Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2010, 18:03   #1

Mexico and Central America vs South Asia

If I'm interested in good diving and fishing, smooth sailing, not too hot and CHEAP living for 1 yr. which part of the world would you choose for cruising? South Asia = Thailand, Malaysia, and Philippines ??

Thanks
devilfishlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 19:01   #2

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
The Philippines could easily be a whole year long cruise in its self. 7107 islands surrounded by some of the best diving in the world. The fishing is superb and nearly untapped as the locals prefer small fish and do not have gear to catch the bigguns. The only place I have ever heard of being able to catch Mahi Mahi from land! (off cliffs near Dumaguette)

The travel advisories recommend not traveling in Mindanao. This is hype and if you have any respect for other cultures you will be safe. As a matter of fact, Davao in Mindanao is one of the safest cities in all of SE Asia. I have lived in Bislig, Mindanao for years and can tell you all of the Philippines is safe and a somewhat forgotten cruiser destination. Cant wait to sail back home once I find a boat!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 08:25   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'
Sounds good to me, that is one part of the world that I have not explored. I once had a friend that stayed in a cabin over the water for $5.00 per day, I am sure that if one is sailing around and anchoring out that it would be much cheaper. I totally agree with respecting the cultures, nothing will get you into trouble quicker than not showing proper respect.
Old 21-06-2010, 09:12   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We haven't done the Phillipeans yet, but will some day, I guess in a few years.

We are heading to the Caribbean again And will enjoy that area, Central & South America and the USA for a few years whilst poping over to the med when we can.

To us australians the Carribean/Central America is exoitc.. To Americans its their back yard.

To Aussies Thailand SE Asia is our back yard and the USA and Eur folks its exotic!

Maybe you have to do what we did and do a quick zip around the world and do a taste tester of all the regions

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia, Central America, Mexico, South America