Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 10:31   #1

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
Optimum $200,000 cruiser, with conditions

There are many discussions on “blue water” cruisers and sub $30,000 cruisers, so it would be interesting to have Forum input on the preferred cruising boats available on a $200,000 budget with the following guidelines:
1. 6 month Caribbean cruising with no ocean crossings. Few overnight sails and mostly living on anchor.
2. Experienced retired couple that likes their comforts, with occasional visitors.
3. Minimum 40 ft cat or mono with swim platform for water and dingy access.
4. Air-con, generator, solar required for this lifestyle.
5. You can afford the maintenance so bigger is better.
I would think that there are quite a few couples facing this decision so I would expect many diverging opinions. Some of my personal biases are:
1. It seems that a 40+’ cat at this price would be well used and poorly equipped compared to say a 47 ‘ mono, so I think a mono might provide a more practical option.
2. Saildrive is not worth the hassles, with so many shaft driven boats available.
3. A V-berth is no place for a couple over 30.
4. No teak decks.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:05   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Optimum $200,000 cruiser, with conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
There are many discussions on “blue water” cruisers and sub $30,000 cruisers, so it would be interesting to have Forum input on the preferred cruising boats available on a $200,000 budget with the following guidelines:
1. 6 month Caribbean cruising with no ocean crossings. Few overnight sails and mostly living on anchor.
2. Experienced retired couple that likes their comforts, with occasional visitors.
I would think that there are quite a few couples facing this decision so I would expect many diverging opinions. Some of my personal biases are:
1. It seems that a 40+’ cat at this price would be well used and poorly equipped compared to say a 47 ‘ mono, so I think a mono might provide a more practical option.
2. Saildrive is not worth the hassles, with so many shaft driven boats available.
4. No teak decks.
The Admiral and I totally love our Stevens 47 mono, and she has all the amenities that we enjoy....in boom furling, 5kw generator, 690 watts of solar, stern seats, center cockpit, watermaker, a/c, swim platform....and she is a true blue water performer. John Kretschmer has an excellent write up on their attributes as well. Admittedly, sometimes, when at anchor....a cat does come up in the conversation......in a positive manner. But overall, this was the right sailboat for us. In two years, if we don't sell her before that, we will place her on the for sale block in earnest, go to the gray side and purchase a trawler so that we can do the Great Loop.
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:56   #3

With the limiting draft of Caribbean and no ocean crossing, generator and air conditioning, why not trawlers?
Or if you are considering sailing, how about motor sailors?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If I had had the budget the Stevens 47 would have been very high on my list. Well, built, nice lines, good sailor. If you plan on occasional guests the aft owner's cabin gives more privacy and some space for everyone.

In the Caribbean draft isn't a problem but, depending on how deep, can be a slight limiting factor in the Bahamas.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:28   #5

If not for blue water crossings, and didn't log more than say 2-3000 nautical miles per year, wanted more for internal space and comfort within 200k budget I would go for a trawler, you can find one easily with better accommodation than any cat at this price range, and with the current depressed fuel price it cost less to spend on oil than maintaining the sails and riggings, unless you do travel say more than 2000 miles per year then the cost evens out.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
4. No teak decks.
Caribbean? Mostly at anchor? Generator? Guests coming to visit? Air conditioning? Floating condo...

Which is exactly want I want to do with my wife and if I had a $200k or so budget and can afford the maintenance, I would look at a cat with shallow draft.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:31   #7

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

For that kind of money, get some safety. Buy a Steel or Aluminum hull. Floating crap that will put a hole in your fiberglass hull will get shrugged off of a steel or aluminum hull.

You can also get push button sail raising and lowering.

Technology can be a real friend.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:46   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
For that kind of money, get some safety. Buy a Steel or Aluminum hull. Floating crap that will put a hole in your fiberglass hull will get shrugged off of a steel or aluminum hull.
Actually, depends on the steel (or aluminum) boat. All steel boats are not created equal. They come in heavy duty and light weight versions. All depends on the framing and thickness of the plate you use to build the hull. Then there are some glass boats that are pretty heavy duty, like a Westsail 32.

Quote:

Which is all great when it works but if it breaks it can be a real pain in the posterior. In some things KISS can be a better plan. Just have to weigh the pros and cons of anything going on a boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:58   #9

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

I will happily sell you my Nonsuch 30 for $200 k.
It has almost all of your desires
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:19   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

"with no ocean crossings"

How's it going to get to the Caribbean? Maybe you're not doing any after it's where you're going to keep it? Or buy it already there. Then again just about any boat built can make it to the Caribbean.

For $200K in a cat you're primarily going to be in the ex-charter brands and age. In monohulls, the sky is the limit. There are tons of fully found boats and boats you could equip in that price range. Just watch the engine and especially the genset hours and don't over pay for gear that is really "cruised out".
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:23   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

See this post. One of my favorite designs, and with your budget, may be attainable, if your budget number means "Asking Price."

I recently saw a boat while in Newfoundland that spurred my writing this post below. I see the OP is in Halifax Nova Scotia. This is the kind of boat I would pick for traveling from Canada to Caribbean (or around the world).

If you don't want to move the boat yourself to and from Canada, then hire a delivery captain and crew.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2454248
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:51   #12

Quote:

Sort of amazes me how these thread go off topic quickly. How about a ferro-cement boat?
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 13:04   #13

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

It would help if the OP indicated if they are after a sailboat or a motor boat.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 15:46   #14

Boat: KP 46

Interesting, I am just next week going to list my KP 46. Pretty much what you are asking for plus a bit more..nee engine, new gen set air conditioning, two cabins two complete heads, even has a bow thruster. Pm me if you are interested
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 16:03   #15

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

I have always been a sailor so I am still looking at sailboats and fibreglass is fine with me. I am tending to agree with YachtBroker that at $200k a mono hull will provide better value. If I was spending another $100k, I would be looking at cats.

The Stevens 47 is a nice looking boat but am leaning towards a larger deeper aft cockpit style to maximize the floating condo experience. Why is "floating condo" always said with such distain? There is nothing wrong with being comfortable, and it doesn't have to be at the expense of seaworthiness if properly done.

The "no ocean crossings" comment was intended to explain the expected normal use of the boat. I wouldn't buy any boat that couldn't safely sail from NS to the Caribbean.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser