Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 07:32   #46

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i just got back from cruising a near year in gulf of mexico. i didnt run into any limit on my one per day fish catching nor did i find the lack of brand new marinas a problem. we found an old one with no fees for docking. there are nice fuel docks at properly spaced intervals. we sailed from slidell, la to dry tortugas and back 3 times and enjoyed so much i am trying to get my own boat there. we made it to tortugas one of the three times sailing ...ENJOYED the entire area for the year i was there--didnt find the problems if which you write anywhere.
we did find lightning and thunder and awesome friendly folks with good times and fun-- hard work in storms sailing, but is excellent experience.
all in all--i LOVED the gulf and will go back in a heartbeat.
I'm glad you had a good time, just be aware of these limits if you fish.

Amberjack, Greater 1
Cobia 2
Drum, red 3
Gar, alligator 1
Grouper, gag 2
Grouper, goliath (formerly called Jewfish) 0 Catch and release only
Mackerel, king 2
Sharks
Atlantic sharpnose, blacktip, bonnethead 1
prohibited species h 0 Catch and release only
Snapper, red 2 (edited from TPWD)
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:50   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Instead of Economics, perhaps it is just Freedom that is “on the Decline” and it manifests itself in various ways… on and off the water.

For the first time in many years, instead of a sailing holiday, I took a 3 week, full on, first class “tourist” holiday to some exotic locations full of promises and marketing hype.

Mostly to let my girlfriend experience that standard and type of travel.

From Airport security to the artificial environment of 5 Star hotels, I felt less a person and more a commodity to be politely managed and manipulated.

While my girlfriend enjoyed this new experience, we both agreed that Stargazer offers far more natural locations, value, pleasure, freedom, and low key interaction with locals, than the best organized tour we could find on the market.

She much preferred the freedom of going by our own boat.

When I explained that our 3 week cost for transport, hotels, meals and tourist traps represented the new water maker we want and about 4 months of cruising consumables, she laughed and told me what an idiot I was to agree to this trip.

No argument from me and if it has helped her to fully embrace cruising 3rd world locations, it was a good investment!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:01   #48

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i tellye--is a real BEAR trying to find decent male cruising partner for a formosa 41 ketch and, me, a baby boomer female---too bad kat(feline, as opposed to 2 hulls or rig type) cant steer when he is on watch.....sailing off into sunset/sunrise isnt quite the "thing" whenye are solo...except for the awesome beauty we are gifted ...
i presume it would be funner to share this with somene, especially someone special
<sigh> WHY, Di I have to be tied down?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:04   #49

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day All,

Our observation is that cruisers are indeed shunning Australia. The biggest single factor we've heard is the extortionate fees charged by AQIS. As of this past week, the fee for their "services" if you arrive in the period of 8 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday is AUD 330. For all other times it is a cool 600!! In most ports of entry it is not an option to anchor in quarantine and await the lower cost times. This fee is for an inspection that may take as little as 30 minutes. (It is interesting to note that in Oz the minimum wage is $569 per week, and that for budget cruisers it represents around a months expense).

The current obsession with termites can add significantly to these costs. The inspection by trained sniffer dog costs upwards of 1000 dollars, and mitigation if termites are discovered can go to astronomical heights -- tens of thousands of dollars. As noted above, this new ruling applies to all vessels that they regard as "high risk" (meaning that it has wood somewhere in it's structure or furniture), regardless of their national origin, if they have been in what they consider risky areas for over three months. These risky areas include essentially all the Pacific Islands.

It is also interesting to note that other countries manage to conduct quarantine inspections for little or no cost to the cruiser. This includes the neighboring nation of New Zealand, who also have strict quarantine rules and an even "greener" reputation than Australia.

Ann and I have been in and out of Australia nearly every year since 1992. We clearly like it here ... but are reconsidering our cruising and potential residence options for the future. To us it is not at all surprising that our fellow cruisers are avoiding this country. This is sad for them... they are missing out on a great place and great people... and it is sad for folks in the marine support industries here in Oz who are already suffering enough from the general downturn.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point, NSW, Oz southbound
Old 08-12-2010, 13:39   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day All,
Our observation is that cruisers are indeed shunning Australia.
They were still plenty boats leaving for Indonesia this year ( 300?, official statistic do exist) most of them requesting a free hull inspection (must be pay by someone) that a lot of tax payers resent. (They question why they should pay for people that look richer than them). So the user pay policy takes place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day All,
This is sad for them... they are missing out on a great place and great people.
Is this not worth $330?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 13:51   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I hope all you opportunists get nailed big time..... I was why not you....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 13:59   #52

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post

Is this not worth $330?
yes, If I were spending that money in shops buying provisions, or spending it on AU beer or somesuch...no objection to spending money in other's economies, but if it's goona cost hundreds to inspect me, and one of the most gorgeous countries in the world is just a sail away, and are more reasonable...I'm going there.

No objection to a reasonable fee...but I am not funding useless bureauRats when I don't have to...

Unfortunatey I still have to pay US taxes...am also considering residence options for the future...I love my country, but it sucks.
Old 08-12-2010, 14:07   #53

Boat: deboated
Maybe the ones we are missing out on would not have done much for the local marine industry anyway. French Polynesia requires a bond to enter which is repaid in French Pacific francs that bond was a lot more than $330.00 ($1000+) Aussie dollars so is everyone not going to FP as well. Fiji cost a little to enter and some more to cruise I cannot remember what that totalled but it was not free so we better cross Fiji off the list. OR Maybe the ones not visiting basicly just can't afford to and its a financial decision. Just like driving a Chev rather than a Mercedes and then telling everyone that you heard those Merc's are unreliable so I am going to avoid them.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 14:16   #54

Boat: deboated
To put it a little more bluntly after reading the above the only cruisers we are missing out on are the ones looking to bludge on our country. Taking all they can get free and doing there level best not to pay. Polluting the waters because they refuse to spend the money on holding tanks etc. So frankly I am glad they are avoiding us our gain their loss.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 14:17   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Sorry guys but I'm a silly ole buga... ex colonial.. nearly.. missed it by a year.... story of my life
Anyway... damn I don't remember the question....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-12-2010, 14:30   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Oh Yeah... thats it... When I come into a country I spend money on food, booze and ciggy's... I also often buy bits for my boat...
I'm bringing euro's into the country I'm in... I've used nothing provided by the country I've traveled to (Airports etc) and I'll pay for whatever I may use while I'm there...
So... if I'm going to pass along that way... and it costs me $300+ to spend my money where Meyerm live's... then as far as I'm concerned 'Screw You'.....
Thats like paying $20 to get into a nightclub so's you've the honour to pay $5 for a $1 beer... Ok... thats what tickles your nuts... fine.. I hope/know we'll never meet..
I bag my paper.. the food residue/excess goes to feed the fish..... if that bothers you look down the food chain.. we all eat it in one form or the other...
Phew... that was a mouthful

Old 08-12-2010, 15:21   #57
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
so, because i have wood masts i wouldnt be able to go to australia?? wow where else can i be banned from???? i love my wood masts. hoooyaaahhhh!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 15:33   #58
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
To put it a little more bluntly after reading the above the only cruisers we are missing out on are the ones looking to bludge on our country. Taking all they can get free and doing there level best not to pay. Polluting the waters because they refuse to spend the money on holding tanks etc. So frankly I am glad they are avoiding us our gain their loss.
I have to agree. You are basically squatting on another countries land. If you can't afford the $300, you can't afford to support the economy either.

It would be interesting to know what is considered "cruising" also. If your "cruising" do you ever move your boat? 1 time per week, month?

I'm a boat owner but not a cruiser but I would hazard to guess that I sail my boat more per month then 1/2 the "cruisers" in the St. Martin area.
Old 08-12-2010, 15:38   #59
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats like paying $20 to get into a nightclub so's you've the honour to pay $5 for a $1 beer... Ok... thats what tickles your nuts... fine..
You don't know why it costs $20 to get into a nightclub and $5 per beer? It's because the scenery is so sweet. And, I've heard something about nut's being tickled but can't attest to that part
Old 08-12-2010, 15:39   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

[QUOTE=Palarran;574296]I have to agree. You are basically squatting on another countries land. If you can't afford the $300, you can't afford to support the economy either.
QUOTE]

That would'nt be a Night Club owner speaking by any chance....lol