Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2020, 17:09   #121

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: I'll acknowledge the elephant in the room...Full keel is dead... ssb is dead...

<Look at the dates. You may have awakened a sleeping troll.
Old 14-08-2020, 17:46   #122

Boat: Antigua 44
Re: I'll acknowledge the elephant in the room...Full keel is dead... ssb is dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
<Look at the dates. You may have awakened a sleeping troll.
Lol, I forget how old this forum is now.... its been about 15 years. Well perhaps we can hear about his boat then, he should have it by now!
Talk Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 18:20   #123

Boat: 32’ Sloop

In the age of SDR a SSB is quite cheap and a “why not” especially if you’re running opencpn
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 00:20   #124

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematon785 View Post
Just thought I'd whack the hornets nest with a broom here.

Full keels are not dying out, they are dead. broaching in big waves, nd swamped cockpits, so heavy you need a turbo on the big diesel, bow sprits closing on 10 feet long, and the lee way OMG, trying to park or drive in reverse don't even bother

SSB installation at $6000 plus ya gotta have the whatever mail program and a computer to decipher morse code into weather maps, complexity, confusion, waiting to connect to the source, sunspots, and huge power consumption. A satellite solution is so quick, simple, easy, and cheaper.

Luke anchors that are effective are so heavy a literal crane aboard is needed to drag it out of the bilge, mantis or rocna on a chain is the latest thang.

Hard dinghy with oars? Cmon! no body uses this ancient stuff anymore. 30+ horsepower and a RIB gets us there in style well dressed not blown out to sea, capsized, sunk or paddling around against the current for hours.

tan barked canvas sails, tarred hemp lines, blocks a plenty to increase purchase vs a big ol electric winch and full battened laminate wings. guess who gets to port quicker, and who weathers the storm from plodding along at snail pace?

Paper charts? as a place mat maybe.

A mono hull? ya gotta be kidding. old news. cats are all that counts anymore.

A windvane? are you serious?! with modern wind aware below deck autopilots connected to the nmea networked chartplotter why even throw away the money on such an antique?

A boat of any kind under 40 feet? only lunatics would make any passage over 50 miles from shore or 10 hours on such a dangerous vessel

Catching rain is so 1970. do you use a tye dye tarp for that? time to get with the water making program. nice water jugs strapped to your stays and shrouds. looks quaint.

rice and beans? no. refrigeration yes.

It all flows the way of the loran and the sextant.

Yeah, I'm being a bit of a smart a$$.
Yep, and you appear to be one of those folks who want to take all the fun out of life.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 06:53   #125

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Since Talk Story was kind enough to breath a little life into this, until recently silent, thread, I thought I'd stir the hornet's nest a little by mentioning the ketch rig. We seem to have ignored this.

And to add a bit of fuel to the fire, here's a very nice FULL KEEL boat demonstrating an advantage of its hull, albeit in conditions not many are likely to encounter. Come to think of it, it's built in a manner unlike most boats. Five watertight bulkheads, with the thinnest being 3 inches (76.2mm) thick?!! Plot spoiler; for those who can't or don't have time to watch the video, the vessel survives.

ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 07:19   #126

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I suppose square sails are out.
Old 15-08-2020, 07:37   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

try tellin' a guy riding his Harley Davidson that his bike is a 100 year old relic....c'mon....I dare ya....you really got balls....do so during Daytona Bike week....in a bar....be sure to find the biker with the beard and tattoo's....c'mon....I wanna see this....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 09:06   #128

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Since Talk Story was kind enough to breath a little life into this, until recently silent, thread, I thought I'd stir the hornet's nest a little by mentioning the ketch rig. We seem to have ignored this.

And to add a bit of fuel to the fire, here's a very nice FULL KEEL boat demonstrating an advantage of its hull, albeit in conditions not many are likely to encounter. Come to think of it, it's built in a manner unlike most boats. Five watertight bulkheads, with the thinnest being 3 inches (76.2mm) thick?!! Plot spoiler; for those who can't or don't have time to watch the video, the vessel survives.

Wait now...isn't that the same yacht where the guy was claiming conditions were too rough for him to leave Minerva Reef??? Hmmm
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 09:34   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post

Thanks for sharing. Fascinating video.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 10:39   #130

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematon785 View Post
Just thought I'd whack the hornets nest with a broom here.

It all flows the way of the loran and the sextant.

LORAN is coming back and the USNavy started teaching celestial to cadets again. USMM & USCG never stopped teaching it.

I guess all those other thing are coming back too.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 12:33   #131

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

As to homes so securely attached to the ground that no one would think to refloat them, we live behind a row of sand dunes about 2 or 3 minutes away from the junction of 2 Tectonic plates assuming a tsunamic speed of 600 miles per hour. If it generates a small tsunami we likely have, I think, maybe 20 minutes if the sand dunes prevent a direct hit and the rising water has to come into the bay behind us and work it’s way 6 miles or so North. On the fear that our home would refloat and having been in stuck in a traffic jam trying to evacuate once long ago we have our Cape Dory 25 “ Bill Tillman” with 2 anchors buried 5 feet in the sand with 70 feet of 5/16 s chain going to each one. Not much but if our home does refloat we feel the boat is a better bet. If we are ever tested and survive watch for my Go Pro footage on You Tube.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 13:02   #132

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
Not much but if our home does refloat we feel the boat is a better bet.
Beats the heck out of trying to evacuate in a Tesla.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 15:04   #133

16 y.o. Tundra.
Old 15-08-2020, 15:32   #134
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

ha, a 16 yr old Tundra is still new....got 3/4 of it's life left yet....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 16:18   #135

Probably true, it only has 110,000 miles on it.

Tags
keel, ssb