Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 17:45   #151

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Multihull in distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
A quote from a journalist.... so this should therefore be written in a manual for the boat. Or in some sort of factory documentation, if we're actually true. No?

So where's that?

I'll have a look and see.
Well, as most sailing journals get criticized for being mouthpieces for the manufacturers ...

Anyways, it's a journal article from 1984, during the production run of the heavenly twins, posted on the owners association website which is as close as you'll get to the manufacturer for that particular catamaran these days. Highly believable the manufacturer used it in sales material, either verbally as kenomac has told for a different cat, or possibly in print.

Still waiting on your sources.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 17:46   #152

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Catamaran’s are designed to lose their mast at 50 knots with FULL SAILS up

Quote:
Any proof of this 'designed to lose your mast' stuff?
Yes!!!!!
Yes!!!!!
Yes!!!!!
Yes!!!!!
Yes!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-9-2017 8-34-08 PM.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	142805   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-9-2017 8-31-35 PM.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	142806  

Name:	3-9-2017 8-31-01 PM.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	142807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Demast.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	142808  

Name:	3-9-2017 8-33-39 PM.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	142809   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-9-2017 8-38-48 PM.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	142810  

Name:	3-9-2017 8-44-36 PM.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	142811  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 17:51   #153

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
So what happens to your theory when you look at Cats that flipped?
That 'cos the owner up-spec'd the rigging as they preferred capsizing to a hole in a hull or head.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 17:51   #154
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Well, as most sailing journals get criticized for being mouthpieces for the manufacturers ...

Anyways, it's a journal article from 1984, during the production run of the heavenly twins, posted on the owners association website which is as close as you'll get to the manufacturer for that particular catamaran these days. Highly believable the manufacturer used it in sales material, either verbally as kenomac has told for a different cat, or possibly in print.

Still waiting on your sources.

Read my last post. A magazine article on an association site, which also looks like it's contradicting itself, does not constitute proof. There may yet be proof of it, I'm still looking. Any help on that? Any other documentation on the Heavenly Twins boat?

My sources for what? I didn't make the claim. I've already given the responses from the manufacturers and rigger that I spoke to. It doesn't happen.

At the end of the day, if it's true that production cat builders, or any cat builders, engineer fuses into their rigging there'll be evidence of that in some sort of manufacturing, engineering or operations documentation from a manufacturer. Let's see that and put this to bed.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 17:52   #155

Quote:
So, further to my last post quoting you...the stability page on the heavenly twins site talks about wind speed for lifting a hull yet strangely omits this 'designed in safety feature' of the mast coming down - http://www.heavenlytwins.co.uk/master.php (not a direct link I don't think, click Stability

Or, read this quote from the site

Why not mention this safety feature?

What's the deal with Heavenly Twins? Were they a production boat or a design you could buy and build? Anyone have any further documentation on them? I'll keep looking...
I believe that they are using a rote formula for calculating stability. I believe that is being done by the owners' association, not by the manufacturer.

Heavenly twins are/were a fairly remarkable little catamaran manufactured in Great Britain and known for being fairly robust for their size and acceptable small circumnavigators. They stopped production in the early 90's I believe.

Not my favorite small cat, I would prefer an Iroquois, but I recognize their sturdiness; such as rudders integrated into the hulls to prevent snags. Almost bought one in Florida a couple of years ago but went mono instead for price reasons.
Old 09-03-2017, 17:53   #156
cruiser

Re: Catamaran’s are designed to lose their mast at 50 knots with FULL SAILS up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Yes!!!!!

Yes!!!!!

Yes!!!!!

Yes!!!!!

Yes!!!!!

You don't seem to understand what proof is. The capsized multi above shows the hole in your 'proof'.

Let's see some manufacturers documentation describing their 'engineered fuse safety feature'

I'll even help you and keep looking myself.
Old 09-03-2017, 17:55   #157
cruiser

Quote:
I believe that they are using a rote formula for calculating stability. I believe that is being done by the owners' association, not by the manufacturer.

Heavenly twins are/were a fairly remarkable little catamaran manufactured in Great Britain and known for being fairly robust for their size and acceptable small circumnavigators. They stopped production in the early 90's I believe.

Not my favorite small cat, I would prefer an Iroquois, but I recognize their sturdiness; such as rudders integrated into the hulls to prevent snags. Almost bought one in Florida a couple of years ago but went mono instead for price reasons.

Fair enough. Still seems strange that the association wouldn't mention this safety feature on their stability page. I would have thought it would be a USP.

I'll keep searching, thanks for your response.
Old 09-03-2017, 18:00   #158

Community Sponsor

Cats that flipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
So what happens to your theory when you look at Cats that flipped?
Performance catamarans are designed with a different Safety Sail Plan / Reefing Chart.

Performance catamarans are designed NOT TO LOSE THEIR MAST

They are designed to fly a hull, so the design is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than a Cruising Catamaran.

Cruising Catamarans are designed to lose their mast if they have FULL SAILS UP AT 50 KNOTS.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gunboat-foiling-capsize.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	142813   Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	142814  

Name:	the..jpg
Views:	114
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	142815  
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2017, 18:05   #159
cruiser

Multihull in distress.

So you consider cruising catamarans designed at the performance end of the spectrum to not be 'cruising catamarans' but only 'performance catamarans'? It might help us to know your definitions of how this all works. Where is this line drawn? It might help us also to know which manufacturers, or even specific models, which are designed with the fuse.

You do realise you posted pictures of two dismasted gunboats above but are now saying that the performance cats have a fuse? Is a gunboat a performance cat?

Seriously....
Old 09-03-2017, 18:06   #160
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cats that flipped

Quote:
Performance catamarans are designed with a different Safety Sail Plan / Reefing Chart.

They are designed to fly a hull, so the design is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than a Cruising Catamaran
The Gunboat mid capsize I'll grant you.. but I don't think the other three are 'Performance Cats'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 18:08   #161

Quote:
Fair enough. Still seems strange that the association wouldn't mention this safety feature on their stability page. I would have thought it would be a USP.

I'll keep searching, thanks for your response.
I would think that you'd most likely find reference to it in sales material, like what kenomac experienced. A huge psychological barrier for a lot of potential cat buyers is the capsize risk. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see manufacturers making this claim in the sales literature. Whether or not that's believable is a whole different story. For what it's worth, only one reported capsize of a twins and in the conditions he was in I'm not sure you can say whether wind or wave was the primary cause. Not sure if there's a count of the number of rig failures

I'm not sure how the fuse theory would come across in the operations manual: "don't worry about reefing, you're more likely to lose your rig than capsize in high winds." Better to provide the reefing schedule per fountaine pajot.

All sales material is suspect though, of course. Not trusting the sales people or the engineers, I like to remove at least one bolt from my chain plates, cut into my standing rigging a little, and encourage rust to grow on my shroud terminals just to make sure the rig goes first. I just hate getting my feet wet!

Good luck on your search!
Old 09-03-2017, 18:09   #162

Community Sponsor

Re: Cats that flipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The Gunboat mid capsize I'll grant you.. but I don't think the other three are 'Performance Cats'..
All your pictures show Performance Catamarans.

All the pictorial facts agree.
Old 09-03-2017, 18:21   #163
cruiser

Multihull in distress.

Quote:
I would think that you'd most likely find reference to it in sales material, like what kenomac experienced. A huge psychological barrier for a lot of potential cat buyers is the capsize risk. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see manufacturers making this claim in the sales literature.
Well, he's relaying what he heard, not actual sales material. I agree, it would be a huge selling point to those who fear capsize. And given the 'traditional views' that appear so often regarding how cats are 'so prone' to capsize you'd think a big deal would be made of such a feature. But, alas, I have found none and no one has posted any. There's plenty of people attending boat shows yet no one has mentioned it...

Quote:
Whether or not that's believable is a whole different story. For what it's worth, only one reported capsize of a twins and in the conditions he was in I'm not sure you can say whether wind or wave was the primary cause. Not sure if there's a count of the number of rig failures

I'm not sure how the fuse theory would come across in the operations manual: "don't worry about reefing, you're more likely to lose your rig than capsize in high winds." Better to provide the reefing schedule per fountaine pajot.

All sales material is suspect though, of course. Not trusting the sales people or the engineers, I like to remove at least one bolt from my chain plates, cut into my standing rigging a little, and encourage rust to grow on my shroud terminals just to make sure the rig goes first. I just hate getting my feet wet!

Good luck on your search!

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2017, 18:23   #164
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cats that flipped

Quote:
All your pictures show Performance Catamarans.

All the pictorial facts agree.
What facts.. that they're capsized..??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 18:25   #165
cruiser

Re: Cats that flipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What facts.. that they're capsized..??

Hahaha, exactly.

I'm waiting to hear his explanation of why he's contradicted himself too. Oh the lols!

Tags
distress, hull, multihull