Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2015, 15:59   #16

Re: Landlocked Boat ==>> Shipping

I spent 2 hours today trying to find some posts on getting the Sabre out of Rochester. I came up with the Hudson (which may have silt problems in areas) and I looked at the Erie canal, but I was not sure if it was navigable all the way.
Let me redirect you to my thread is Dollar and Cents that I posted a while back.

Here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-145807.html

In a nutshell, I would like to get a boat and go sailing for at least a year. I am willing to spend my budget to see if it's what I would like to do more of, or make a change in lifestyle. There is a possibility of when I return to work going on a rotation of 21 days on/9 off. This means I can live anywhere as they will pay for my flights to and from. If I decide I want more sailing, I get a slip and after a year of work buy the boat I really want. I can sell the current boat and purchase something better with payments.

I have been looking at boats in S FLA and in the Caribbean daily. Boats from up north seem to be day sailors, no solar/wind/tankage. While whats in the Carrib seem to be benne, bav's, Hunter, etc...which in turn are geared towards charters and not built well. Then we have florida with boats all over and none of what I just want or I am.....scared that if I purchase too high it will drain the kitty too much. I would like to be sailing for under 50k.

This is why I have started looking in other places, thinking the market would be better with less tire kickers. Which leaves me getting the boat to the atlantic somewhere. Then I can go down the ICW to florida and practice day sailing until season gets here.
I live in Oklahoma so putting the boat in anywhere in the ICW would work.

What would you guys be looking for with my budget ? Am I approaching this wrong ?

From what I can see, my buyin should be around 35k, this leaves me enough for a refit and plenty of cash left over for cruising for 2 years if I like it. The boats in my price range are Endeavor, Tartan, Sabre, Cs, a small IP, and off brand boats. I have considered buying a Benne and doing some adds for liveaboard and just dealing with smaller holding tanks and no solar, etc since this is not a long term boat. I just like to be self sufficient. Lastly, I do not want to feel too cramped on the first boat. I figure 35ish would do well for me.
Islandnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 16:12   #17

21 on 9 off? You sound like a professional seaman of some sort.

With that schedule you should be able to do some chartering before you spend you're hard earned doe.

Have you considered chartering before buying?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 16:20   #18

"What would you guys be looking for with my budget ? Am I approaching this wrong ?

From what I can see, my buyin should be around 35k, this leaves me enough for a
refit and plenty of cash left over for cruising for 2 years if I like it. The boats in my price range are Endeavor, Tartan, Sabre, Cs, a small IP, and off brand boats. I have considered buying a Benne and doing some adds for liveaboard and just dealing with smaller holding tanks and no solar, etc since this is not a long term boat. I just like to be self sufficient. Lastly, I do not want to feel too cramped on the first boat. I figure 35ish would do well for me. "

Just thinking out loud, For resale maybe an IP makes sense. Or the Bene. You might get a Cape Dory too.
Also, Be careful about assuming a boat with a big list of cruising equipment has equipment that actually works well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 16:24   #19

I'm a completion engineer in the oilfield. In other words I perforate horizontal wells on frac locations.

I am jobless, I quit 3 months ago and need a long vacation. Think of me as a workaholic . Now I have lots of time.

I just signed up for Swains fasttrack course which takes place next month. I am stoked !!
Islandnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 16:33   #20

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandnut View Post
I spent 2 hours today trying to find some posts on getting the Sabre out of Rochester. I came up with the Hudson (which may have silt problems in areas) and I looked at the Erie canal, but I was not sure if it was navigable all the way.
Yes, the Erie is navigable. "Google Erie Canal."

Lake Lanier to the Georgia Coast is not an outrageous trucking cost either.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 17:18   #21

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
So in my search for my first boat, I have come across two boats. One is located in Rochester, NY and the other is located in Lake Lanier, Georgia.

First is an Endeavor 33 that looks much better than any other one I have seen so far. Lot's of refit just done to the boat last year.

Second is a Sabre 34 that could use a bit of work, but I think it's very close.

How much does it normally cost to ship it to water ? I have looked and over land trucking is about 3.5 per mile, then I assume it would cost about 2 boat bucks to unstep/restep mast ???

While the Georgia boat is close to water already, is it worth trying to ship it ?

The Sabre would seem like a nightmare to get to NYC, but I know its the better boat.

I search daily for the "one", but I can't seem to find one that fits the budget or will more than likely need to much work.
$4 a mile is a typical trucking cost for longer runs.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 03:38   #22

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I haven't had a quote for less than $9.00/mile for my 38 ft 32000 lbs Globe which is under 12 ft beam and less than 14 ft tall.
Old 16-06-2015, 08:05   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Leslie Transport : Prof. Full Service Sailboat Transport

Suggest you call these folks and get a quote.
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 08:17   #24

Boat: Island Packet 35

Having moved a few, I can tell you the average is $3-5 per loaded mile and around $1,000 each side to have a yard de/commision (haul, load, de-rig and ready for travel, unload, re-rig, launch...)

You can find some great movers like US Boat Haulers who will handle all the logistics for you on both ends.

You can get an idea of the cost by putting the specific boat on UShip for a quote, but be careful as a lot of quotes come from brokers who then upcharge after the auction.

If you have not done it before, I would give Ernst a call at US Boat Haulers and look at their website for a checklist.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 08:32   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

SHOALING in the HUDSON?
Good lord, tankers & freighters make it up to Albany, I should hope you could avoid hitting the edges if they can.
Dunno about "anywhere in the ICW" though. It doesn't matter what you buy or where you buy it, you MUST expect to be there when the boat is loaded (arrive the day before, prepare to stay over a day if they're late) and when it is unloaded, to sign off for any loading damages. Then you have to figure, once you've bought the boat, even a new boat, you'll need at least 34 hours, preferably 48, for a shakedown and thorough inspection, and very possibly two weeks "where is, as is" to do prep work on the boat before taking it off for delivery someplace--even on the ICW.
It may need new rigging, or engine work, or electrics, and if you need a small gewgaw that isn't immediately in stock and can't be fedexed to you overnight...Two weeks is not overly pessimistic, some folks would call it a rush job to get a used boat in shape that quickly.

On the ICW itself, you have to figure you'd be motoring at about 5 knots, ten hours a day (zzzz)...fifty miles a day can take a while to get you places, and it costs money every mile. And night.

On a brighter note, the Erie Canal was transferred to the NYS Thruway Authority some years ago. They have an office, sometimes they answer the phone and emails, they'll even send you charts and brochures by mail if you ask them to.

The alternative is, just buy a boat where you plan to sail it. That's the only way to really simplify all the logistics and just go to work on the boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 09:05   #26
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

On the ICW itself, you have to figure you'd be motoring at about 5 knots, ten hours a day (zzzz)...fifty miles a day can take a while to get you places, and it costs money every mile. And night.
My 34' cruises at 6.8 kn; and the Sabre at least, should be comparable.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 09:27   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You can cruise at 6.8, but factor in currents, fuel conservation, bottom may not be clean, and if there are bridge openings to be timed...can't always assume that you'll be able to average your best cruising speed all day, every day. Lunch breaks, chart breaks, inconvenient location of next berth or anchorage...all adds up.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 14:18   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm in Kingston ONT, not far from Rochester, on Lake Ontario.

I had a look at the Sabre ad...the sabre 34 in rochester NY.
Sounds like a great boat, ready to go. I don't see what else you could want.
Interesting though...the ad does not specify the make of engine...thats kind of a big deal. Are they trying to hide an atomic 4?

Also, CNG stove/oven. Around here, CNG is amost impossible to get. I dunno about the american side. I had a CNG stove on a previous boat...a serious hassle here.

As for getting it home, you are in luck...its not hard, and an easy trip. I'm not sure if you can join the Oswego canal at rochester, but it certainly starts at nearby Oswego. I suggest you pull the mast, and secure on deck while at rochester, motor to oswego, and enter the canal. The oswego canal joins with the erie canal. You would be at Albany NY in a week (or less). At Albany you put the stick up, and enjoy an easy cruise down the Hudson river to NYC. I would allocate 2 weeks for the whole trip. Also, you will be in protected waterways with plenty of marinas and anchorages along the whole way...no worries, no big waves, and lots to see... you would have a great trip on your new boat.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 14:25   #29

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
I'm a completion engineer in the oilfield. In other words I perforate horizontal wells on frac locations.

I am jobless, I quit 3 months ago and need a long vacation. Think of me as a workaholic . Now I have lots of time.

I just signed up for Swains fasttrack course which takes place next month. I am stoked !!
In that case, get the sabre 34 in rochester...and head to the 1000 islands (east end of lake ontario). Wonderful cruising area...fresh water, lots of scenic anchorages and quaint towns. When you tire of that, head to oswego and pull the mast. The oswego canal takes you to the erie canal which takes you to the hudson river. This is the migration route for all the boats heading south from lake ontario every fall.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shipping