Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 18:54   #31

Re: is the MOB pole obsolete?

Most underestimate how easy it is to lose someone even in light seas - we heard this over and over in the Coast Guard. You need something visual to help keep track of them. This is interesting as it's pretty simple and you can toss it to where they are.

Inflatable Overboard Pole
PLASTIMO Inflatable Overboard Pole at West Marine
HeartsContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 19:04   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
Most underestimate how easy it is to lose someone even in light seas - we heard this over and over in the Coast Guard. You need something visual to help keep track of them. This is interesting as it's pretty simple and you can toss it to where they are.

I like the idea of the reflective tape. Thanks! I'll be adding that to my 20 YO pole.
Old 21-01-2013, 00:27   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

We have an orange horseshoe buoy on Boracay. Clips onto the rail. Quick release with a rope on a cleat.

On a very busy crowded part of the boat it does not get in the way, unlike a Dan Buoy.

Maybe not as good at marking a position but if I were to be in the water for more than a few minutes I'd prefer the horseshoe.

Offshore we wear lifejackets and clip ourselves on. Where I worry about is more like a situation where we have a few drinks at anchor and a poor swimmer goes overboard.

NSW Maritime does not require Dan Buoys, and no longer requires liferings/horseshoe buoys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horseshoe Buoy.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	53255  
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 01:02   #34

Boat: Lagoon 440

AYF rules in Australia are that the horseshoe is connected to the danbouy it can all be deployed in a minute good for everyone except single handers!
Old 21-01-2013, 01:04   #35
CFR

The Pole is nice to have but who should throw it ? we are only 2 onboard and i am 100% sure if one is falling the other one is sleeping or down in the boat. even if we are both on deck we have a center cockpit and i do not want to leave the cockpit walk to the stern and lossing 1 minute to throw the pole, better immidatly hit the MOB button on the GPS, stop/turn the boat, start the engine and reduce sail while turning. i would consider throwing the epirb overboard because it is near the helm, easy to thro and mon over board is a situation where the epirb should/can be used.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 06:25   #36

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post

That looks pretty useful and priced better than a MOM8.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:32   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
AYF rules in Australia are that the horseshoe is connected to the danbouy it can all be deployed in a minute good for everyone except single handers!
1 minute helm to launch and back to proper steering for a newly minted singlehander in bad conditions (maybe a wild gybe or a rough wave) is optimistic, at best. At 8kts the 1 min will put you 810 feet away or 2.7 American football fields - almost 250 meters. That is a long way to before starting your turn back.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:45   #38

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

We have a MOB pole with 50' of yellow nylon rope going to a horseshoe buoy and a strobe. Throw the pole or the buoy and the whole mess comes off of the boat. The 50' is so that the MOB has something to grab.
The strobe came with the boat, the horseshoe buoy came out of the trash, I bought the mount for $5.00, and a singlehander gave me the MOB pole. Singlehanders don't need a MOB pole.
We also have a MOB button on our GPS and our ipad nav program.
All this goes with life vests w/ strobes & whistles, jacklines & lifelines.
Sorry, we don't have $600.00 for 3 plb's.
Old 21-01-2013, 09:04   #39

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I like this idea from Switlik, the MOM 9. Now if it only came with the electrolyte refresher six-pack and iPod tune package... Rescue crew pulls a lanyard to deploy. MOB victim climbs into raft, inserts headphones, pulls ring tab on seawater temperature brew, settles back to enjoy the rest of the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switlik-mom-600-man-overboard.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	53264  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:26   #40
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I recently installed a MOM-9. Just pull the pin to blow it. Much better than a pole. Getting the MO out of the water and into a raft will dramatically increase survivability. Worth every penny, especially on a boat which has children aboard like mine. Bought it right here on CF classifieds.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I recently installed a MOM-9. Just pull the pin to blow it. Much better than a pole. Getting the MO out of the water and into a raft will dramatically increase survivability. Worth every penny, especially on a boat which has children aboard like mine. Bought it right here on CF classifieds.
I like the MOM8 and 9s. The thing I don't like about them is the annual inspection that is supposed to occur in a life-raft inspection shop.If they would package these with a 3 year inspection like most life-rafts, I think I'd buy one. I did have a MOM8 on my last boat.
Old 21-01-2013, 10:30   #42
cruiser

How far are we from a magical/electronic band that clips to each crew's PFD and screams "here I am! Here I am!" to the AIS-plotter-radar system?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 10:40   #43
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
How far are we from a magical/electronic band that clips to each crew's PFD and screams "here I am! Here I am!" to the AIS-plotter-radar system?
Not far at all. My dogs e-collar has a directional finder, maybe install one on each crew member? Then you can zap them when they misbehave too!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 13:43   #44

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Here ya go! If'n ya got the $$$$>>>> SafeLink R10
Old 22-01-2013, 02:31   #45

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Yes. Now, if only someone can come up with one that has an LED strobe, an AIS transmitter, and a waterproof sound system with refreshments to reduce anxiety awaiting rescue.
I saw a McMurdo product at the Toronto boat show on the weekend that looked like a wearable AIS beacon.

It resembled this: Smartfind S5 AIS SART - McMurdo Marine | EPIRB | PLB | AIS Beacon | AIS Electronics | VHF Radio | NAVTEX

but it looked light enough to wear on a PFD. This is a rapidly changing field with a lot of overlap, however: if you fall off at night, do you want a proximity to boat sensor that wakes the crew, an AIS SART that makes you visible to an AIS (but only within line of sight), a danbuoy with AIS or some transceiver that is six feet higher and lit, or a PLB that allows SAR personnel to find you, assuming the vest stays inflated and the sharks distant?

What if you are solo? I've heard fanciful talk of using the new Garmin Quatix "watch" to steer the boat to you...good luck if you were under power at the time!

I don't think there is any one answer. If you fall off in the middle of the ocean, the flyboys aren't coming. You are, if with other crew, wanting to be hauled back aboard. A danbuoy, if you've lashed on to one or can swim to it, gives light, buoyancy and something to cling to. I tend to laugh at the idea of a moonless, windy night at sea being defeated by a tiny LED at sea level...you spend much of your time out of sight behind swells, and it is not always obvious where to look. A danbuoy is a cheap, effective way to increase your chances. Of course, so is a tether.

Being interested (as apparently are most sailors) in improved safety at sea, I've discussed some MOB gear issues in my blog here:
The world encompassed: The realities of self-rescue on a sailboat

and more recently, here: http://alchemy2009.blogspot.ca/2012/02/self-rescue-more-reality-checking.html

My time spent offshore is limited compared to some, and my thoughts are evolving, so I welcome "real life" input to aid my learning.

But, no, the MOB pole is not, in my view, obsolete. As we saw from the recent grounding of the U.S. Navy minesweeper, maybe the lead line isn't, either.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob