Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2019, 18:18   #1

Passing on ownership when you die

Estate planning

I've been having discussions with the US Center about how to pass on the ownership of a documented vessel upon the owners death.

Many States have a provision on car titles for this. For instance you could name one of your children as a successor, avoiding probate, but they aren't named on the title as the owner until you die.

Apparently you can document the boat with the name of a trust that you set up. That is another level of complexity, but the trust can manage other assets at the same time...at a cost.

What do you do?
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 18:36   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Passing on ownership when you die

I never ask for legal advice on the internet.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 18:42   #3

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

I've gotten some of the best advice off of the internet; legal or not. It bother's me every time I see this.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 23:47   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Don't know about US registration but the primary document for the transfer of an Australian registered vessel is the Bill of Sale. This suggests that if the US system is the same the simplest way to accomplish the transfer may be to have an un-dated but signed Bill of Sale lodged with your will in a safe place. Need to be careful of rax implications though.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 00:13   #5

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Need to be careful of rax implications though.
That's why you put a very very veerrryyyy 'fair' value on that bill of sale
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 01:01   #6

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Joint tenancy/right of survivorship
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:10   #7

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Sell before you croak.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:12   #8

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Need to be careful of rax implications though.
In Canada we have PST, GST, HST.
But I have never heard of the RAX tax.
How does it work?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
Joint tenancy/right of survivorship
Does that work when registering the boat with the Fed's Documentation service? For real estate, they have these deeds pre-printed for Joint Tenancy or Tenancy in Common etc but I'm not finding anything relating to boats. USCG tells me to contact an attorney but those with dry feet don't know marine law. I was hoping to find examples or talk to other owners who figured this out.

I had most of my Dad's side of the family pass in one year. I'd like to eliminate the estate drama by the smart application of beneficiary designations and titling options that allow the passing of ownership upon death.

The estate tax threshold is very high right now, so taxes aren't really a consideration. What is even more expensive is if your family needs to hire an attorney and open an estate to distribute your assets. That will cost more than any government tax. If I am successful by being thorough with the designations of beneficiaries and titling, no estate will be necessary. A death certificate and a transfer form should do it in most cases.

Getting the documentation on the boat correct will be important since there is a good chance that the boat will be in a foreign port at the time of my death. Taking ownership or even selling the boat will be easier if the title succession is recognized by the US documentation service.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:31   #10

Imagine that you still own the boat and enter the twilight zone of dementia or an old folks home for ten years. When you do drop off, the boat would probably be worth nothing due to lack of maintenance. If you have some one intended for the boat I would consider giving or gifting it ASAP. That way you may actually enjoy it in your fading years.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:55   #11

Boat: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

I hear people talk about "avoiding probate" but I wonder how many of those folks really understand the probate process. As a probate attorney I can tell you there are some advantages of going trough probate. One of which is shutting off creditors' claims. In addition I have seen people spend more money to avoid probate than it would have cost to go through probate. A simple probate (without bickering among the heirs) is about $1500 to $2000. This rate is based on the hourly work necessary. However some states allow attorneys to charge a percentage of the estate this is typically 3 to 8%. So there are some facts to help you make your decision.
Capt Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 09:09   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
In Canada we have PST, GST, HST.
But I have never heard of the RAX tax.
How does it work?
Simple really.

Most tax departments are very medieval in outlook when it comes to extracting your hard earned wealth from you, hence the reference to the rack.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 09:13   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We have a trust and the boat is in the trust with State registration. Think every one should have a trust and everything in the trust from experience both with and without a trust.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 09:36   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

A documented vessel can be held by a trust or LLC. The terms of the LLC can easily establish multiple owners named in the LLC along with terms of succession. This is what I learned cruising the CG documentation site and rules along with dealing with our family cottage after Mom’s passing. I am not an expert at all.

The folks at the USCG documentation center are quite helpful. Talk to them. Then talk to a licensed, professional someone who can help you legally set this up.

The question does come to mind, does anyone seriously want to inherit your boat?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 10:58   #15

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
(snip)

The question does come to mind, does anyone seriously want to inherit your boat?
That is an excellent and very important question. When I drew up my first will, I asked the proposed beneficiary if they would want it, and made sure they understood the costs involved and the negative affects of deferred maintenance.

Of course, if your beneficiary changes their mind and just can't deal with the boat, they can always donate it to any one of a number of worthy groups, and skip the bother of trying to sell it.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ownership