Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-08-2017, 05:12   #16

Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Re: Optimum $200,000 cruiser, with conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Why is "floating condo" always said with such distain? There is nothing wrong with being comfortable, and it doesn't have to be at the expense of seaworthiness if properly done.
I entirely agree Zippy, and I’ve rebuilt my little condo for maximum comfort at sea and anchor or marina. The disdainers are usually people who can’t afford, or too lazy to maintain things which make life more tolerable on a small boat.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:28   #17

Boat: Bristol 45.5

A terrific choice just within your budget is the Northeast 400. Cabo Rico quality and all the bells and whistles. There is considerable customization of the second cabin (opposite the galley). Sometimes it is a second sleeping cabin, sometimes a den/office. Here is one example.

2000 Cabo Rico Northeast 400 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Still looking for our next boat. Have decided we want to have something that will keep us happy for the next 10 years or so. By then I will be pushing 80 and if i am still sailing that will be a very good thing.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:31   #18

Boat: Bristol 45.5

A terrific choice just within your budget is the Northeast 400. Cabo Rico quality and all the bells and whistles. There is considerable customization of the second cabin (opposite the galley). A really nice feature is that from the swim platform to the pilothouse it is all on the same level and only three steps (not ladder) down to the forward section of the boat. Sometimes it is a second sleeping cabin, sometimes a den/office. Here is one example.

2000 Cabo Rico Northeast 400 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Still looking for our next boat. Have decided we want to have something that will keep us happy for the next 10 years or so. By then I will be pushing 80 and if i am still sailing that will be a very good thing.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 14:52   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Why is "floating condo" always said with such distain? There is nothing wrong with being comfortable, and it doesn't have to be at the expense of seaworthiness if properly done.
Could you provide some examples of seaworthy "floating condos" please? I've not noticed such in person.

Jim
Old 12-08-2017, 15:18   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For the Caribe, or for any general cruising not crossing oceans, I would want something that is not a cave like most monos. So a cat would be good, or a mono with raised salon.
It's a much different world sitting and watching your surroundings. Not that you cant get out in the cockpit in a mono... but it is different, and all that up and down the ladder is tiring. On a cat or saloon, just step out and in.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 15:20   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Could you provide some examples of seaworthy "floating condos" please? I've not noticed such in person.

Jim
Most any cat would be, the "seaworthy" part is a personal consideration though...

Old 12-08-2017, 15:48   #22

Quote:

Jim
That's the rub Jim, it's all relative. I spent a month on a 47ft cat in the Eastern Caribbean and it was very seaworthy and very condo like. So that's one example. Beneteau 473's can be very well appointed and very seaworthy boats, even condo like in my opinion.

You don't have to live uncomfortably to avoid sinking..
Old 12-08-2017, 20:20   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
That's the rub Jim, it's all relative. I spent a month on a 47ft cat in the Eastern Caribbean and it was very seaworthy and very condo like. So that's one example. Beneteau 473's can be very well appointed and very seaworthy boats, even condo like in my opinion.

You don't have to live uncomfortably to avoid sinking..
I thought that the OP was considering monohulls, not cats, in his search.

But tell me, in your month on the 47 ft cat in the E Caribe, how did you determine its seaworthyness? (I won't argue its condo status, not knowing what sort of cat it was). Did you experience some really harsh weather and bad seas? Were you able to make long passages with adequate fuel and water supplies? Could you get her to heave to when you needed to stop for a while? Things of that nature enter into the "seaworthy" discussion, not simply being able to do inter island day trips without spilling the gin.

The Benie 473, while having a bit too much freeboard and the universal worries of structural liner/Plexus construction, seems a tolerable sea boat, if properly maintained. But it doesn't quite reach the floating condo realm IMO. The Moody designs of late, the ones that seem to attempt emulating catamarans, are the sort that in my eyes fail the seaworthy test and achieve "condodom". The combination of an open transom and no bridge deck is simply not a good idea at sea.

Ann and I have done quite a lot of sea miles in conventional monohulls, neither traditional nor ultra modern. We were not uncomfortable (outside of horrible sea conditions), and we didn't sink. With limited experience, I find the motion of catamarans twitchy and uncomfortable in some sea conditions. In other conditions, and at anchor in calm waters, they are indeed comfortable and the saloons are spacious and offer great visibility. I don't find the below decks accommodations (which do require using stairs or ladders) salubrious in many of the cats of reasonable size that we've been on. Such things are a matter of individual tastes and preferences , and are hardly worth arguing over.

So, I reckon that I will continue to have some degree of disdain for the floating condos of my own definition, irrespective of hull numbers. This isn't a multi-bashing issue, for I believe that some cats are quite seaworthy and admirable. I, along with folks who fork out the big bucks for Chris White cats, or Outremers or other non-condo cats see considerable difference between them and the flying bridge behemoths that litter the seas. Are we justified in these opinions? Well, I think so, others may not, and that's ok with me.

I'm not sure that I've properly responded here, and mean to step on no toes. My ideas of a good seagoing vessel may not agree with all, but have been developed over many years of cruising. I could be suffering from the "it worked for me so it must be right" syndrome... on teh other hand, I could be right!

Jim
Old 13-08-2017, 10:30   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I thought that the OP was considering monohulls, not cats, in his search.

Jim
"3. Minimum 40 ft cat or mono with swim platform for water and dingy access."

Tags
cruise, cruiser

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: