Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 23:23   #16
cruiser

Re: How much say do women really have

It was my wife's idea to buy a boat that we could spend time on. She loves our current boat. When I bring up the idea of changing to a much larger catamaran or trawler, she says no.... unless it's a straight across trade.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 00:20   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It was my wife's idea to buy a boat that we could spend time on. She loves our current boat. When I bring up the idea of changing to a much larger catamaran or trawler, she says no.... unless it's a straight across trade.
Ken, its not your fault that you married a smart woman!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 00:34   #18
cruiser

My wife likes the interior space on a catamaran, but can't get used to to way they look..... Meaning, she doesn't find them to be attractive.

Am I allowed to write this on CF?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 02:37   #19

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
We've owned a 40' monohull for 20+years and cruising, off and on, for 14. My wife selected the boat after rejecting all my 'racy' monohull suggestions. I was upset then but now am very glad she insisted on Mirador.

We are looking at larger boat. I wanted a trawler and she has insisted on a sailing catamaran. She refused to consider anything other than a 42' or larger catamaran. I am pretty set on a DeFever 49 trawler but am not making headway on that choice.

I can't say it would upset me to buy the Lagoon 440 she loves.

We'll see!

I can relate to this. We are joining friends next week with a Lagoon 440 for the 3rd summer in a row, this time in Turkey. My wife absolutely loves it. They are just so liveable and comfortable. (and they sail fairly well too) We usually spend a couple hours sailing most days, to the next lovely anchorage, and then cocktail hour starts early. The perfect boat to relax in.

Would I buy one? No. But it is great having a good buddy with one.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 03:10   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
My wife likes the interior space on a catamaran, but can't get used to to way they look..... Meaning, she doesn't find them to be attractive.

Am I allowed to write this on CF?
Of course you can!

Please keep writing whilst Im not reading............

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 03:18   #21

Boat: Hullmaster 27

This has nothing to do with cats or monohulls but I almost choked when I read the question. I think I come from a very different generation. Nowadays, I think it's mostly gone the other way. I'd be more keen to ask how much input the man actually has. You know like TV shows and commercials, dumb guy can't figure how to put his underwear on without this eye-rolling wife to sort him straight. Makes it clear he's a childish imbecile if he's doing anything other than building or earning. It's commonly like that around the house now. Most of my friends have to ask to go outside. And she has the final say on everything.

I've always thought it's all about the partnership. The empowering of each other to realize what each wants from life and living with the compromises that that entails, because the sum can be so much larger. If you're not backing each others wishes and sitting in each others corners, what's the use.

For example...My SO always said "boats are dumb, I don't like them, they aren't safe, no I'd rather sit on dry ground, what's so big about sitting on a boat, I don't like the water, you can't sail it on your own and I'm not helping." Things like that. Sometimes even with a smirk, like you silly silly boy.

Then for a while she said "I can't believe you left me. Please come back. At least come and visit so we can talk, I miss you." Things like that.

Now I don't really know what she says, I mostly just hear wind and wave.

True story. I'm not for everyone. But that's how I see it.
Bonis Eruptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 03:50   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

My wife bought the boat with her money
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 04:40   #23

My wife's boat requirements. Must have hot water, must have a galley she can use on a passage, must have a separate shower stall, and must be a mono as she doesn't feel safe doing a crossing on a cat.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 05:30   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonis Eruptus View Post

For example...My SO always said "boats are dumb, I don't like them, they aren't safe, no I'd rather sit on dry ground, what's so big about sitting on a boat, I don't like the water, you can't sail it on your own and I'm not helping." Things like that. Sometimes even with a smirk, like you silly silly boy.

Then for a while she said "I can't believe you left me. Please come back. At least come and visit so we can talk, I miss you." Things like that.

Now I don't really know what she says, I mostly just hear wind and wave.

True story. I'm not for everyone. But that's how I see it.
Made me laugh.
Old 16-07-2015, 06:21   #25

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

Always listen to what the female has to say - they come from a totally different place and many, many times think of something that you wouldn't think of in a zillion years.

And are usually practical and right....and if it is their idea don't care what it costs to do it.

So when they tell you to build a new rudder or go pound sand, you build a new rudder. And when it is finished and the vast majority of the boat's handling problems disappear and you never have to worry about the rudder failing at sea, the penny drops that she has a lot of good ideas. Costly, but good....
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 06:27   #26

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
My wife's boat requirements. Must have hot water, must have a galley she can use on a passage, must have a separate shower stall, and must be a mono as she doesn't feel safe doing a crossing on a cat.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Evidently my husband got his own account and moved to Australia. But you forgot about the electric windlass and a strong preference for roller furling headsail.

If I had it to do over again, I would also want the jib sheet winches a bit closer to the helm.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 06:35   #27

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
Always listen to what the female has to say - they come from a totally different place and many, many times think of something that you wouldn't think of in a zillion years.

And are usually practical and right....and if it is their idea don't care what it costs to do it.

So when they tell you to build a new rudder or go pound sand, you build a new rudder. And when it is finished and the vast majority of the boat's handling problems disappear and you never have to worry about the rudder failing at sea, the penny drops that she has a lot of good ideas. Costly, but good....

Bonis Eruptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 06:40   #28

Boat: Bristol 29.9

I'm the wife, and although we both sailed when we were younger, we've been learning and growing together as we sail through our third season on our Bristol 24.

We're actively searching for the next boat (which will be the one we go cruising on), and it's been a partnership the whole way.

Fortunately we both want a monohull, because I have zero interest in a cat. It's just not for me.
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 07:06   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rodlmffao. women should never have a say in mans world. what a buncha stuffed heads ye are.
i am a female and i CHOSE monohull, nay, formosa 41 because i LIKE it

what a novel concept.

woman knowing her own mined. omy gods.

i do hope you guys are joking.

omygods i even know something about boats and sailing, as do more women than you males can possibly ever know.....

we need a thread about the stoopit choices made by males....

ye do know there are females who so enjoy sailing they sail a MONOHULL around the world alone, dontcha?????

this thread is sooo funny i cannot stop laughing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 07:16   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

In my case, my wife prefers a boat that sails closer to flat than heeled over. I can see her point when it comes to getting things done on board and in walking around the boat. It's also a sense that "the boat feels like it is less likely to tip over". Yes, I know this isn't really true.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men