Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2016, 22:02   #106

Re: New, have $10K, family, and baby want to live aboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
I tend to believe it too since it actually happened to me, just like it happened to them. And it actually happened to several friends who had to have 15+HP engines replaced that were supposed to be able to run on Ethanol gas but could not.
I would never use just ethanol in any engine. I tried it once in a car that supposedly was designed to run on 100% ethanol; my engine light came on. I kept topping the tank up with regular fuel (10% ethanol) and the light went out. I haven't trusted ethanol since. If the government would stop subsidising it so much, perhaps we could get back to regular old gas.

Later, I was at some show where the ethanol people had a table and were singing the praises of it. I was talking with this girl and she was telling me how great ethanol was and how much cleaner it was. I asked her about her own car and how she liked it etc. just chit chat, until she told me she had to put a new engine in it. She never made the connection between the dead engine and the fuel she was using.

Re: the girl with the 10K. I'm guessing she was looking for help and perhaps confirmation that they were taking on more than they could handle. Don't forget she believed her husband was a good if not great sailor and he was telling her is was a piece of cake. I only read a few posts and my feeling about it was, she was getting a little voice in her ear telling her to look for more information.
Old 17-07-2016, 04:21   #107

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
What an astonishing display of confused illlogic.
A profound non-sequitor at best
It's anything but illogic. All based on fact and my experiences.....
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 04:32   #108

Quote:
I tend to believe it too since it actually happened to me, just like it happened to them. And it actually happened to several friends who had to have 15+HP engines replaced that were supposed to be able to run on Ethanol gas but could not.

People tend to believe things that happen to them over people telling them that its not true, especially by people who were not there.

Go figure!
Seems a bit strange though don't you think since people use 10% ethanol in outboards daily without problems.

Again, my 2011 5 hp outboard with it's small carb has had no problems to date and I use it a lot sometimes for only 3-5 minutes at a time for weeks just to get in and out of the slip. Other times to motor 20 miles or so. 10% ethanol that is bought in say late October early November stays in the tanks and is used again the following Spring

Maybe all you guys just turn your engines off in late September then tried to restart them in June of the following year which out taking the usual precautions.

Lack of experience with outboards and 10% ethanol maybe?
Old 17-07-2016, 05:58   #109
cruiser

Because it's getting much more difficult to win a Darwin Award. The competition these days is much more intense.

Ten years ago I almost won, but luckly when the grand piano fell down the stairs and landed squarely right on top of me..... I didn't die.

People have been doing dumber things since the proliferation of cellphones. Whenever they get in a jam, they think they can just call for help.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 07:52   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
People have been doing dumber things since the proliferation of cellphones. .
Pokemon Go
Old 17-07-2016, 08:34   #111

Boat: Scout 30

I decided to look up the latest information from Boat US regarding E10 or gas that is 10% ethanol. Here's a link to the article:
Three Ethanol Myths Clarified - BoatUS Magazine
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 10:05   #112

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I decided to look up the latest information from Boat US regarding E10 or gas that is 10% ethanol. Here's a link to the article:
Three Ethanol Myths Clarified - BoatUS Magazine
Boat US is only a good source if you have a fuel system like them. Boat US deals largely with people who use motor boats or who have fuel systems with internal metal tanks, and fuel separators and all the stuff that you basically have in your car.

For those with motor yachts, they use enough gas that their fuel systems are like an auto(like a Scout 30 for example).

If you are on a slip where you have ready access in the marina to electricity, to water, and to changing your fuel and buying new fuel, then the ethanol will be a non-problem for you.

If you use a lot of fuel so that that three gallon tank that you have to keep in your cockpit is regularly refilled, then the issues is probably not a big deal for you.

However, for some of us it is. Those of us who use the OB only as a back up for the sail and are unlikely to be using more than 1/3 of the tank throughout the entire sailing season can have an issue. For those of you who are out on a mooring where the moisture of rain and spray is everywhere, and for whom moving the three gallon tank back to the mainland in a little dinghy is something you do at the end of the season, because of the problem with doing it in the weight and the pain of finding some place to drain the unused fuel, ethanol can be a real problem. For those of you on a dinghy in an OB that is disconnected from the fuel line after use, the ethanol can be a problem. For those of you with small OB which does not have a fuel separator, ethanol can be a problem.

For you, you need to look at a website that addresses the issues that you have in your use situation head on:

Marine Problems with E10 Ethanol Fuel Blends.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 13:11   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Of course it doesn't add up...
That is why the American people, like the Government, are in debt up to their eyeballs. We may not want to admit it to ourselves, but this is why the majority of Americans view us cruisers as being part of the rich 1%-ers...well...because when you don't even have $1000 in your bank account we are! Remember that when the issue of "taxing the evil rich" comes up because friends...if you have enough money to go cruising, you have a "I'm rich" target on your back.

What doesn't add up to me is if you have a payment on a $300K house, car payments, etc. and have less than $1K in the bank, your going to be homeless real quick should you get "right sized" or something bad happen to you. I can't fathom that Joe Sixpack is that stupid.
I'm Joe Sixpack, and I'm not.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 13:38   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What doesn't add up to me is if you have a payment on a $300K house, car payments, etc. and have less than $1K in the bank, your going to be homeless real quick should you get "right sized" or something bad happen to you. I can't fathom that Joe Sixpack is that stupid.
I'm Joe Sixpack, and I'm not.

It is the American dream to own your own house. Banks push you to do it. Then you need a car, perhaps one for the wife as well.

If your income is below $40K, it wont be long before your savings are low and your expenses are high due to ongoing monthlies.

45.4 million people on food stamps...

$53,467 was average income over the country...

Means a lot of people earn less...

So... the reality is that the dream has gone and that people need to buy a cheaper house, use an older car and budget better... pay cash only and save.

I know in Florida that average hourly wage was $8 for someone with no qualifications...

Difficult times..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 14:14   #115
cruiser

Weavis,

So you pull yourself back up by workin' two jobs and gettin' edgicated. Instead of collecting handouts.

Hard work is the best motivation.

Your's is a list of excusses.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 14:39   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No,
I'd say his is a list of realities, people do allow themselves to be trapped, cause I guess they believe it's what your supposed to do.
I've always lived beneath my earnings, lived in a Mobile Home when an Officer in the Army for example, but sent both the wife and I to school with the savings, me night school of course.
But the average person is so "Social" now with Facebook and the other social media, TV etc telling them what they are supposed to like etc. They Have to have all the stuff and do the things that are popular, so they will be popular, right, drive the SUV, carry around a Yeti cup, wear the right clothes, the newest IPhone, so they will have all the right stuff.
Wife has a friend at work who is distraught, her Son doesn't like Football, and if you don't like Football, your not going to be in the In crowd, be popular, Oh no, what am I going to do?

But, how can you sleep at night knowing just one missed check, and your in trouble?

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 14:40   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Weavis,

So you pull yourself back up by workin' two jobs and gettin' edgicated. Instead of collecting handouts.

Hard work is the best motivation.

Your's is a list of excusses.
Statistics.

There are no excuses in statistics.

The reason for them is a different matter.

Most people I know in Florida in the low income sector work 2 and 3 jobs just to pay the bills. Its relentless when the jobs pay little. I know when I moved from California to Florida my pay went down for the same position and job from $150K to $72K. I changed jobs as soon as I could... the reason for the differential? Seems "no State tax was required in Florida" was quoted plus that was all they were going to pay.. .take it or leave it.. A right to work State.

A lot of people work Hard.... and are not rewarded for it. A lot of people dont have the mental capacity to be self employed.

But a person does have to live within their means...That is essential.
Old 17-07-2016, 14:41   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No,

But, how can you sleep at night knowing just one missed check, and your in trouble?
60% of American are learning to do it....
Old 17-07-2016, 17:05   #119

Quote:
Boat US is only a good source if you have a fuel system like them. Boat US deals largely with people who use motor boats or who have fuel systems with internal metal tanks, and fuel separators and all the stuff that you basically have in your car.

For those with motor yachts, they use enough gas that their fuel systems are like an auto(like a Scout 30 for example).

If you are on a slip where you have ready access in the marina to electricity, to water, and to changing your fuel and buying new fuel, then the ethanol will be a non-problem for you.

If you use a lot of fuel so that that three gallon tank that you have to keep in your cockpit is regularly refilled, then the issues is probably not a big deal for you.

However, for some of us it is. Those of us who use the OB only as a back up for the sail and are unlikely to be using more than 1/3 of the tank throughout the entire sailing season can have an issue. For those of you who are out on a mooring where the moisture of rain and spray is everywhere, and for whom moving the three gallon tank back to the mainland in a little dinghy is something you do at the end of the season, because of the problem with doing it in the weight and the pain of finding some place to drain the unused fuel, ethanol can be a real problem. For those of you on a dinghy in an OB that is disconnected from the fuel line after use, the ethanol can be a problem. For those of you with small OB which does not have a fuel separator, ethanol can be a problem.

For you, you need to look at a website that addresses the issues that you have in your use situation head on:

Marine Problems with E10 Ethanol Fuel Blends.
I used last November's 10% Ethanol in May.........

no problems....but my job at 10 years old was cutting/mowing lawns

Yeah, I had an educated lady from Culpepper, VA always asking me when are you going to "mow" my lawn.

Point is if you know a bit about small engines it helps.

Back at you Zedpass, experience can help in certain situations. If not with engines, with sailing.

My first 4 sailboats didn't have engines but I (and my crew 10-15 year old son) completed many races up to 100 miles over the 15 years I sailed/raced beachcats. (we did 4-5 of those and many 30 mile races)

Looks like you found the wrong "experienced" sailors
Old 17-07-2016, 17:20   #120

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

[QUOTE=thomm225;2168530]I used last November's 10% Ethanol in May.........

no problems....but my job at 10 years old was cutting/mowing lawns

/QUOTE]

I've put ethanol in every riding motor that I've had since 1995. I never had an issue. So I said that since I knew all about using ethanol in riding motors why would the motor out on the water be any different?

The website I posted explains exactly why its different than a riding motor for mowing grass.

I get tired of trying to explain it to people who's situation and experience negates it as an issue. But for those of us who are in a fairly select group(as i explained), it is an issue. We know who we are, even if others who haven't had the experience deny it for everyone. And if any of you find yourself in that select group then you have a very good chance of having it become an issue for you too.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family