Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 07:15   #106

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: I'll acknowledge the elephant in the room...Full keel is dead... ssb is dead...

Another advantage of a full keel is there is more surface area. This is much better when you are keel hauling someone!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:00   #107

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: I'll acknowledge the elephant in the room...Full keel is dead... ssb is dead...

A full keel is also the best device to get tripped over in rough seas. The hull has no give and the boat will get rolled over.

I am remodeling our condo right now chopping off the full thing and adding on a foil based on Team Emirates profile at Instagram.

I will post some pictures when ready.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:07   #108

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A full keel is also the best device to get tripped over in rough seas. The hull has no give and the boat will get rolled over.

I am remodeling our condo right now chopping off the full thing and adding on a foil based on Team Emirates profile at Instagram.

I will post some pictures when ready.

b.
Maybe true, but a proper full keel hull will right itself with the keel still attached. In those heavy conditions they HOVE TO much better and easier.
Old 27-06-2017, 08:19   #109

Full Keels do not score quite as high in the lost keel arena either. Cannot remember hearing of a molded on full keel just falling off.

They also can retain directional stability while the captain scores a cup of coffee a beer or even a sandwich from the galley while single O sailing. Even when no self steering device is used. Ours will sail for miles and miles without touching the tiller or adjusting the sails on most points of sail. It has that traditional Rolls Royce feel which imparts that heavy, no pounding to weather, confidence feel, which we enjoy.
Old 27-06-2017, 08:31   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Another advantage of a full keel is there is more surface area. This is much better when you are keel hauling someone!
Still laughing Army Dave. One never knows when a good keel hauling may be necessary these days.
Old 28-06-2017, 06:12   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
Maybe true, but a proper full keel hull will right itself with the keel still attached. In those heavy conditions they HOVE TO much better and easier.
Yes. Esp. one with integral ballast. One of the benefits of the design. They also tend to have more reliable rudders.

Yes. They will likely lay hove to way better. However, my vision is that in HEAVY CONDITIONS heaving to is a bad choice. (We sail a small boat and my comment relates to such boats).

Still, I'd rather be in a boat that does not get tripped over than in one that re-rights itself surely. Maybe because I have already been in the latter. She got capsized while hove-to.

Ymmv. Our craft is wee - 26x9ft and only 3t. Proper full keel (but light displacement).

Cheers,
b.
Old 28-06-2017, 19:34   #112

Hove To was the method used almost exclusively by the Pardeys, successfully for years. They tried Lying A Hull once and came very near turning turtle.
Old 28-06-2017, 19:59   #113

Well done Nematon, but for a couple of comments .
I thought Most regulators require that paper charts are carried on board.
Why would I want a deflatable dinghy that is guaranteed to go flat , the cover costs nearly as much as the boat and they are pretty nice Crocodile Teething Rings , leave it out at night and he will be waiting for breakfast as you scramble around trying to save that very heavy outboard .
I run a rotmoulded Hard dinghy with an outboard that I can lift by myself which also when on the davit does not compromise my sailing ability on, yes my very sea worthy 39 ft Catamaran.
Length is not the best judge of a boats capability .
I would put more faith in bridge deck clearance and loading .
Those low aspect ratio motor sailing cats can carry a lot but the diesel costs and the slamming reducce the fun of sailing over 10 knots.
Lance Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 20:08   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
Hove To was the method used almost exclusively by the Pardeys, successfully for years. They tried Lying A Hull once and came very near turning turtle.
Yes.

Note their hull is quite specific though. It is full keel but one that is quite far from typical. Another factor is they perfected the technique. E.g. they used a sea anchor to help keep the desired angle. This is no longer 'hove to' though an interesting and apparently worthy modification of the method. (Unless I am mixing thing up now, if so, pls correct me).

So, to me, in a small boat, there is NO heaving too once the waves start to break. And before they do to me it is NOT heavy weather.

Hugs,
b.
Old 19-07-2017, 07:07   #115
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

What about Al Gore....
Does a full keel boat have a smaller carbon footprint than a fin keel boat?
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 08:24   #116

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I have layed ahull on Mana for 5 hours in 30 foot breaking seas while we saved the rig after the bowsprit tang failed, and mickey moused the companionway doors back on, ( it was lucky my son was attached to the base of the boom tabernacle when they were yanked from the cabin) and slumped around trying to get our wind and energy back. Then we hove to for another 5 hours. Then we turned and ran downwind and pretty much downhill for 2 more days. Mana did those two things very well, we have never used our sea anchor on Mana, or drogues for that matter.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 10:42   #117

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
What about Al Gore....
If it is made of CARBON fiber, then no, it would have a bigger carbon footprint!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 15:21   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
What about Al Gore....
Should the full keel come with a wooden hull, I cannot say anything about the footprint, but I assume it will sink immediately and get devoured by bacteria and worms. Meanwhile, a grp hull will stay with us until someone proposes an intelligent way of getting rid of it.

So, in a way, the things of the past (like long keels and ssb radios) were greener than the more up to date stuff. Let alone the fact that they were way fewer.

We tend to spend our too disposable income on not too disposable items.

Cheers,
b.
Old 23-07-2017, 00:31   #119

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I vote "keel hauled" and crocodile "teething ring" as very fun comments that had me chuckling. I was always wondering about inflatables in gator country.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 15:54   #120

Boat: Antigua 44

Can we atleast get trolled by a boat owner next time?
Talk Story is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, ssb