Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2014, 10:00   #91
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Last pictures of Primadonna

I read it all.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:02   #92

Boat: porta bote

And she is U.S. flagged in the last pics.
Could mean good and plentiful loot

Martin
Old 13-04-2014, 10:03   #93

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
How many here didn't even read the whole blog post and are just spewing crap because that's what the do here?
Blog post??? Oh Crap!
Old 13-04-2014, 10:05   #94

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ View Post
And she is U.S. flagged in the last pics.
Could mean good and plentiful loot

Martin
One more thing Pascal did wrong. Unless laws have changed overnight, I believe you can classify that as sailing under false colors. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-04-2014, 10:06   #95
cruiser

Or it was a courtesy flag and they were Waaaaay off course.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:09   #96

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Or it was a courtesy flag and they were Waaaaay off course.
Lol. Juuuust a bit outside. In all seriousness though, if its a courtesy flag, what's it doing flying from the stern?

Old 13-04-2014, 10:11   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Lol. Juuuust a bit outside. In all seriousness though, if its a courtesy flag, what's it doing flying from the stern?

Anti-establishment
Old 13-04-2014, 10:17   #98
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
Blog post??? Oh Crap!

You lost me.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:36   #99

Quote:
How many here didn't even read the whole blog post and are just spewing crap because that's what the do here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
Blog post??? Oh Crap!
Probably directed at me.

Sorry, I thought I read "several months". re-reading more carefully...

…Then in January came reports from Booby Cay in the Bahamas that the boat ended up on a reef there.

So, not several months. My bad, sorry. But at least 3. You'd think that should be enough time for someone to assert jurisdiction. But not as clear-cut as "several" which is what I assumed.
Old 13-04-2014, 11:09   #100
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

I read it. I especially liked the part where the fishing guys gave them permission to go steal stuff off the boat.
Old 13-04-2014, 11:51   #101
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I read it. I especially liked the part where the fishing guys gave them permission to go steal stuff off the boat.

Recycle, not steal. Thanks.
Old 13-04-2014, 12:28   #102

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
He didn't by anything from Pat, it wasn't a check for boat parts. It was just a regular con job and Pat happens to work at the chandlery.
I also recall many of the crowd here busting nomadik's balls about having no experience and wanting to sail away with his family. He's pretty anti establishment, and that's generally ridiculed here, not really surprising. But now he's out there doing it.
Yeah I read it all. Funny, the cops in NC didn't come to the same conclusion. Seems you have a consistently unique view of law and justice

I have absolutely no issue with nomadik's choice to sail off regardless of his experience. I also have no issue whatsoever with dumpster divers or people who live on the fringes of society. What I have a real problem with is when people justify theft. And make no mistake, this wasn't stealing food from the rich, this was pillaging someone else's home. If he had any idea of the history of Primadonna (and he may well have since it has been widely documented) he would know that that boat was all Pascal had in the world. None of this is to defend Pascal (who it seems acted with little character, and possibly worse, himself in Oriental). It seems to be you are really intent on glamorizing a simple thief (as Nomadik himself was) and that is very dangerous for our community.
Old 13-04-2014, 12:44   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
But where does the line get drawn? Is there any clear time limit as to when a grounding becomes a wreck . . . becomes wreckage scattered on the sea bottom?
In my mind, it would become a 'wreck' when the hull can no longer practically be made watertight and it is beyond hope of salvage whole. In that case, 'breaking' the wreck would be appropriate - after reasonable attempts to contact the owner. The property would still remain theirs, and it would be up to you to negotiate a sale or salvage price if they do contact you.

In this case, not only can the vessel still be salvaged, but it is still watertight and dry, and in all appearances perfectly seaworthy. It is no different from any of our boats aground, except that the owners have been forced off the boat and deported against their will. Whether you're trying to follow the law or just being a nice person, at least leaving the boat intact - or having it towed off the reef by a passing powerboat if you have the time and money - is clearly the proper thing to do. The boat was someone's home and they were forced off it so quickly that they even left their wallet and phone. Maybe they weren't that great a couple, but they had had a hell of a time by all accounts with his pension from France being cut off and being forced on peoples charity. People got annoyed that their boat was an eyesore in their pretty harbour and bullied them out to sea. Finally, they run aground only to be deported by local authorities back to France. When someone finds their boat in a seaworthy state, they decide to strip it rather than tow it to a safe port where it could be sold or reboarded by the couple. How can we be arguing about whether this is right or wrong?!

However, this difference of opinion is almost worthy of a 'salvage' poll... that could be interesting!
Old 13-04-2014, 13:06   #104

Lets blow this thing wide open! Let the games begin...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-124393.html
Old 13-04-2014, 14:33   #105

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

I'm pretty much with 'europaflyer' and 'goboatingnow/dave' here, this plundering by Nomadik is just plain theft.

And I'd like to point out a curious fact:
Given the general reputation (from reading here mostly) of Bahamians having fairly light fingers, when given an opportunity, that:
Isn't it rather curious that this boat, after being stranded in an exposed position for a reasonable amount of time now, was still in an almost untouched state?
Personal items (very), such as a wallet, purse, clothing, working cell phone, etc., still aboard, intact. None of the locals having taken much, if anything (or other possible visitors)?

Almost like maybe the local Bahamian authorities had put the word out that this boat and contents were to be left alone, or else?
Closed Thread