Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 16:01   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 41s5
Out board hp

Looking to buy 2.6m inflatable tender, not sure what hp for the outboard.
What sort of running time do you get with built in fuel tank on say 5hp and is this enough hp to push through choppy conditions
Harro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 17:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Out board hp

Of course, what kind of inflatable (from RIB to flat fabric bottom, what kind of transom?) makes a diference, but 5 hp is going to do just about all you can do with an inflatable that small.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 17:39   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Harro, thinking a little bit about your situation (I apologize for making an off the top of my head response), it occurs to me that our similar sized non-planing hard bottom dinghy (Walker Bay with inflated collar) has a five hp four stroke engine, and certainly runs for an hour or more without a refill, but just as a matter of prudence we always toss in a small fuel tank. The 5 hp is more than enough to reach hull speed and make her plow. Unless the boat you are looking at isn't rated for that much power, you should be fine. I doubt you are talking about planing, so more power isn't going to be much help.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 00:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Harro, thinking a little bit about your situation (I apologize for making an off the top of my head response), it occurs to me that our similar sized non-planing hard bottom dinghy (Walker Bay with inflated collar) has a five hp four stroke engine, and certainly runs for an hour or more without a refill, but just as a matter of prudence we always toss in a small fuel tank. The 5 hp is more than enough to reach hull speed and make her plow. Unless the boat you are looking at isn't rated for that much power, you should be fine. I doubt you are talking about planing, so more power isn't going to be much help.
Thank you for your input, much appreciated
Old 11-02-2017, 05:04   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro View Post
Looking to buy 2.6m inflatable tender, not sure what hp for the outboard.
Don't know what it's like there, but here most small boats and dinks and so forth come with manufacturer's recommendation for minimum and maximum horsepower... often on an embossed plate tacked to the transom. Even our (square-stern) canoe came with one of those...

-Chris
Old 11-02-2017, 05:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Out board hp

As posted above.. max HP is/should be stamped on the transom somewhere.. I'd not go over a 5hp personally which usually gets me on a plane solo with my favourite form of dink.. slat floored inflatable.. a 3.5 should also be adequate.
Favourite engine 5HP Tohatsu 2 stroke.
The built in tank is more than enough for normal daily use though usually carry a 5L can as well for those impulsive longer run arounds.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 15:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As posted above.. max HP is/should be stamped on the transom somewhere.. I'd not go over a 5hp personally which usually gets me on a plane solo with my favourite form of dink.. slat floored inflatable.. a 3.5 should also be adequate.
Favourite engine 5HP Tohatsu 2 stroke.
The built in tank is more than enough for normal daily use though usually carry a 5L can as well for those impulsive longer run arounds.
Thanks that's what I was thinking. Manufacturers only give max hp for their inflatable, which in this case is 10hp