Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 12:41   #76

Re: I've gone and done it now

Stay safe, have a great time, and post plenty of pics!!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:59   #77

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Sounds like you've covered the prudent stuff and are well on the side of safety. You might give some thought to starting immediately with the habit of keeping a comprehensive and precise logbook. Also a deliberate approach to photo-documentation, besides the fun/sharing snapshots.

I know it is the 11th hour, and you and your wife have probably already planned for it, but a small gift for each crew member (hat/t-shirt..., with the boat's name) could be appropriate.

Bon voyage.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 14:19   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
and " Admiral's first trip is a big first impression.."

Believe me, it took 4 years for me to get my wife to love the boat after her sailing on it when it was rough. Save your self some grief- do the hard work with your professional, and let her on when all the survey stuff is done and you need to decide what soap to use...
I think I was misquoted here and I want to clear my name. My advice was to get the boat shipshape- when all that needed to be done in order to go sailing was minor details (like which soap to use) before letting his wife on to go sailing. That way everyone gets a great positive view of the boat. That way people (all people) get a positive view of the boat before they help you with the clogged head or the bilge.
I still believe that is good advice BTW.
Now if you guys believe the best way to introduce your loved one to the wonders of sailing is to make them hand you a wrench while you are elbow deep in someone's poop in a swell- well you have more substantial family than I have. Mine just want to get off the boat and not come back.
So I do all the prep, and my family has tons of fun. And now a few years later they are showing up on their own to help with maintenance. They love sailing and love the boat. I like it better that way.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 14:21   #79

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post

You might give some thought to starting immediately with the habit of keeping a comprehensive and precise logbook. Also a deliberate approach to photo-documentation, besides the fun/sharing snapshots.

Both very good points. FWIW, I've found Excel suits very well for a maintenance and service log. Separate worksheet for major systems (engines, genset, plumbing, ACs, etc etc etc).

And I've got about a thousand pics, so far. Every system I've touched, every project I've done, every fix I've survived, etc. I find the pics really help.

Along with softcopy of all the individual system or component manuals.

-Chris
Old 01-04-2014, 16:07   #80

Boat: Freedom 38

Because you might be a little short on extra crew and you're new boat owners, here's a bit of advice from when I did my delivery...no matter what time of day/night it is, when you're off your shift, lay down and try to sleep. Bring ear plugs and eye covering to block out the light. Don't putter around and not get rested. This will be especially hard the first day or two when you're both amped up. I was super-adrenaline charged on the day of our departure, which was at 7pm, then didn't get to sleep until close to 6 am. I never got caught up on the sleep deprivation and was really loopy the second day. Take seriously your off-shift times. It sounds like you and your wife are going to have a blast !!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 16:09   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Newt, your right of course. I'd much rather ease her into it, you know a nice moonlit cruise to a nice restraunt to eat or whatever. At this point it is what it is, like the boat shirts, not enough time for that either. Hopefully I'm not going to blow it, hopefully it won't be that bad, Wx wise this ought to be the time of year to do it, not yet too hot, I hope, but not too cold either, I hope, all I can do is hope
I've still got a bunch to do, like pack everything, register the EPIRB that won't arrive until the day before we leave etc.
Yes, I'd love to wait another week, but where she is is, is expensive and the wife has next week off, not any other
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 16:14   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Because you might be a little short on extra crew and you're new boat owners, here's a bit of advice from when I did my delivery...no matter what time of day/night it is, when you're off your shift, lay down and try to sleep. Bring ear plugs and eye covering to block out the light. Don't putter around and not get rested. This will be especially hard the first day or two when you're both amped up. I was super-adrenaline charged on the day of our departure, which was at 7pm, then didn't get to sleep until close to 6 am. I never got caught up on the sleep deprivation and was really loopy the second day. Take seriously your off-shift times. It sounds like you and your wife are going to have a blast !!

Thanks, I'm thinking it will be a lot like guard duty was way back in the day when I used to pull that.
The wife, now she can sleep, never seen anything like it, she can sleep 14 hours, and go to bed at the regular time and sleep through the night.
Old 01-04-2014, 21:10   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Good Luck A64. I hope you have a good passage. If you do have to anchor out in say Tampa you can always go back when you have a few days and finish the job.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:37   #84

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Great advice! I run a strict watch schedule at night but during the day I encourage each crew member to take a nap whenever their body tells them it's time or even might be time. Napping is like putting money in the bank for the whole crew because it allows you to be more alert and less prone to make mistakes that could cause problems for everyone during those long night watches. So if you're yawning during your daytime watch, and as long as there is someone else willing to stay awake and take over your watch, do the whole crew a favor and go below for a little snooze. Of course everybody can't nap at once but I find that it all works out pretty well and there's always somebody who's feeling alert at the helm.

Have fun and good luck!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:37   #85

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

First off congratulations! The first sailboat is a big step and it sounds like you choose a nice one. Enjoy your trip and of course stay safe. As to the champange, we usually use Miller Highlife. It's the champange of beers after all. That and I feel that neptune being a man of the sea and all is alot more apt to drink beer and rum than champange!

I hope all goes well, sounds like you've at least thought it out well. The dinghy onboard will be best for your in "hull ass" mode to get home. It'll give you a little extra speed and you won't be worrying about the painter breaking. An outboard would be nice too of course but not a must have for this trip.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:44   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've gone and done it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Good Luck A64. I hope you have a good passage. If you do have to anchor out in say Tampa you can always go back when you have a few days and finish the job.

Tampa St Pete has been the back up plan. By that time I assume I would have learned enough to her her home without professional help. You never know about these things I may not get very far at all. Something mechanical may happen and put an early end to it. I hope no of course but am mentally prepared for this to be a bust. I'll measure success by if I don't get anyone hurt and haven't soured the wife on sailing
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49   #87

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Plan for the worst; hope for the best. Sounds like you've got it covered.

How long was the boat laid up before you bought her? If it's the one I saw on line she looked very well cared for so hopefully any mechanical issues will be minor & those you've planned for. Regardless, I hope you and your wife are able to enjoy a good trip free of serious problems.

Fair winds ... and post pics & updates!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PO bought her three years ago and I think she has sat since then. Now how Long did she sit before he bought her? I have no idea. It's normal of course for boats to sit for sometimes long periods before the owner finally brings themselves to sell. Not always the case but often is.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01   #89

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...I'll measure success by if I don't get anyone hurt and haven't soured the wife on sailing
It is considered a successful trip if you arrive with everybody you left with.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 17:13   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Made a little over 80 NM day one. Had engine troubles in first three hours. Engine would intermittently sag to 1200 RPM for 30 sec or so and then pick back up. Thought it was lift pump as filters were clean but ended up being fuel line blockage in the fuel shut off valve and dip tube. Obstruction looked like saw dust but felt like plumbers putty. Ran fine for next nine hours or so though