Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 10:37   #76

Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

If you have a Ribby just raft it abeam, tight lines fore and aft, put it in gear and you're good for several hundred miles.....says he talking from experience.
Put the gas tank on deck, makes refilling easier.
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Hi all my husband and I are in a slip in Ft. Lauderdale and are desperately needing someone to tow us to open water or close to open water. We are sailing up to Jacksonville but need to get towed through the bridges. If anyone has a suggestion or knows someone please reply. We dont have$ 200.00 an hour but can pay something. We need to get our boat home. Thanks all. [emoji1]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 10:50   #77

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
I don't think we are going to get any more information, or any more posts, from Carebear.
I think you're right...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 10:51   #78

Boat: Scout 30

To me it's clear that we have an inexperienced owner who is afraid of handling the boat & thinks that a tow would be an easy way for someone else to handle the boat for him. It's not being made clear because it's embarrassing is my guess. The owner needs help running the boat, not a tow. However, before this boat leaves the dock someone needs to dive it to make sure that the prop is not covered with oysters and that there's not too much growth to make this boat navigable. Also, no telling how long the fuel's been sitting so some extra filters wouldn't hurt. It's shortsighted to say just help them. These people need a lot of help including getting the boat ready to go & getting them from Ft Lauderdale to Jacksonville.

I hate to say it but this appears to be another case of the price of admission being too low.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 10:52   #79

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
If you have a Ribby just raft it abeam, tight lines fore and aft, put it in gear and you're good for several hundred miles.....says he talking from experience.
Put the gas tank on deck, makes refilling easier.
Bill
I think the OP said he had a working engine. (post # 18). That's not their problem. After 76 post nobody knows what the problem is. So lashing a dink to the boat will not help.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:54   #80

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
We need a tow because of bridges in Ft. Lauderdale. Not engine issues. We have engine power, but not a way to menuver the boat in the heavy traffic in the isles. Thanks[emoji1]
Not to sound crass, but that requires some explanation?
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 10:57   #81

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Not to sound crass, but that requires some explanation?
It does. Why does a boat that has a working engine need to be encumbered by towing to maneuver? Makes no sense at all. Now if you said you needed a captain, that'd make perfect sense.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 11:00   #82

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

helping others use to be a privilege, I'm just someone who isn't concerned by silly rules, I've always been responsible for my actions. , and helping others in need is what I did for a living for 25 years. Retired cop, California, and Oregon good,Samaritan rules apply in both. I don't know Floridas rules.

Boys I'm out. Lots of good men here, many of you have been very helpful to me personally in putting my ocean boat back together, for my great adventure.

If I can be of service in the future, please ask. It's all an oppertunity to learn.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 11:04   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Towing them to open water might be less than helpful and might even endanger them.
Sounds that way?
Old 02-01-2017, 11:24   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
my impression is that he not even need a tow, he has a running engine. He needs some help to get his boat out there, somebody to help him through the waterways and bridges to open water. Is this so difficult for us sailors....
I believe you nailed it. Someone onboard to offer advise would have no liability if not paid. A two liter bottle of Wild Turkey or as SC calls it Kicking Chicken might be in order, after the fact..
Old 02-01-2017, 11:25   #85

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Guys, I know your good men, my frustration come from the predicament our world has created. I just refused to be saddled with living my life worried about liability.

Use to be rules that were under the heading " Good Samaritan" where communities such as this looked after one another.

What amases me about this sailing community is, many here will sail out into a storm to salvage a friends boat. Commendable.

What saddens me is, no-one is lifting a finger to help a couple out, in your backyard.

Life's about choices, help, not help is an individual choice. I have to trust your judgement.

Have a good one.

Dirk
What a bunch of hooey! Why don't you go tow them out to sea?

There is something screwy about this post and all their subsequent posts. What they are requesting doesn't make sense.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:51   #86

I believe the OP has bought a boat that is large to them with a full keel and bowsprit and it may be on a old narrow canal behind a private house where the sellers family has probably taken over an wants to put the house on the market.
So the boat needs to be turned or maneuvered out of the canal and then out past the bridges. The boat might not be easy to back up and they are probably nervous about waiting for bridges to open.
I don't know the answer for getting out of the canal especially if it is lined with other peoples expensive boats, but the best way to deal with bridges that have to open for you is to go late at night or early in the morning when there isn't much traffic to slow the process.
My process was to get near the bridge and beep the horn 5 times, but you can also call them on VHF on their working channel. Even better would be to call them on the phone and learn their hours and possibly arrange an opening before you get to the bridge so you don't need to stop.
Since I am near Seattle, I could not help, but if I was nearby I would be willing to come look at the situation and see what I could suggest.

While I think lots of people are trying to ask questions the OP might feel like they are being attacked and have stopped answering, but they could just be busy with other things. I hope things work out.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:03   #87

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

I'm guessing that the boat is in Citrus Isles up the river in Ft Lauderdale. The canals are narrow and the boat may need to be backed out to the river...rather tricky with an unfamiliar boat. Also, I don't think towing down the river is such a good idea as there is a little current which would complicate waiting for an opening. My advice would be hire a captain to get them out to the ICW; then there are no more bridges they would need to open. I also agree that they should stick to the ICW going North unless they can guaranty no Northers during their trek.
aliddell is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 12:09   #88

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

To OP:
So you're in the Woodlands in lauterdale, on the SouthForkNewRiver, wanting out the Stranahan River inlet thru Mabel Lake.?
Perhaps invite a local to your yacht and ask for advice?
Or ask for a cf'er in the locale?
But seriously , I'm guessing they will ask for more precise info/details of the situation. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Unless of course you have something to hide. Then of course the red flags will continue to fly....
It's all really quite simple.
thruska is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 12:13   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
What a bunch of hooey! Why don't you go tow them out to sea?

There is something screwy about this post and all their subsequent posts. What they are requesting doesn't make sense.
Sure it makes sense. They are in over there head. I'm guessing another live aboard panacea. Never the less some one may help them, not a tow.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:15   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkeno View Post
I believe the OP has bought a boat that is large to them with a full keel and bowsprit and it may be on a old narrow canal behind a private house where the sellers family has probably taken over an wants to put the house on the market.
So the boat needs to be turned or maneuvered out of the canal and then out past the bridges. The boat might not be easy to back up and they are probably nervous about waiting for bridges to open.
I don't know the answer for getting out of the canal especially if it is lined with other peoples expensive boats, but the best way to deal with bridges that have to open for you is to go late at night or early in the morning when there isn't much traffic to slow the process.
My process was to get near the bridge and beep the horn 5 times, but you can also call them on VHF on their working channel. Even better would be to call them on the phone and learn their hours and possibly arrange an opening before you get to the bridge so you don't need to stop.
Since I am near Seattle, I could not help, but if I was nearby I would be willing to come look at the situation and see what I could suggest.

While I think lots of people are trying to ask questions the OP might feel like they are being attacked and have stopped answering, but they could just be busy with other things. I hope things work out.
In Southern Florida the bridges in that area open at specific times. The times are listed in publications. Calling on VHF is good when you get near.

Cheechako is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa