Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 04:22   #406
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
goboatingnow.
Actually I've been a victim in France and quite lengthily involved (6 yrs)first hand with the French legal system which is why I am able to make an informed comment.
As for the other 2 reprobates I think the best medicine would be 'rough justice'.

You would never get me to see the advantage of " rough justice". The problem with that is where you stop.

As to the French legal system. I think you'll find it's not much different to elsewhere. By all means make an informed comment. But these vagrants were merely French, that had really nothing to do with it or France.
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2014, 04:29   #407
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You would never get me to see the advantage of " rough justice". The problem with that is where you stop.

when all the riff raff people have been taken care of, I'll let you know when

BTW - I have a starting list
Old 01-03-2014, 04:30   #408
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
when all the riff raff people have been taken care of, I'll let you know when

BTW - I have a starting list

God man, great ideas , was tried some years ago, outcome wasn't felt to be positive

Dave

Old 01-03-2014, 07:41   #409

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
... But these vagrants were merely French, that had really nothing to do with it or France... Dave

I hope a couple of our gentle readers are by now realizing that the term "French" can be used without insulting an entire country of people: as an adjective.

I say, by way of further editorial point of view, that the original use of calling television "a vast wasteland" back in 1961 pales alongside experiencing the woeful world wide web.
Old 07-03-2014, 18:43   #410

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

Being located at the northern end of an outside jump on the Gulf intercoastal (about 180 miles), lots of boats spend a lot of time in town waiting for the weather or nerve to make the jump. We get a generous portion of neer-do-wells. They all pretty much try to pull the same tricks, though the more clever ones come up with some more amusing scams.

They have collected money to haul medicines to the Cuna Indians, start a floating Scout camp, bummed any and all loose boat gear, and camped on derelict boats. leaving behind a derelict surrounded with trash. Conning anyone who will provide them cash is a routine tactic.

In foreign ports I have sprung battered and beaten shipmates from jails, boxed up dead ones on ice to be shipped home, and seen dozens of scams involving in excess of a thousand bucks. Physical attacks by robbers in ports are so common as to barely rate a mention.

All I can say to those who are morally outraged by the peccadilloes of this pair of minor French dirtbags discussed in endless detail in this thread, is that I envy you your sheltered lives. If you think their deeds are heinous, you have had a very fortunate existence.
Old 07-03-2014, 19:00   #411
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

To not be outraged by somebody being taken advantage of out of the goodness of his heart is to give in to the fact that these scumbags, and those like them, have won the battle to do as they like without consequences.

Coops.
Old 07-03-2014, 19:06   #412
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
To not be outraged by somebody being taken advantage of out of the goodness of his heart is to give in to the fact that these scumbags, and those like them, have won the battle to do as they like without consequences.

Coops.

Could I suggest scumbag is a very pejorative word, these people sound extremely poor and possibly driven to extreme measures. I mean neither of them have had a voice on this forum, so we don't reality know the situation.

Some years ago, I had a relative transported to Botany Bay for stealing bread because his children starving ( well that's the story any way ) it seems we've not progressed much on CF.

Remember ones humanity

Dave

Old 07-03-2014, 20:40   #413

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Some years ago, I had a relative transported to Botany Bay for stealing bread because his children starving ( well that's the story any way ) it seems we've not progressed much on CF.

Dave

Which do you consider wrong; the application of the law or the sentence?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:35   #414

Boat: Skookum 53'

"The law is applied equally, it forbids the rich and the poor alike from sleeping under a bridge." Don't remember the author. Anyway, they came, they scammed, they went. Water under the bridge. I have been taken for far more by unscrupulous employers, alleged friends, and my own govt. every year. As said before, this is much ado about very little.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:44   #415
Nearly an old salt

ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
Which do you consider wrong; the application of the law or the sentence?

Both, a small revolution. In the 20th century sorted out that issue, his relatives ended up in the government !!

Dave
Old 08-03-2014, 04:46   #416
Nearly an old salt

ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
"The law is applied equally, it forbids the rich and the poor alike from sleeping under a bridge." Don't remember the author. Anyway, they came, they scammed, they went. Water under the bridge. I have been taken for far more by unscrupulous employers, alleged friends, and my own govt. every year. As said before, this is much ado about very little.

This is not an issue of law. In fact not aware of any prosecution. The issue is that should society penalise the person that HAS to sleep under a bridge from one that chooses to leave his mansion and DECIDE to sleep under the bridge. The two are different and in most societies are treated differently

Dave
Old 08-03-2014, 05:03   #417

Boat: Skookum 53'

Thank you, that fine distinction had escaped me.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:03   #418

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Both, a small revolution. In the 20th century sorted out that issue, his relatives ended up in the government !!

Dave
I always thought the Aussie government was incredibly similar to the Canadian one. Just the proper amount of thieves, villains and scoundrels.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:41   #419
CLOD

Boat: none

You guys going to start talking ethics now?

One mans freedom fighter is someone else's terrorist. Was Robin Hood a hero, or just a thief with good PR? Is stealing from a rich person OK, but not a poor person even if they have more than you? Does following the law make you ethical? If following the law violates your ethics, is it right to break the law?

This is just way too deep for me and now I'm going to be waiting for rum o'clock to arrive.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:54   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You guys going to start talking ethics now?

One mans freedom fighter is someone else's terrorist. Was Robin Hood a hero, or just a thief with good PR? Is stealing from a rich person OK, but not a poor person even if they have more than you? Does following the law make you ethical? If following the law violates your ethics, is it right to break the law?

This is just way too deep for me and now I'm going to be waiting for rum o'clock to arrive.
Now we're getting a bit deeper. I just watched "The Wolf of Wall Street". It reminds me of: "Behind every great fortune is a great crime." Honore de Balzac

Sure, kiting a check is criminal, but there are plenty of wealthy people who got where they are on the backs of others. Just because it's legal or someone didn't get caught doesn't make it right.

So who is worse, the people on this boat who don't have any resources to speak of and who kite a check, or the person in the newer shiny boat in the next slip who managed to evade the state taxes on his boat? They're both taking advantage of the kindness of strangers, albeit one is more direct than the other.

Closed Thread

Tags
French, icw, Oriental, pirates, Primadonna