Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-05-2015, 10:54   #1

First Decision....First Boat

First of all I would like to say I have been reading for a few weeks on the forums. Filling my poor little head with what to do with myself.
I am currently unemployed, by my own decision. I needed a break from the 100+ hour weeks for a while. I have taken the last month and a half off to get rested up and somehow started looking at sailboats....hhhmmm....looks like it would be fun for a while.
First off I have no sailing experience other than a sunfish. I guess you guys have not heard that one before hehe !! So I know all of you know what's coming now. I would ask where to start, as to which boat to buy, in terms of cost/upgrades. I have been on Yatchworld quite a bit and sailboat listings trying to figure out what makes a good boat, where the boat is in terms of condition, and trying to figure out what I should be looking for in terms of my budget.
This is why I posted in this section of the forums. While it certainly is doable if anyone has deep enough pockets. My Kitty has a finite amount.

As I will need to go back to work, I am trying to look at this as a long vacation. I seem to work all the time and do not really have much of a personal life, which is passing away each day. I'm ready to go have some fun for a bit and see if I even like the cruising thing. I love boats BTW.

My goals are to purchase a boat and sail down to Grenada and back. This would take and entire year, or maybe two if I can manage to make that "good" purchase. I will not be crossing the ocean just island hopping.
Before we get much farther into this, I have read hundreds of posts on boats and costs and how much experience do I have. I am sitting at ground zero currently and know some of the things I must get going to achieve this goal. I no longer want to let life just pass by and not live a few of my dreams. you could say I have finally learned that buying toys and getting bored with them has run its course. Living life and capturing memories is much more important. I do believe sailing would be a good choice for me. I want to live the lifestyle for a bit, then I can decide whether to make a life change to this.

For a bit more detail about "me" in this whole endeavor go as follows:
I am single, male, 43, no kids, oilfield worker, and only a jeep payment that I actually have equity in as far a debt goes. What I have in terms of my budget it's 100k cash.

I have been trying to weigh my options as to either charter a boat for ASA for the week long course and maybe a few times more to get some sailing in, which will lead to a boat purchase or just travel from one country to another for a while i.e. flying to a destination and hanging out. The sailing to a new place to hang out sounds like an adventure worth memories for a lifetime, while flying all over the world would get old really quick. I would be looking at all the boats on the water saying "I wish that was my boat, sailing the seas, with no agenda". Well, maybe where the next cold beer is at. The first thing on the list to do is to get a passport and decide where I want to take the week long course at. Realizing this is something to do later on in the year as hurricane season is approaching I have more than a few months to get a game plan together. The ASA course out of the BVI is sounding pretty good atm.

If I decide to purchase a boat, what dollar amount should I be trying to budget for ? From what I am understanding many have said be ready to allow 50% of the purchase price to make her seaworthy. So a 30k boat will end up with refit for travel is going to be about 45k. This leaves about half of my pot left for travel/breakages. The boats in this price range all seem to need work done for various reasons, and finding what I want is never perfect.
In the classifieds here, there is a boat called vagabundo which is a 31 footer that seems a little campy to me, and is coming home after 4 years on the water. I almost want to go buy it for the price and I know I can upgrade her a bit. The only thing is he seemed to want to just sell it without a survey, which I do not like.

Then there are the Endeavor boats, tons of them around priced well, but no one has that many good things to say about them. They don't sail that well, it's a brick, low quality etc. There is a 35' boat on Yatchworld for $28,000 that says buy me, but then I read reviews and they are not so good. I am also looking at tankage, when you get to 31' they do not have much for travel. But are easier to sail single handed.
I would love to get an island packet, but price hits pretty hard for most of these in better shape, while I do not consider them appealing to as to compare to others, I see what a good boat they are.

My head is a mess atm and I would like a bit of input some that are hopefully more wise than I am. Should I move up in price range or buy something to spend the next few months refitting while waiting for season to get here? I can daysail and find a part time job to help with expenses while doing this also.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:01   #2

Re: First Decision....First Boat

... how about looking to crew? You will learn a lot and could go immediately ...

And if you don't like it for some reason just fly back ...

Carsten

Old 07-05-2015, 11:25   #3

I have thought about this option, but I am not sure how much waiting around I would have to do for someone to pick me as I have no exp. My ad would read: Adult no exp, wants to sail.

Capt would say NO, He is just gonna get sea sick.

I will say that I live in Oklahoma where there is nothing less than 2.5 hours away to get to the closest marina in Oklahoma City. I can say that I do not get seasick, or have ever been while on the ocean. Even is Isla Mujueres on the dive boat when were in 7 foot seas I would guess, I found it to be exhilarating, also while deep sea fishing for over 24 hrs. First timers get a bit of it I guess. I would be willing to fly anywhere with a few days notice for a sail though, on my dime, at not cost to the boat. Just need a passport. Not to change the intent of this thread, but if any of you are willing to consider me, do it thru pm please.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:53   #4

... I would take you on a trip with the comments you made (although I have nothing to offer right now) ...

For a captain the risk to take you (lets say on a trip in the Caribbean) is small. If all fails you leave the boat on the next island. Things could also be terrible if I as a captain choose that great sailor who turns out to be a bad a$%.

I would put an add here Crew Positions: Wanted & Available - Cruisers & Sailing Forums for sure, maybe also browse other places like findacrew.net or similar to get a flavor what is possible.

Wish you good luck!

Carsten
Old 07-05-2015, 20:30   #5

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Think about buying a boat that is already down in the Eastern Caribbean or Grenada. Why? Coming down from Florida, while a great experience, has a much greater level of difficulty than island hopping.
Why not have the fun part right away?

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 09-05-2015, 12:48   #6

Boat: Boatless

I hope to be in the same position as you in a few years. I was going to be headed to Texas and try getting a driving job on the oil rigs. Odessa has somewhat dried up, so I am putting that off for a year.

Spoke with a friend over lunch about three weeks ago. She met a guy from Illinois I think who bought a 27' Hunter, and just walked away from it all. Met in Marathon,FL, then again in the Berry Islands in the Bahamas. He's going to sail until the money runs out. From the research I've done and threads I've read, if you're just island hopping the Caribbean you don't need a huge boat. Lizzy Belle is a 28' Hinterholler and she's been all over the Caribbean. Atom is a 28' Pearson, and James sailed her from Fort Lauderdale to China and back...I think twice.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:54   #7

Boat: Boatless

Check out David and Lizzy Belle

twentyeightfeet

Also Alex Dorsey

The Minimalist Sailor | Brought to you by Project BlueSphere

When you're on YouTube, Nike Steiger over at White Spot Pirates

That'll keep you busy for at least an afternoon.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:15   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Islandnut.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 16:21   #9

As for buying a boat already there.....refitting seems it would be more problematic than to do it stateside ??
I would be in unknown territory and have to figure it all out. I do not understand why it would be harder leaving from S Florida. There does look like there is a couple of long stretches or overnights to do tho. Also I could take lessons while in Ft Myers and refit. I used to live there.

As for "just do it" this speaks volumes to me, in such a way that I know if I do not get the ball rolling in the next couple of months it will not happen. Can't say how many posts I have read on that subject.

Already watched 28 feet, good vid, but I do not want to "camp" that much.

So what about this boat ? Seems like it still needs work done to it, but it has good reviews, but it's registered in the Netherlands.

1982 Hinterhoeller Niagara 35 sailboat for sale in Outside United States

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: