Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 15:11   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Need some advice on 12V, corrosion and Macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

As does TWO $100 1TB USB driveS, to plug into the computer so your files are double backed up totally OFF the computer. After all, laptops and drives fail, even on land, in offices.
There, I fixed that sentence for you

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 21:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77
About half of crusing boats have pure sine wave inverters (the best kind) the other half have modified square wave inverters.
Computer power supplies will generally run fine on a non pure sine wave inverter.
My nieces MacBook pro (about 2years old) ran fine on my modified square wave inverter. She has stayed on the boat a couple of times for up to a month at time. We have full Internet access on board so with Facebook email, work and reviewing photos she was using the computer a few hours a day, so it was a good test, specific to your model.

In theory on a non pure sine wave inverter, the switch mode power supply (not the computer just the white box that plugs into the wall) will get slightly hotter, so make sure it's not in sun and has adequate airflow, but generally even these precautions are unnecessary.
A lot of my electronics didn't respond well to the "modified" sine wave (as opposed to pure). Some did, some didn't. If you're planning on plugging in various AC items and expecting them to work well, you're only going to see across the board positive results with the pure wave stuff. Really, it's the only selling point for the pure inverters. If there wasn't a clear advantage no one would be buying them.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 17:26   #18

Boat: Alberg 30
Re: Need some advice on 12V, corrosion and Macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There, I fixed that sentence for you

Mark
Depends on how important it is too. There are some good tough portable externals now, I'd go smaller(2.5" form factor) water/vibration resistant exterior, even if you have to downsize the drive space a bit.
If it's really important, back up again onto stick/chip/optical disk and mail a copy home when you can.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion