Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 20:26   #1

Question Looking to liveaboard first boat in FL, plz advise

Hey everyone, I've been working on my move-to-FL-and-live-on-a-boat plan and have made some progress- joined the sail club here in Dallas, am setting up a tenant in my Dallas house so I don't have to sell it, and have put out some job applications in Miami that will hopefully come through.

I'm thinking that as soon as I get some job and move out there, I'll just get a temp room somewhere while I boat shop, and if everything goes great maybe I'll be living aboard for the holidays (I've heard it's better to boat shop in fall/winter for lower prices, right?). I've been keeping an eye on yachtworld and I really like the style of these two, but my boat knowledge is still very low, so please give me any/all feedback about why these may or may not be good candidates for a noob boater to live on.

1978 Catfisher 28 Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1985 Fisher Pilothouse Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I notice that the smaller boat seems to have two masts, but that's not how the schematic shows it- is that maybe an after-market modification or something? Also it seems to have no dinghy, or am I just missing something? Also, is it reasonable to expect that a European boat will likely have European electric current/sockets, or is there some diff standard for boats, and in any case would that be a prob keeping in Miami? Finally, for either one, is it appropriate to discuss delivery options with the broker, and/or how difficult/expensive is it to independently arrange delivery from Scotland or Pacific Mexico to Miami?

Also, I think I'd like to dock it at either Rickenbacker Marina in Miami, Dinner Key, or Crandon, or maybe even Pelican a bit further north, so opinions on that aspect welcome too.

Thanks!
phairest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 05:26   #2

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Looking to liveaboard first boat in FL, plz advise

Firstly: why on earth are you considering boats in Scotland and Mexico, when there are literally hundreds available in Florida? You will pay a fortune to get the Scottish boat to America, and it will have all 220 volt equipment.
Secondly: make sure whatever you finish up with has air conditioning installed, or at least some way to fit one, even a domestic unit in the companionway. 95 degrees is not funny on a boat, anywhere.
Thirdly: keep well clear of Miami and Ft Lauderdale. As a newbie they will see you coming a mile away.....
Good luck.
Old 13-06-2015, 05:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Phairest,

Some answers and comments on your questions, in no particular order.

First I also ask why not look for boats in Florida. Especially for a first boat, buying such a long way from where you intend to keep the boat is not a good idea. The buying process is usually long and involved and could involve spending weeks wherever the boat is located. When that location is in a far distant location then you will have thousands maybe many thousands in travel expenses on top of the regular boat buying expenses. Then you are faced with spending more thousands to get the boat back to Florida. The one in Mexico you're looking at a very long trip through the Panama Canal. You can put boats on a ship and deliver them that way but again, many thousands of dollars.

All things considered; travel back and forth, overseas expenses, preparing the boat for a long trip back to FL and the actual delivery costs would add at least $10,000 to your costs, possibly double that or more.

You should be aware that Miami is one of the most expensive places in Florida to keep a boat. A slip at a marina for live aboard will cost as much per month in rent as a nice house.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 16:52   #4

Boat: Boatless

If you come to Miami, the best place to keep your boat is Dinner Key Marina if you are going to live aboard. It is a nice facility and walking distance from the center of Coconut Grove. I keep my 35 footer there for $668 per month, including electric and sales tax, on an annual rate. But don't say you are a liveaboard as the rates are higher if you do. There is a very nice live aboard community there, and the new facilities, showers, etc are top rate.

The Coconut Grove Sailing Club is a short walk away. Membership is an initiation fee of $500 and annual cost of about $650 half of which is paid monthly. You'll immediately meet lots of sailors in a very informal environment e.g. dressing up is a shirt with a collar. Really nice folks who will make you feel welcome.

Good luck!
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 14:25   #5

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

ummmm, if you are not, fluent in Spanish?....I would not count on finding a job in Miami...
Old 15-06-2015, 17:35   #6

Well, that's just silly. Speaking Spanish is not going to be a requirement in Miami anymore than it would be in Dallas. I mean, if the plan is to work in a restaurant in Little Havana then sure, but otherwise? No.

But the other comments are right on. Lots and lots of boats available in Florida. Buying one somewhere else to move here makes no sense, unless you absolutely MUST have some one particular make/model, and are quite willing to spend extra tens of thousands for it.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 20:00   #7

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Well, that's just silly. Speaking Spanish is not going to be a requirement in Miami anymore than it would be in Dallas. I mean, if the plan is to work in a restaurant in Little Havana then sure, but otherwise? No.

But the other comments are right on. Lots and lots of boats available in Florida. Buying one somewhere else to move here makes no sense, unless you absolutely MUST have some one particular make/model, and are quite willing to spend extra tens of thousands for it.

Good luck.
not only is this comment naïve...but the Dallas analogy really shows how misinformed you are....the South American population in Miami dwarfs anything anywhere else in the US....well, I'll refrain from further negatives...my daughter lived in Miami for 3 years...I visited there often.....then she lived in Ft Lauderdale for 3 years, we visited Miami some...
the fact is fully 70% of ALL jobs in Miami require Spanish... not all though....I'll put it this way..2 equal applicants...1 speaks Spanish...the other does not.. Spanish speaker gets the job....every time!
try and find work there ... then tell me who's silly, btw, my wife is Brazilian
to the op....best of luck...
Old 15-06-2015, 20:25   #8

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHAW View Post
not only is this comment naïve...but the Dallas analogy really shows how misinformed you are....the South American population in Miami dwarfs anything anywhere else in the US....well, I'll refrain from further negatives...my daughter lived in Miami for 3 years...I visited there often.....then she lived in Ft Lauderdale for 3 years, we visited Miami some...
the fact is fully 70% of ALL jobs in Miami require Spanish... not all though....I'll put it this way..2 equal applicants...1 speaks Spanish...the other does not.. Spanish speaker gets the job....every time!
try and find work there ... then tell me who's silly, btw, my wife is Brazilian
to the op....best of luck...
It really does depend on your field. In service industries, sure, Spanish is going to be preferred, but in many professional positions it isn't going to make any difference. And yes, I have lived in Miami, working with many employed people who didn't speak any Spanish.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard