Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 19:39   #16

Boat: Mac 26X
Re: Learning from "ground zero"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Rend Lake is about 2 hours away.. There is a closer lake... Lake Carlyse.. which is about 90 minutes away... Still a bit far for regular sailing... But doable...
I'll find the dates for you for the Rend Lake messabout. I have several frinds that attend, and you will NEVER find nicer people. These are small boat builders and sailors, but as I said the principle is the same.

I also know a guy who sailed a small boat on Horshoe lake. Isn't that very close by? But that was a 12 foot boat.
Old 06-04-2014, 19:53   #17

Boat: Freedom 38

OMG, if I had tried to learn how to sail by book learning, I'd still be sitting on the couch. Ditto to everyone who recommended a small boat to get out there and just do it. There are some things that are great to understand the concepts and other things you just need to put into practice.

And for what it's worth, I'm 49, but really didn't start learning to sail until about 3-4 years ago. Many people learn much later than that so age should not be an issue. The biggest factor in all this is how often you get out and sail. Competence is repetition. Just keep going through the motions. Trust me, it'll click :-)
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 20:00   #18

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
OMG, if I had tried to learn how to sail by book learning, I'd still be sitting on the couch. Ditto to everyone who recommended a small boat to get out there and just do it. There are some things that are great to understand the concepts and other things you just need to put into practice.
I don't think anyone was advocating learning how to sail by a book. The OP said she was land-locked, had the text to study, one beginning class scheduled soon, and was going to take a 7 day live-a-board 101-114 combo course in September.

She said she was having trouble remembering what she was reading and asked for suggestions. She never mentioned additional classes or buying a boat were options for her.

Obviously the more experience she can get sailing before the live-a-board course the better, but she made it sound as though her options were severely limited in that regard.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 20:12   #19

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post

I also know a guy who sailed a small boat on Horshoe lake. Isn't that very close by? But that was a 12 foot boat.
Horseshoe lake is VERY close.. about 30 minutes
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 20:15   #20

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

OMG!! I'm so excited. We have a small recreational lake right near by... and, apparently, they have a small sailing boat club! They do races every other weekend.. and are always in need of crew! So I can go out... sign up to help crew! and get some experiene! Also, if we join.. ($50 for the season) we can also use their boat storage!! Literally, this is a 5 minutes drive! I had no idea they allowed sailboats. We've kayaked there.. but have never seen sailboats!! oooooo.. now I just need to find a small boat!! Thank you so much for inspiring me to look a bit further for sailing opportunities!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 21:30   #21

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
OMG!! I'm so excited. We have a small recreational lake right near by... and, apparently, they have a small sailing boat club! They do races every other weekend.. and are always in need of crew! So I can go out... sign up to help crew! and get some experiene! Also, if we join.. ($50 for the season) we can also use their boat storage!! Literally, this is a 5 minutes drive! I had no idea they allowed sailboats. We've kayaked there.. but have never seen sailboats!! oooooo.. now I just need to find a small boat!! Thank you so much for inspiring me to look a bit further for sailing opportunities!!
Yep, this is the answer you were looking for. Post back here and let us know how you're doing. This is going to be great. I can hear it clicking into place now.....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 21:32   #22

Scarlet

When you are studying for the exam:

1) Look at the ashore knowledge - that is the exam
2) The first part of the 101 exam is terminology
3) Draw and picture of a boat and label it
4) The second part is parts of sails
5) Draw a mainsail and a foresail and label the parts

Continue through the each standard, making notes.

I teach ASA as well as some other standards, I have to get 90% on the exams. That is how I study. My last exam was the catamaran instructor's exam a month ago.

The standards are here: Advanced Sail Training Courses - Endorsements from American Sailing Association

For Colregs: Navigation Rules Online
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 21:36   #23

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
For quick and dirty sailable boats (I'm talking small boats) hit ebay and Craig's list. Most any day there are dozens for $500 or less. If you're adventurous and have some tools, also consider making one. It's NOT that hard and you'll really get an understanding. But it's not the "normal" way and isn't for everyone. look here for ideas:
Jim Michalak's Boat Plans

Tags
learning