Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 20:51   #301

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Multihull in distress.

Ode to the Credit Card Captains.
It's on Youtube.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 21:11   #302

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
3. 120 tons cranes trying to lift 132 tons of yacht plus the weight of the wáter inside.

http://ultimahora.es/sfAttachPlugin/413238.mp4
Not same boat.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 01:33   #303

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Not same boat.
No, not the same boat, this one get destroyed in Andraitx in the same W Gale....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 05:04   #304

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Ode to the Credit Card Captains.
It's on Youtube.

So, lots of mistakes here. Sails up, motor off, no control. Maybe the guy was stupid, but maybe he had a problem.

Last summer we were on a cat taking ASA sailing classes in the BVI when a guy came in hot with his jib out. Turns out the furler jammed. Same thing...one anchor out, second anchor out, dragging over a reef, kids on deck in range of flapping jib. Our instructor went to the rescue.

Then there is bikini girl who's frequently going for the beverage...I am certain it is a Pepsi.

My problem is the holier-than-thous who post a video like this for the purpose of making fun of the people in distress. The 2017 United States also has significant animas towards the people with money or success, hence the obnoxious "Credit Card Captains" moniker. Sigh. Who knows, or cares, of the financial situation of these people. Maybe they were learning. Maybe they had an equipment failure that was unexpected (I am sure that rarely happens on a charter) and difficult to deal with. Maybe they had a medical emergency that left their skilled captain incapacitated. But come on, don't begrudge someone's success and ability to rent a boat.
Sawbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 05:40   #305

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

You probably need a few bucks to buy a 2 mill plus cat. Aside from that, yes there are people with no boat experience who go out and buy a big boat and just hit the touch pad and go. My brother and his family were almost killed off block island, when , in total pea soup a huge power boat came flying by. Obviously on autopilot heading for Montauk. On not casting dispersion on anyone's finances, I do ok, but you have some folks who make big bucks on wall st etc, wherever who have no boating experience and think because of all the modern systems it's point and click. Trying to make excuses for that idiot in the video is ridiculous. I suppose his rudder fell off too. Never should of been rented that boat, but it's allabout the buck.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 06:55   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
You probably need a few bucks to buy a 2 mill plus cat. Aside from that, yes there are people with no boat experience who go out and buy a big boat and just hit the touch pad and go.
Not unlike the road.

Quote:
My brother and his family were almost killed off block island, when , in total pea soup a huge power boat came flying by. Obviously on autopilot heading for Montauk.
Truly unfortunate, but realistically impossible to draw conclusions on who was at the helm or their experience. It was, after all, "total pea soup".

Quote:
On not casting dispersion on anyone's finances, I do ok, but you have some folks who make big bucks on wall st etc, wherever who have no boating experience and think because of all the modern systems it's point and click.
One could infer from this statement that those with much experience, including you, don't make mistakes or endure trials of any kind. I would not be one of them. People make similar mistakes in driving a car, bus, plane or treating their maladies with over-the-counter remedies (all of which I personally have experience/training to do).

Quote:
Trying to make excuses for that idiot in the video is ridiculous. I suppose his rudder fell off too. Never should of been rented that boat, but it's allabout the buck.
I was certainly not making any excuses. I was not there and the video clearly gives no background. For those same reasons I believe it foolish for others to draw conclusions. An honest and concerned take on what happened would not start off with references to their financial status. It is a transparent attempt to mock someone better off than the poster.

BTW, mistyped "animus" in my previous post.
Old 16-03-2017, 07:57   #307

Your obviously someone who likes to argue for arguments sake. I think most people understand the point I'm making. Anyone with a brain would not of been going wide open in a 50 ft formula in fog. As for your other comment, I grew up in sands point long island. My family is wealthy, but were not snobs so I didn't mention it. I'm not jealous of anyone's finances. We were taught to respect the sea.
Old 16-03-2017, 08:04   #308

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Well well!! **** happen,,,,

https://youtu.be/O-NkUKn5vyQ
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 08:04   #309

Quote:
Your obviously someone who likes to argue for arguments sake. I think most people understand the point I'm making. Anyone with a brain would not of been going wide open in a 50 ft formula in fog. As for your other comment, I grew up in sands point long island. My family is wealthy, but were not snobs so I didn't mention it. I'm not jealous of anyone's finances. We were taught to respect the sea.
Actually, I am not. My post, that I suppose you replied to, was about drawing conclusions based on no evidence and the attitude of many people against those with some wealth just because of that wealth. You mentioned the pea soup fog and a big boat almost hitting your brother and friends, which was a totally different point, but I did use it as an example of drawing conclusions without evidence or direct knowledge. You have a point, I have another. Hope you have a great day!
Old 16-03-2017, 08:44   #310
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Sawbonz, I know you must be a pretty cool dude to hang out at the bar with, but I would bet a grand you never sailed your own boat yet... I may even put a hundred on your never sailed without the help from another sailor.

Now don't get mad, there's nothing wrong with that, but it does show and it may be a better tactic to not take on the experienced sailors here yet. May be a couple decades on the water and you're ready for this

I can see someone like you (not you of-course), claiming that this guy in the video may have had a "malfunction" of some sort to cause such havoc, then step from RV into sailing, probably with a catamaran and do it all over but with two hulls for double trouble
Meanwhile, for all experienced sailors, it is clear that the guy in the video doesn't have a clue, is to blame for everything that happened there, and will have to pay for all the damage caused; money that he should have spent on sailing classes We know that so well because we've seen it so often I can point out the scars on my boat from encounters with the kind.

Now, do experienced sailors never cause any damage? No, they don't. We're like gods; if there's any damage at all then it must've been caused by other factors, like equipment malfunction
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 08:53   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Sawbonz, I know you must be a pretty cool dude to hang out at the bar with, but I would bet a grand you never sailed your own boat yet... I may even put a hundred on your never sailed without the help from another sailor.

Now don't get mad, there's nothing wrong with that, but it does show and it may be a better tactic to not take on the experienced sailors here yet. May be a couple decades on the water and you're ready for this

I can see someone like you (not you of-course), claiming that this guy in the video may have had a "malfunction" of some sort to cause such havoc, then step from RV into sailing, probably with a catamaran and do it all over but with two hulls for double trouble
Meanwhile, for all experienced sailors, it is clear that the guy in the video doesn't have a clue, is to blame for everything that happened there, and will have to pay for all the damage caused; money that he should have spent on sailing classes We know that so well because we've seen it so often I can point out the scars on my boat from encounters with the kind.

Now, do experienced sailors never cause any damage? No, they don't. We're like gods; if there's any damage at all then it must've been caused by other factors, like equipment malfunction
You would win! I have my own power boat, but after classes and one charter I am still a sailing novice and not afraid to admit it.

I don't get mad. It isn't worth it. I also don't dispute that that cat driver may well have been a total moron...it's in my first post, first line I think. I _am_ saying that it isn't smart to draw conclusions without direct knowledge (surely a byproduct of my medical background) and that at least I personally am tired of the propensity to make fun of the "wealthy" by the "poor". You see, some of us "wealthy" (definitely a byproduct of my medical background) have worked our arses off, taken risk and sacrificed for decades to afford that little techno-doodad that lets us sail with everyone else.

Anyway, I am not a bar hopper but you sound like someone I would drink a beer (or two. Maybe three.) with. I hope I see you out there sometime.
Old 16-03-2017, 09:40   #312
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post

Anyway, I am not a bar hopper but you sound like someone I would drink a beer (or two. Maybe three.) with. I hope I see you out there sometime.
Barhopping is a waste of drinking time...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 11:16   #313
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
You would win! I have my own power boat, but after classes and one charter I am still a sailing novice and not afraid to admit it.
see! and that is what makes you different from that guy in the video, who still thinks he's Popeye!
Also, you don't attack me in rage after my comments, which is another giveaway

Quote:
... I personally am tired of the propensity to make fun of the "wealthy" by the "poor". You see, some of us "wealthy" (definitely a byproduct of my medical background) have worked our arses off, taken risk and sacrificed for decades to afford that little techno-doodad that lets us sail with everyone else.

You don't have to worry about that here... me, with my Sundeer 64, take all that flak on this forum Having been a sailor from before I could walk takes a lot of edge off the remarks though so it isn't too bad

We have set up a new home base around the Titusville - Port Canaveral area and the plan is to move the boat back North end this year or next year so we may actually meet :-)

p.s. I also have a motorhome :-
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 19:49   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Well well!! **** happen,,,,

https://youtu.be/O-NkUKn5vyQ
I like the gas dock video lmao. What the hell? One line on the midship cleat. lol. Christ the throw the guy on the dock another line. That's great.
Old 17-03-2017, 09:46   #315

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
I like the gas dock video lmao. What the hell? One line on the midship cleat. lol. Christ the throw the guy on the dock another line. That's great.
Put the boat in slow ahead, and in 5 seconds you can walk onto the dock and tie the rest of the lines up.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress, hull, multihull