Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2016, 07:41   #1

Boat: Mirage 35
How Not to Plan an Ocean Passage

A friend sent this link - it strikes me that the story has some interesting lessons on seamanship.

After many rescue calls, American sailors in Cornwall called 'incompetent' - Home | As It Happens | CBC Radio
Old 21-01-2016, 08:15   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: How Not to Plan an Ocean Passage

I say once things happen twice shy. Third time just make them pay the cost of the 'rescue' (towing?) and that's possibly the end of their adventure.

Only saving lives is obligatory and free. If the BOAT has seven serious problems, then her owners have very deep pockets.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 08:18   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'll cut and paste it here to save others bothering to follow the link. Personally I didn't see any lessons, but maybe I missed something...

After many rescue calls, American sailors in Cornwall called 'incompetent'

Bob Weise and Steve Shapiro have been sailing on this boat, named Nora, since the
Fishermen from a UK beach town have doubts about the abilities of a pair of American sailors who needed rescuing earlier this week, says a local article. It's the seventh time that Bob Weise and Steve Shapiro have had to call for rescue since they embarked on a year-long sailing trip last summer.

"We're having great fun. Everywhere we go the people are welcoming ... seamen are always helpful, even if they think you are crazy and don't know how to sail. So, we're having a great time," says Weise, a former army pilot
Since the rescue in St Ives, some local fishermen have been questioning Shapiro and Weise's seamanship. One fishermen told the BBC that the pair don't have "a clue what they're doing."

But Shapiro — an author originally from California — disagrees.

"We're taking [the boat] across the oceans and we're finding out things that nobody knew were wrong with it. It has nothing to do with seamanship. It's totally the mechanics of
The pair, both 71, left Norway in July. It's expected that their journey will last around a year. Their final destination is Maine.

While Weise admits that members of St Ives Coastguard are worried about their safety, he says it doesn't phase him.

"One of the coast guard fellows, he said, 'You guys could sink.' And, I said, 'You know, there's worse places to die than at sea.' We're 71 years old. I've done everything in life. I've skydived. I've flown helicopters. I've been to Vietnam and Alaska. You know, to me, it's just an adventure'
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 08:22   #4

Thanks for posting the text - for those who are really interested the interview is worth a listen.

The lessons mostly come from your answers to the question "what would I do differently?". Perhaps "food for thought" would be. a better description.
Old 21-01-2016, 08:28   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok thanks. Low bandwidth prevents me from listening to the audio.
Old 21-01-2016, 08:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Not to Plan an Ocean Passage

Sound like a coupla good guys to have a pint with..
Been some heavy weather all along there route and they've got this far so I'll give em 'Lantern Room'..
If they can get a good window 4-5 days will see them in La Coruna..
However once round Finisterre Baiona is the last shelter till Lisbon if the sea's kick up.. all the entrances will be closed so an abandon ship will be the order of the day.. hope they have the sense to head into Falmouth and get everything sorted delaying departure till April.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 09:07   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

And, I said, 'You know, there's worse places to die than at sea.' We're 71 years old. I've done everything in life. I've skydived. I've flown helicopters.
Good on them.

Beats the crap outta being in a nursing home like my mother.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 09:11   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bloody oath. 71! Good on em. Buy me a beer from me if you run into em Phil (not literally run into them, which might be possible!)
Old 21-01-2016, 09:26   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I am sure they are incompetent, but so what?
I was when I raced motorcycles at 20 and I had a lot of company on the track. At 71, you ought to be able to go out like you please, children if there were any are raised etc.
I cave dive as a hobby, and you wouldn't believe the number of people who think that activity ought to be illegal, why?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 09:35   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Took me awhile to find the listen button, but your right, it's worth listening to.
I have a feeling they are a lot more serious than they act, but are having fun playing the fool.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 09:50   #11

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

"We're taking [the boat] across the oceans and we're finding out things that nobody knew were wrong with it. It has nothing to do with seamanship. It's totally the mechanics of the boat."

If my car brakes down 4 or 7 times in the same period it would be due to the mechanics of it. I call a tow truck and nobody would call me a bad driver....

But... I pay for the tow.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 10:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Took me awhile to find the listen button, but your right, it's worth listening to.
I have a feeling they are a lot more serious than they act, but are having fun playing the fool.
Good point - an interpretation I hadn't considered - they may just be enjoying the notoriety.

But still, they do seem to get into trouble on a pretty regular basis ...
Old 21-01-2016, 10:19   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Not to Plan an Ocean Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Good point - an interpretation I hadn't considered - they may just be enjoying the notoriety.

But still, they do seem to get into trouble on a pretty regular basis ...
LOL.. I've collected boats that have had nothing wrong with them known...
Just hope they had a good wooden boats surveyor.. she's a princess in rags right now..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 10:47   #14

I'm not sure I agree with y'all who are praising these guys. Seven times is ridiculous! I get that the whole point of the lifeboat rescue service is to...well....rescue people...but let's not forget that these lifeboat crew are literally putting their lives on the line to pluck these two out of "harm", whatever that situation may be.

I see all sorts of ethical issues here.
-What happens when a Coastie or Rescue crew member gets hurt or dies in the effort to "save" these guys an eighth time?
-Perhaps there are other cruisers in actual need, who's rescue gets delayed because of these guys?
-Is it appropriate for them to knowingly go out in unsafe conditions (whether that's boat or weather conditions) with the mindset that, 'don't worry, we can always get rescued'?
-Can a rescue service deny them? Who makes the call that a situation is actually life-threatening?

If you ask me, a call for rescue is made when you're stepping out of your boat up into your liferaft....The people who bear the burden of "saving" these guys over and over and over again probably shouldn't have to keep risking their lives in this situation.
vmattiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 10:49   #15

Boat: Ohlson 29

First of all - the 'pay for rescue' comments are plain stupid. Rescue services shouldn't be for those who can afford it, or for those "who deserve it" -- period. If you think otherwise, please think about that for a minute and let us all know who gets to decide who 'deserves' rescuing, and based on what criteria we let others sink or drown.

I also didn't hear any real info on what kind of rescuing they've needed, so what's the fuss about? What help have they needed and what trouble did they get into? The only rescue mentioned in the linked article is a tow into the harbor ...

The interview sounded like they're having fun with all the fuss, which is probably the best way to deal with it. Meanwhile, they're working on the boat and are having a great time. At least they're out there, which is more then many of us -myself included- can say ...

Tags
cal, captain, passage, rescue, sail