Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2015, 11:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Mexican TIP/HIN number checks if you have no HIN No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordwedman View Post
Just got an email from Marina Seca Guaymas saying the Mexican government may once again be visiting marinas and boatyards to compare TIP registration numbers to what is found on the boat.

"We was been noticed, very soon all the marinas in Mexico could have an inspection from the government to check all the Temporary Import Permits are OK. It is nothing to be worry, we just gonna ask everyone please to let us know in which place of your boat we can find the Hull Identification number, this one must match with the one on your TIP, we will verify every single boat.

If we find inconsistencies on your TIP we will contact you to help us resolving the problem ASAP and prevent complications in case of an inspection"
New thread as I did not want to hijack existing threads on this subject,

My vessel does not have a HIN Number as it was built as a “one off/home built” in the UK in 1974 which was before HIN numbers were introduced/became mandatory

My question is

I am planning to go to Isla Mujeres early next year and wondered if anyone has current experience of obtaining a TIP without a HIN number.

What kind of problems can I expect and what is the best way to approach this?
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 12:05   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Mexican TIP/HIN number checks if you have no HIN No.

New Boatbuilders Home Page - Hull Identification Numbers
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 09:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

My vessel is UK Part 1 registered and the current paperwork shows a blank in the HIN field so the article referring to US HIN numbers will not work for me.

I will not have the time to get a HIN Number and get the MCA in UK to change my paperwork so my question remains

If I arrive in Mexico without a HIN No what problems will this cause me with the Mexican Customs and are there any suggestions as to how to proceed?
Old 15-10-2015, 12:31   #4

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
My vessel is UK Part 1 registered and the current paperwork shows a blank in the HIN field so the article referring to US HIN numbers will not work for me.

I will not have the time to get a HIN Number and get the MCA in UK to change my paperwork so my question remains

If I arrive in Mexico without a HIN No what problems will this cause me with the Mexican Customs and are there any suggestions as to how to proceed?
Do you have any kind of official registration number on your paperwork? Last year Mexico started allowing you to put an official registration number on your TIP instead of a HIN. I have been using my Canadian "blue book" registration number. No problems getting the TIP with this or with visiting marinas. I put it on the hull with vinyl numbers. It is also down below, carved into a fixed wood block as required by Canadian regulations. I have not had an official inspection though so I can't swear to smooth sailing there.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 13:42   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
New thread as I did not want to hijack existing threads on this subject,

My vessel does not have a HIN Number as it was built as a “one off/home built” in the UK in 1974 which was before HIN numbers were introduced/became mandatory

My question is

I am planning to go to Isla Mujeres early next year and wondered if anyone has current experience of obtaining a TIP without a HIN number.

What kind of problems can I expect and what is the best way to approach this?
I entered Isla Mujeres in May this year. Although I had a HIN number listed on my paperwork (bill of sale, de-registration certs) I could not find the number anywhere on my hull. I used an Agent and it wasn't a problem.

I recommend you use an agent and he will take care of everything. Sure it costs a little more, but may be worth it to save the hassle. Isla Mujeres can be a notoriously hard port to enter if you don't have your ducks in a row.

Another option is to have a HIN plate made and bolted to your boat before you leave. Pick a number, even the registration number and get a plate engraved. Mount it somewhere and you are good to go!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 13:53   #6

Those of your with questions about TIPs could also read up at Latitude 38 - The West's Leading Sailing and Marine Magazine, use their website search engine.

They do mostly west coast MX stuff, but sometimes cover east coast, too.

Good luck. It's crazy down there. NOT. If you do your homework.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 21:36   #7

Boat: Custom 55

First, let me start by saying that this is only my experience. One thing we learned in 12 years of being full time in Mexico is that there really are no hard and fast rules. What happened to me may not be what happens to you at all.

There are a lot of 'experts' down there. They are wrong as often as they're right when it comes to how laws are enforced there. It's really a crapshoot.

I have had 3 boats in Mexico. 1 had a HIN, two did not. I actually had both of the non-hin boats down there at the same time the AGACE raids happened, one in La Cruz, the other in Paradise Village. Paradise village was not inspected, La Cruz was. The boat that was in La Cruz did not get inspected because she was actually in the travellift when the inspections occurred. I do not know for sure that I would have stayed off the impound list if she had been checked.

Anyway, in every case, I have used the vessel's official number on the TIP. All my boats that that number engraved into the boat in accordance with USCG rules, so I just went with that. I do know some other folks who have done the same thing, and they got through the inspections just fine.

So, assuming that you have something similar permanently affixed on your boat, I would suggest using that number rather than leaving the HIN spot blank on the TIP. I believe that this will satisfy pretty much any inspector. One thing we learned from the AGACE episode was that they really didn't know much. You should be ok.

If there's no permanent marking on your boat, I'm not sure what the best course of action would be. The people in San Carlos should be able to advise in this case.

Good luck. My guess is that they're going to be quite a bit more flexible this time around after all the bad press from the last episode.

Just one guy's opinion, mind you.

Good luck, TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:04   #8
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for all the replies

The vessel is UK Part 1 registered so it is a registered British ship not a sail boat. The Part 1 certification is also proof of ownership and does have an official Ships number.

This Official number is on a plate attached to a bulkhead so I guess that this should work.

I will report back in a few months if it does not

And thanks for the advice about using an agent, this rings true, I have been into Isla Mujeres twice a few years ago and did my own check in and saw the agents “jump the queue” in the Port Captain.

Just a general note, a bit of thread drift

I delivered a boat from Isla Mujeres, (El Milagro), to Belize last year and the owners used an agent for the paperwork but the agent only gave us 1 crew list, for Belize you will need at least 3.
Old 16-10-2015, 09:13   #9

Quote:
I delivered a boat from Isla Mujeres, (El Milagro), to Belize last year and the owners used an agent for the paperwork but the agent only gave us 1 crew list, for Belize you will need at least 3.
When I checked in to Isla Mujeres in May, I used the agent from El Milagro. He did a great job and helped through a very tough checkin (Boat out of Cuba, new owner, name change, no name on the boat, ect).

Its very common to only get a single crew list. Its up to you to make copies before you leave (or when you arrive).
Old 16-10-2015, 18:34   #10

This time may be different, but the last time Mexico checked HIN's on boats against TIPs and documentation, any discrepancy was enough to get the boat impounded. I am personally aware of a boat impounded because the HIN was not where expected on the boat (but it was on the transom and even when that was pointed out the boat remained impounded because the guys who had authority to impound did not have authority to unimpound, even to correct their own mistake.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 18:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
This time may be different, but the last time Mexico checked HIN's on boats against TIPs and documentation, any discrepancy was enough to get the boat impounded. I am personally aware of a boat impounded because the HIN was not where expected on the boat (but it was on the transom and even when that was pointed out the boat remained impounded because the guys who had authority to impound did not have authority to unimpound, even to correct their own mistake.
East or West coast? Seems to be a big difference!