Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 15:21   #1

On-the-Hook Cruisers . . . What Kind of Dinghy Do You Use ?

....to get to shore?

If I didn't have a dog to get ashore, and I had a secure place to leave it, I would get a kayak. Or maybe I could train my dog to sit in a double kayak, that would sure be a laugh!

Hard? Inflatable? Motor? Paddles?

I have read a lot about motors being stolen, and that is a concern, but are most of you really rowing in and out with your food, mates, water, pets....each day?
bajabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 15:26   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: On the hook cruisers, what kind of dingy do you use..

10'06" AB RIB 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Saw a dog that jumped in and swam ashore when he wanted. Would swim back but had to be helped aboard.
Old 06-12-2011, 15:40   #3

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We have a 10' RIB with a 9 hp. Although we've never had anything stolen, it is prudent to secure the dink before retiring.
Old 06-12-2011, 15:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: On the hook cruisers, what kind of dingy do you use..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabound View Post
....to get to shore?
Roll-up inflatable with slat floor

If I didn't have a dog to get ashore, and I had a secure place to leave it, I would get a kayak. Or maybe I could train my dog to sit in a double kayak, that would sure be a laugh!
Used to carry a sit-on kayak as well as the dinghy when I had a bigger boat... great fun but a pain storing on deck
Hard? Soft? Motor? Paddles?
Hard Kayak, soft Dinghy...

I have read a lot about motors being stolen, and that is a concern, but are most of you really rowing in and out with your food, mates, water, pets....each day?
Motors and dinghy's do get stolen... everywhere.. fact of life... like car thieves...
So... one takes precautions against the opportunists.
Most are not... they're roaring round in their ribs... hell thats fun as well...
but on the current boat I usually row... to much hassle faffing with the engine... the exercise is good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4658.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	34483  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 00:30   #5

Boat: Pearson 281

Walker Bay 8 with hypalon tubes... love the DIY tubes someone here did on theirs much more sensible even if my WB was dirt cheap used.
Since I have the deck space for assembly and breakdown I'd love to get a folding, two-seater kayak like a Klepper or Folbot, plenty of room for supplies and or dog... unfortunately deckspace beyond the usual cabin trunk/side-deck kind is the key to making those work.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:50   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

For cruising, the largest RIB you can safely carry with the largest engine it will support. If you can't fit/handle a 12' RIB with a 25hp engine, start downsizing from there until you reach what you can safely fit and handle.

In other words, the dinghy is going to be your everyday pickup truck - don't skimp on its qualifications, but don't be foolish in its size.

Way too many cruisers start with romantic ideas of rowing a pretty pram or getting a small, cheap pool toy to save money, only to find that the real world needs require real world grunt. They discover this after they get soaking wet plowing through chop and waves across a 5-mile harbor to pick up supplies - and have to do this several times because they can't hold all they need - or get frustrated trying to snorkel and fish out of it, or miss out on activities and things to see because the trip is out of range, etc.

I don't mean to pick an argument with those who like to row about in prams or kayaks or pool toys as a primary mode of transportation and work boat, but you are in the minority of preferences. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your choices, but again, they are not what most would choose if they had the choice. And there are cruising grounds where these types of boats work just fine for everyday use (mostly coastal cruising in protected waters where you don't do a lot of swimming and stores are close by).

Unfortunately, smaller boats require bigger tradeoffs on dinghies. Just keep downsizing from the size mentioned above until you reach a size suitable for your boat.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:08   #7

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

9 foot west marine with a rib and hard floor. 4 HP yamaha on the back, Impossible to row if the current is running,
I have the boats name on the motor and dinghy, They prefer to steal the unmarked ones,

You know its yours with the name plastered all over it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:18   #8

Boat: Catalina 34

We use an 8' RIB with a 2hp Honda four stroke. The motor is reliable and light weight, which makes mounting and storage fairly easy.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47   #9

Boat: contessa 32

Reread post#6, Colemj is spot on.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:57   #10

Boat: Duncanson 37

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d
Im looking at getting this one but it only takes up to a four hp what do you think?
southace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:41   #11

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I bought a 10' inflatable with a wood floor and a 2 stroke 9.9 AND a long bike lock type cable to lock it all together to a dock or the sailboat. It'll pull a knee boarder or inner tuber, gets up on a plane quickly with 3 and a dog aboard. It's at the limit of what we can move around in size and weight. I'm glad I got exactly this size and I'm glad I didn't spend more, about $1500 for both. The boat was new and the Nissan had 1 hour on it.
I'm thinking of painting it pink to deter theft.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55   #12

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

The problem with name on dinghy,when left ashore,is the thieves know who's boat to rob.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36   #13

Boat: Ohlson 38

This year for my first trial period of living aboard, I spent only five months living on the hook, but It was long enough to form some first impressions.

I have an eight foot porta-bote that rows quite well, and had 3.5 horsepower outboard (stolen while ashore) which I chose not to use for the first two months. The 1/4 mile rowing distance, Changing tides, rowing visitors to and fro, rowing to fill water jugs and then realizing I had forgotten the jugs back at the boat, were a challenge at times but I stayed in good shape and had time to enjoy the wildlife along the way.

After one particularly grueling row, I began using the motor. I loved the convenience, speed, and lack of effort required. I left the boat more often. In a short time I gained ten pounds, became lazy, and my rides to shore became little more rewarding than an early morning Wash DC commute on the beltway. With a motor I was always worried about leaving my dinghy for extended periods, especially when it rained. Without a motor I could leave it in the rain for days and let it sink without issue and since it was such an ugly little boat I didn't worry about theft.

After my outboard was stolen I chose not to replace it for the time being.

I did seem to notice that people who rowed seemed to look a little healthier than the ones with RIBs. Just sayin.

I reserve the right to change my mind in the future. Eric
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:50   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Or you can take your rib out on offshore reefs to spend a few hours spearfishing and snorkeling, you can take your rib up a challenging river to spend a few hours hiking in the jungle and the mountains, you can take your rib 5 miles across a rough stretch of water to reach an island with caves to spelunk in or a reef to surf on, etc.

Just sayin, I notice that people who stay on their boats because they can't go very far in their dinghies seem to be less healthy than those who can get to the fun places.

And this is meant to be humor - just pointing out that it is the people themselves that choose whether to be healthy and fit or not - not the dinghy.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01   #15

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Just sayin, I notice that people who stay on their boats because they can't go very far in their dinghies seem to be less healthy than those who can get to the fun places.

And this is meant to be humor - just pointing out that it is the people themselves that choose whether to be healthy and fit or not - not the dinghy.

Mark
Hahahaha! Thanks for a good chuckle and a different perspective.. and I agree.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy