Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 19:26   #46

Boat: Boatless at the moment
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
By towing him out into the ocean and just turning him loose? Do you think that's a good idea?
No, of course not. Teach him on his boat, it seems he has had lessons, we all started being un-secure.
Tricolor is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 20:04   #47

Boat: 1975 Ta Chaio CT41

Ok, so you tow this boat under a few bridges to open water and cast off the lines. If the OP can't navigate inland waters when they get to the destination are they going to call Boat US to tow them to their slip? If they can't operate the boat they put themselves in danger as well as other boaters along the route. Hire a captain to move the boat and then hire someone to teach you to operate the boat safely. If something is going to go wrong it will do it OUT THERE. If the motor is sound operate it as a motor boat, if you can't make the trip in a motor boat you have no business on the water in that boat. Survival time in the water in the winter is very short.
curtis742 is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 20:12   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
@a64pilot

That's the right attitude in my eyes.

Far to little helpfulness and far to much lawyers running around these days.

That leads to people beeing scared to be helpful because they might get sued by some idiot down the line.

Sad times.

Very sad times indeed. Whenever I see someone in distress I like to think what if that was my mother or sister or daughter or wife needing help. Such a cynical and litigious world we live in. Whatever happened to helping one another because it is the right thing to do.....
surb is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 21:37   #49

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Good god, somesome go help these people. They need a tow, not a psychology session, with a bunch of self important sailboat skippers. Is this how it's done now a days.

I'm embarrassed after a quick game of 100 questions, these folks could be well on their way. Not one of you know if they are or are not sailors, the fact that they purchased a sailboat indicates they have at least some skills sets.

What they lack is funds, for a tow, they chance loosing their,boat, without fellow sailor assistance. These people reached out to that community, for help, and all they get is a Load of crap.

Nicely done gentleman.

Dirk Williams
Moss Landing Ca.
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 21:48   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Quote:
These people reached out to that community, for help, and all they get is a Load of crap.
Dirk, that seems an oversimplification of the situation to me. If they really want help, why will they not answer the simple questions that any rational potential helper would ask? There have been several posts that outline the downsides for a volunteer tower, some of which are more threatening than the situation the op seems to be in.

If I were in the area and thinking of offering help, I'd sure as hell ask those questions before taking up the tow. For a potential helper who isn't in the immediate area, knowing the answers before committing to the job would be essential. Surely a professional skipper would ask them.

I think your condemnation of CF members is unwarranted.

Jim
Old 01-01-2017, 21:50   #51

Boat: Boatless at the moment

my impression is that he not even need a tow, he has a running engine. He needs some help to get his boat out there, somebody to help him through the waterways and bridges to open water. Is this so difficult for us sailors....
Tricolor is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 22:35   #52

Boat: islandpacket

Just a guess and no insult intended. The boat is alot bigger than he's used to. Its in a tight location with other expensive boats close at hand and he has to back this thing and turn without hitting anything. I've been there, overwhelmed and feels pushed to do something before he's ready. Crew has even less experienced and doesn't really understand the problem. You don't know that you don't know. So a slight tow out the slip and down the canal between the expensive stuff feels much safer.

Maybe knock on a few of the doors with boats out back. Someone must have gone out with the po and may have real local knowledge or suggestions.
Best of luck to you. We're just confused, but really want to help. We Just don't understand the maneuvering issue and don't want to cause the original poster more problems by offering wrong suggestions. IMHO.
be safe and best wishes
Old 01-01-2017, 22:38   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
my impression is that he not even need a tow, he has a running engine. He needs some help to get his boat out there, somebody to help him through the waterways and bridges to open water. Is this so difficult for us sailors....
I confess being a cynic but I have and will lend a hand to people to return to safety .

I also have a ******** detector. When people need navigation or guidance they just ask for it. Someone can easily show them that if they ask.

Instead they asked for a tow. Vaguely allude to issues that need sorted out at sea.

I've been a sucker in my youth. The con is once you're towing and out in open waters, you're stuck with the tow. You can't responsibly cut someone loose - lives are at stake. But to ignore the underlying issues is no help. Dishonest people also don't invite help because what else are they being coyabout .
Old 01-01-2017, 23:10   #54

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

First off, not meaning to be cynical, but something here is not right. The OP is being too vague with her responses, when asked specific questions. Hmmm, too many red flags... Secondly, I find it insulting from certain posters-you know who you are- who sit here and say 'These people need help, go help them'. If we sailors are such a cold hearted group that you're offended, step up and volunteer to assist them. Be the hero white knight. I wouldn't have any problem assisting or towing someone who was in legitimate trouble, but if getting their boat out to open water is challenging for them, how on earth are they going to get into port???
Souzag818 is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2017, 23:46   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

C.F. moderator comment.

Hi Carebear1968

On behalf of Cruisers Forums, we are sorry about your predicament.

However, to be fair, we really are trying to understand what it is that we can do.

# If your systems are working and you have confidence issues in piloting, then you need someone to assist to deliver your boat home with you.

# If you have mechanical problems, then you need someone to fix it for you.

# If you have a situational position of needing a different berth, then you need a different berth to fix some issues.

As pointed out, towing is perhaps a bigger issue than you think and with the information we have regarding your situation, might not be the optimal solution to a problem that exists.

CF members can usually assist with any problem but we need to know what the problem is to enable us to do that. We have been presented with a request that is difficult to fulfil legally and logistically and which may have a simpler solution.

When you take a car to a garage with a fault, the mechanic asks for the symptoms of the problem and THEY diagnose and fix it. Here it requires the same attitude. Tell the members what the problem is and the experts among us with time and boats can advise as to best solution.

Unless you do this, no one will risk damage to their expensive vessel in a tow which may not be required when a simpler solution can be found.

There is no judgement involved. Communication via written media is difficult at the best of times.

If the engine works or requires a little attention, please state.

We can start at that point.
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 02:44   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
C.F. moderator comment.

Hi Carebear1968

On behalf of Cruisers Forums, we are sorry about your predicament.

However, to be fair, we really are trying to understand what it is that we can do.

# If your systems are working and you have confidence issues in piloting, then you need someone to assist to deliver your boat home with you.

# If you have mechanical problems, then you need someone to fix it for you.

# If you have a situational position of needing a different berth, then you need a different berth to fix some issues.

As pointed out, towing is perhaps a bigger issue than you think and with the information we have regarding your situation, might not be the optimal solution to a problem that exists.

CF members can usually assist with any problem but we need to know what the problem is to enable us to do that. We have been presented with a request that is difficult to fulfil legally and logistically and which may have a simpler solution.

When you take a car to a garage with a fault, the mechanic asks for the symptoms of the problem and THEY diagnose and fix it. Here it requires the same attitude. Tell the members what the problem is and the experts among us with time and boats can advise as to best solution.

Unless you do this, no one will risk damage to their expensive vessel in a tow which may not be required when a simpler solution can be found.

There is no judgement involved. Communication via written media is difficult at the best of times.

If the engine works or requires a little attention, please state.

We can start at that point.
Excellent summary of the situation. So far based on the limited information available a tow out to open water looks like the worst thing someone could do for the OP as they either don't have the skills or there are mechanical issues that need to be addressed (fixing them while on open water sailing is a bad idea).

Also, I suspect the Boat US towing policy will not go along with covering a tow on a boat that had a known issue before buying the insurance. That's not how insurance works otherwise, everyone would simply wait until they needed a tow before buying. Doubly so if the goal is to tow said boat to open water where you are likely to need another tow to get into your destination.

As far as those saying we should just ignore the underlying problem and give him a tow, that would be like if you asked a mechanic to tow your car in for an engine overhaul because it won't start and the mechanic never bothered to check that the only reason the car wouldn't start is the gas tank is empty.

To the OP: Please share the real reason you are asking about a tow so we can offer better guidance.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 07:22   #57

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Looks like the boat is in a tight spot. Ft Lauderdale probably has a lot of old narrow canals. I am in Palm Coast and these canals are nice and wide bit Palm Coast was built in the 70's, 80's and even 90's.

If they could get the boat turned around I would recommend they use the ICW.

Carebearer - let me know if you decide to use the ICW. I recommend stopping at Bings Landing for a good BBQ sandwich. It is right off the ICW with usually ample room to dock a boat.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 07:30   #58

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Whatever their reasons are, or whatever the real problems are, if the boat is driveable, they need a captain, not a potentially hazardous tow.

I bought a 30 foot Catalina in good shape last April and needed to get it from Mobile to Gulfport. I hadn't sailed in a decade and never a "real" sailboat (19' Com-Pac). I asked the marina if they knew of someone who could accompany me and they suggested one of the liveaboards who was a BoatUS tow captain. He offered to do it for $200 and a ride back to Mobile, as he had some time off, which was an exceptional offer. We wound up motoring 15 hours into the wind.

There's usually someone at the marina willing to do a little hand-holding for a reasonable amount of cash.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 07:30   #59
SFS

I don't think we are going to get any more information, or any more posts, from Carebear.
SFS is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 07:48   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
the fact that they purchased a sailboat indicates they have at least some skills sets.
I'm guessing you've not spent much time in Florida...
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa