and useful only for you introverts!" Maybe she has a point, but I think that it rather reflects the F/T axis than the E/I axis? Maybe Meyer-Briggs is a more useful tool for us that doesn’t expose any F, while Fs deal well with these differences intuitively?
Personally, I find Meyer'Briggs most useful, and I am using it quite a lot at work. As an INTP, often leading teams with a majority of I/ESTP, it is frustrating for the team that I am near to vomit when we have to deal with flow diagrams and certification processes, and in particular the last moment decision which can be very frustrating to Js. However, it helps both them and myself when we are all aware of my lack of preferences in these directions, and can rather joke and have fun about it. And also for the Es to understand that when I am not speaking, it is because I am thinking, and if they just manage to keep quiet for a short while I may say something useful, it helps.
I have learned to appreciate the differences and I try to find roles and tasks for each member of the team where they as much as possible can use and expose their natural preferences.
I agree with those of you that points out that Meyer-Briggs is situational dependent, and I also find my preferences being to some extent situational dependent. E.g, after starting sailing with my wife, my introversion doesn’t help me finding life onboard alone meaningful anymore
Anguillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:11   #70

Keltic.

Not much interested in boxes. But thanks for the offer.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:30   #71

ESTP
Pretty accurate I must say
nomad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:59   #72
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’m the one that mentioned that the MB has been generally discredited. That’s b/c the research shows it isn’t very reliable. There’s a mountain of research on this topic. I’m sure you’re aware of this … I hope.
Yes I also thought this was very widely known by now.

AFAIC this is like sailors arguing about orgone accumulators, Hubbard's theta vs engrams, or whether the abducting aliens' skin is grey or duff.

But hey those who know it's BS but still enjoy playing it like a game of D&D, by all means carry on!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:31   #73

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes I also thought this was very widely known by now.

AFAIC this is like sailors arguing about orgone accumulators, Hubbard's theta vs engrams, or whether the abducting aliens' skin is grey or duff.

But hey those who know it's BS but still enjoy playing it like a game of D&D, by all means carry on!
I equate the MB to taking a quiz to check your Zaz-Factor in the latest his/her magazine. It’s close to meaningless, but still kinda fun .

Updated chart (including Tayana42’s boat ):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MB types_nov10.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	180419  
Old 10-11-2018, 12:57   #74

One of my minions wrote:
"...why dont some people understand...the rules are the RULES! !...A place for everything and everything in its place..."

Thank you for your support. You are an adequate flunky place-holder. If you continue the commonsense compromise good work, I may consider your place-holding for promotion to toady place-holder.

But remember, with your promotion comes the responsibility to support your betters. Oh, dear... you look confused again.

So to clear your confusion:
As anybody with half a brain knows, I create The Rule, so any minor Rule I create must be obeyed since obeying benefits society and the greater good. Stands to reason.

The System is quite simple. If the little people want to discuss changing The Rule, they need to consider the consequences. The terminal consequences. [shakes head] Do the little people think I go to all the trouble of sharpening my #2 and scribbling The Rule simply for my benefit? Of course == cough == not.

And besides, why would I give the little people permission to think. That'd by counter-productive... as any fool can see.

I'm glad we had this chat. I hope you understand my position. Stop by any time you need to discuss your place. Remember to vote; your promotion to next-level place-holder depends on a positive outcome.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 14:01   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
Keltic.

Not much interested in boxes. But thanks for the offer.
Wait, what? Large Marge? Not "The Large Marge"? Understandable about not being in boxes when you're a ghost. For the rest that don't know:
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail