Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2016, 08:10   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: ICW - clean enough to swim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
There is a sand bar in Ft Lauderdale on the ICW about a mile north of Port Everglades, you'll find a 100 people swimming there on a nice weekend. Most places nope.
Not that it really matters, but I think you're remembering the sand bar on the north side of Peanut Island within a mile north of Lake Worth Inlet at Palm Beach. Fort Lauderdale is my home town and I can't place anything like this north of Port Everglades except that shoal on the south side where the New River meets the ICW, but I've never seen swimmers there.

There have always been swimming in what we used to call "Whisky Creek" just south of Port Everglades. As kids, we used to swim across the New River while holding our clothes overhead to get to downtown and the movie theater.
Old 23-08-2016, 08:36   #32

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Nice to have a deck shower at the transom. I sometimes use it to cool down. It can be done underway without stopping.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 09:04   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I swam in southwest Florida waters in the ICW, when I was over on that side of the US. Generally off St. James city/ pine island and around towards port Charlotte. Plus in the keys/ tortuga's.

Though I did NOT swim in the little shark river.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 09:22   #34

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Hudson...that is the place, frequently many small boats anchor there and swim on the weekends. Remember when there was a tree and a small island there?

Sent from my LGMS323 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 13:32   #35

Boat: MacGregor 26X

The ICW in my neck of the woods is fine for swimming. "Gators like dark fresh water but occasionally get lost and end up in salty or clear water. The only shark I really fear are bull sharks. They are shallow water sharks and are not averse to fresh water. However if you look at the annual death by shark or "gators then you will realize you are more likely to be killed walking from the marina to the liquor store for resupply.
Oh, my neck of the woods is Sarasota/Bradenton, Fl.
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 13:50   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRefugee View Post
The ICW in my neck of the woods is fine for swimming. "Gators like dark fresh water but occasionally get lost and end up in salty or clear water. The only shark I really fear are bull sharks. They are shallow water sharks and are not averse to fresh water. However if you look at the annual death by shark or "gators then you will realize you are more likely to be killed walking from the marina to the liquor store for resupply.
Oh, my neck of the woods is Sarasota/Bradenton, Fl.
We just had a kid killed from a brain eating ameba, in SC. Probably as likely as a gator or a Bull shark.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw