Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 09:07   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Marina fees, common or gauging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
In the Houston area contractors are required to register with the marina and provide proof of insurance but no fee is charged to my knowledge.
This is very common. Service providers doing business on marina property typically have to carry ship repairers liability insurance. That's only smart, from both perspectives.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:10   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I see a huge variety in policies, fees and procedures that make for large differences in the cost and character of marinas. Some are very restrictive and present a plush environment with no DIY activity. We've even been at marinas that do not allow water hoses to be left coiled on the dock. Some require outside contracted workers to be bonded and present insurance as well as a fee while others pay no attention. I don't begrudge those that offer something different from what I want. I simply shop for my choice.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:15   #18

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

In Southern California it isn't unusual for the marina's to require all vendors to register, ( with a charge ), to be allowed work in the marina. In mine they pay $100 and have to indemnify the marina for $500,000 liability. The upside is they don't want to lose this ability to work in the marina and are more apt to provide better service and mitigate issues. The downside is that you are limited to the workers on the list. Bringing in your own people, while against the rules of the marina, is overlooked until there is a problem. At that point it is the renter's fault and there is a possibility that you will get kicked out. I waited 9 years for my slip and with a catamaran there are few slips available in any of the local marinas and at least a 5 year wait for any.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:20   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

One difference between California marinas and others elsewhere in the U.S. is that in California, marinas and boatyards are (by law) required to be separate business entities (perhaps to eliminate the very problem being discussed here.) Therefore, marinas do not provide any service other than boat storage. Service providers do not compete, in any way, with the marina.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:29   #20

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

In Curaçao, there was a vendor surcharge fee for outside services. There was little choice in the matter so it was accepted but everyone had there own "work around". Wink wink.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:44   #21

Boat: Grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I know of one marina near Toronto with this practice and given the circumstances it's not unreasonable (not at 25% tho'). The marina rents out building space to a major repair facility at somewhere near $20k per month. I don't think it's unreasonable that a tennant like that gets some protection from the guys that work out of the back of their trucks with no overhead.
My marina, right in Toronto has a rental agreement with a business however they do not charge to bring in an outside service. I wish they did because outside service providers have stolen 3 ladders, my pigtails, extension cords, hoses and perhaps things I haven't even missed yet.

As an infrequent user of any of these services I would prefer to keep the outsiders out.

Just my opinion.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:45   #22

Boat: 1975 Cal 2-29

Wow! I'm not only "wowing" the exorbitant fees but also the response denigrating the "Left Coast". I thought we were all adults who shared a passion for sailing, guess I was wrong...

I'm in a marina just south of San Fransisco. I pay 50 cents a foot, have power, water, wi-fi, hot showers and ample and safe parking. The people that run the marina couldn't be nicer and all they ask is that I check in with them to bring workers in.

At $220 a month, I figure I have the cheapest real estate in the Bay Area. I'm with Redhead on this one - move and l let them know why. Boats are expensive enough without being gouged by the marina...
CaitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitB View Post
Wow! I'm not only "wowing" the exorbitant fees but also the response denigrating the "Left Coast". I thought we were all adults who shared a passion for sailing, guess I was wrong...

I'm in a marina just south of San Fransisco. I pay 50 cents a foot, have power, water, wi-fi, hot showers and ample and safe parking. The people that run the marina couldn't be nicer and all they ask is that I check in with them to bring workers in.

At $220 a month, I figure I have the cheapest real estate in the Bay Area. I'm with Redhead on this one - move and l let them know why. Boats are expensive enough without being gouged by the marina...
Isn't 50 cents a foot on a 29' boat less than $15 a month? @ $220 a month you're closer to $8.50 a foot ( fairly common )
Old 02-12-2015, 09:56   #24

Boat: 1975 Cal 2-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
Isn't 50 cents a foot on a 29' boat less than $15 a month? @ $220 a month you're closer to $8.50 a foot ( fairly common )
Yes, sorry - I rent a 32' slip. The marina charges guests 50 cents per foot for overnights! Still cheap!
CaitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:02   #25

Boat: Island Packet 32

Nothing like that here, Watergate marina, Kemah, TX. The dockmaster requires that we keep our dock clean, and have appropriate dock lines. Couldn't be nicer or fairer about charges and their obligation to maintain public areas..
jpstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06   #26

Boat: 2000 Mainship 390

recently I saw a sign where marina charged you 100/day for an outside contractor to gain access to the yard(your boat)
ricktara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:13   #27

A number of the marinas in the Los Angeles/ Long Beach area charge $8 to $10 a foot. These marinas have great year around temperatures with a minimum of rain or inclement weather. They are not the most pristine docks, but they are the most lenient with letting you or anyone you want work on your boat. Places like Wilmington, while less desirable, is a great area to get quality work done at a fair price. 50 miles north of me, I take my boat there to haul out and have saved literally thousands. Welding, electrical as well as common bottom painting is always a discount and you are only 20 miles from Catalina island for an after haul out respite.

I was in America's Cup harbor on a delivery to San Diego and was shocked to see wild coyotes poised on the dock sneaking up on sea gulls and seals. It took getting real close before I realized they were stuffed like the plastic owls people use to scare away shorebirds.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:20   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Its like the Mob: You want to do something on their turf? They take a cut, period. You've got no say in the matter. You don't like it? You move out of their turf.

Is 25% on top of anything and everything piggy? Sure sounds like it. But that's the way it goes, there must be a reason why they got you and everyone else to bring boats to their operation, instead of someplace else.

Of course there's the option of taking your boat away for a daytrip or a couple of days, to the worker.

I don't think they'd want to bargain, or turn a blind eye, because once that starts, it can become a mess for them. But there is always that, if you say nicely "I can't afford this, is there anything we can do..." sometimes, they'll say yes. Depends on how badly they need your business.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:33   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitB View Post

Maybe take another look. I have not read of any denigration of the "Left Coast". The majority of comments have been suggesting that there is a greater problem of the "Right Coast".
Old 02-12-2015, 10:46   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

in 30 years we were never asked to pay an 'outside contractor fee' save once and that was by another contractor in the marina! (we told him to pound sand). All required that we carried full liability insurance and workers comp. The one time we were asked it seemed this one 'in house' contractor made his money by letting (uninsured) outside contractors work there 'on his insurance' and wanted 25% of the total bill for that. We were amazed his insurance company permitted this and offered to call them to confirm... that ended that.

My take is that being asked to pay a yard for the privilege of working there is nuts. I do understand not allowing competing services (you couldn't bring McDonald's food into a Burger King) but pay to play seems out of line for non-competing services.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees