Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 01:24   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
All too often certain cat lovers try to tell the world that cats don't sink, cats don't capsize. which is utter bs. Some people seem to live in total denial.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Methinks it would be better for you to deal with the individuals than generalize. Not a lover of labels myself, and any Cat owner I know has never made the statement as quoted above. Any boat will sink or capsize in the right circumstances. Stuff happens.

Its singularly unpleasant to be accused of something that is patently untrue. Its also unpleasant to see a bias of gigantic proportions in an individuals psyche, it diminishes the credibility of other statements made by that person.

We get it, you dont like Cats. No worries, its not obligatory. I do and I like monos as well.. They are boats and I need one to be on the water.

So go ahead and name and shame the individuals who make silly statements, but do not lump all Cat owners together under the banner of living in total denial.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 01:48   #167
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
There's a whole thread about a cat doing exactly that, think hard, you know the one. It even sunk in the end.

Hi Hoppy. I believe you shall find that your typical cat often provides the crew a longer period to abandon their craft then alternative vessels. I recently read a critical review of a Leopard 47ft sailing cat by a person that identified himself as an experienced sailor (its within the forum pages) whereby he claimed that despite having over one ton of lead in each keel the Leopard 47 that he sailed on was constantly on the verge of capsizing. Incredibly proposterous statement and doubtful the poster had the experience he claimed. There shall always be exceptions to any rule so by identfying a single cat that capsized in calm weather is not being very reasonable of a typical situation - I do not know about this particular event but then again we cannot all know about everything. At least, I can't.
A number of cats also have some inherent bouyancy built in and this is often supplemented by added floatation. We usually try to add expanding foam, fore and aft in liquid form to aid collision protection and bouyancy. We only do this if there is meaningful space in the hulls. I am uncertain how effective this shall be in the event of it being needed but it must slow down any adverse affects. At the end of the day anything that we go to sea in can sink. To me, its important that I have the time to organise my departure, despite my thinking that I am always ready for such an emergency.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 02:13   #168

Boat: Timpenny 770 7.7m

The last two trailer sailers we have owned have been Mono hulls and the next purchase will very likely be a mono hull keel boat.
My wife is dinghy sailor and is only to aware that catamarans are more stable upside down than upright.
Quietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 02:31   #169
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietta View Post
The last two trailer sailers we have owned have been Mono hulls and the next purchase will very likely be a mono hull keel boat.
My wife is dinghy sailor and is only to aware that catamarans are more stable upside down than upright.
Oh boy.......here we go again with another uninformed statement by yet another 'expert'.
Old 25-07-2015, 02:46   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Well, that statement is utter BS for one.
So now you're forgetting that people have made these comments on CF as well.
Old 25-07-2015, 02:52   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietta View Post
If we are going to make ridiculous statements here is one.....
Are you and you wife aware that approx 1500 people lost their lives when a rather large mono-hull sank a while ago? Try finding a multi-hull that has done that.
Lets not go thru' that whole unnecessary drama again.
There is nothing wrong with multi-hulls and there is nothing wrong with mono-hulls either. We each buy what we individually can afford and that provides us with what we are prepared to settle for. I would hazard that many of us would 'upgrade' our boats if money were no object.
Old 25-07-2015, 02:57   #172
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
All too often certain cat lovers try to tell the world that cats don't sink, cats don't capsize. which is utter bs. Some people seem to live in total denial.

It's very nice that you are respectful not to say anything when people go missing or die, you wouldn't want to look like a total arse.

Hoppy, are you not thinking about how others read your postings? I am sure that I read something about being respectful.....?
Old 25-07-2015, 03:01   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
We dont "get away" with anything. If you take hard look around, political correctness has destroyed the art of honest conversation. Big Shaz is called that because she is the boss. Its the mark of respect. She is also slighly "fluffy" (what is that crap?) and is loved by eveyone. She also is wise enough to let me think Im the boss but the reality differs. Example..

"Go ask Doc G if its ok to do XXX or save time and sort it out with Big Shaz"

Patients refer to her as Big Sharon. Kids come in and ask for Mrs Big Sharon to take blood because she is gentle.

Now Big Jodrells in the Chip shop is a different matter. She is big,,,, and called Jodrells after Jodrell Bank the British Observatory for 'listening' to outer space.. Big J hears everything and uses it against you.... say nothing in B J's presence.
Love the reasoning behind Big J's nickname............... gave me a chuckle.
Old 25-07-2015, 03:09   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi Hoppy. I believe you shall find that your typical cat often provides the crew a longer period to abandon their craft then alternative vessels. I recently read a critical review of a Leopard 47ft sailing cat by a person that identified himself as an experienced sailor (its within the forum pages) whereby he claimed that despite having over one ton of lead in each keel the Leopard 47 that he sailed on was constantly on the verge of capsizing. Incredibly proposterous statement and doubtful the poster had the experience he claimed. There shall always be exceptions to any rule so by identfying a single cat that capsized in calm weather is not being very reasonable of a typical situation - I do not know about this particular event but then again we cannot all know about everything. At least, I can't.
A number of cats also have some inherent bouyancy built in and this is often supplemented by added floatation. We usually try to add expanding foam, fore and aft in liquid form to aid collision protection and bouyancy. We only do this if there is meaningful space in the hulls. I am uncertain how effective this shall be in the event of it being needed but it must slow down any adverse affects. At the end of the day anything that we go to sea in can sink. To me, its important that I have the time to organise my departure, despite my thinking that I am always ready for such an emergency.
I was just responding to the comment

Quote:
I'd rather be in an upside down cat than a liferaft. Anyway, in calm water the cat isn't going to capsize.
The incident in question has proven this statement to be wrong. Sure it is a very unique case and may never be repeated, but we cannot just deny it could never happen again until the exact cause is known.

Who knows maybe it happened as a result of a modification made by the charter company that would horrify the boats designer.
Old 25-07-2015, 03:25   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I was just responding to the comment

The incident in question has proven this statement to be wrong. Sure it is a very unique case and may never be repeated, but we cannot just deny it could never happen again until the exact cause is known.

Who knows maybe it happened as a result of a modification made by the charter company that would horrify the boats designer.
OK, understood. To assist this individual can you relate the incident, please?
It might help me to understand the issue. More importantly, I prefer to learn from others experiences rather than learning the hard way.
Many thanks.
Old 25-07-2015, 03:37   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
OK, understood. To assist this individual can you relate the incident, please?
It might help me to understand the issue. More importantly, I prefer to learn from others experiences rather than learning the hard way.
Many thanks.
The L440 that half sank and then turned turtle leaving just the bows on the surface. It did something that has surprised most people.
Old 25-07-2015, 03:46   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The L440 that half sank and then turned turtle leaving just the bows on the surface. It did something that has surprised most people.
.........and has there been any further information as to the 'why'? Can anyone comment?
Thanks.
Old 25-07-2015, 14:44   #178

Quote:
So now you're forgetting that people have made these comments on CF as well.

I don't know, please show me where someone has said catamarans NEVER capsize, or NEVER sink.

I don't think anyone has ever said that. If they did they'd be wrong.

Just about every multihull thread ever started will eventually have the obligatory picture of an upturned cat. (Sunken mono's aren't so photogenic.)

The incident with the Lagoon - The crew was able to get off safely, contrary to whatever point you were trying to make about it being easier to abandon a monohull. (Although it is true, plenty of people do seem to be walking away from them...)

And if the Lagoon sank - so what? SOME cat's are unsinkable, not all. (Although IMO they all SHOULD be) Not every keelboat rights itself, you know. And I believe THAT claim is far more frequently made.

Anyway, as usual this is yet another thread intended to be derogatory to multihulls. Like the 100% motoring ********.

ie. REAL MEN wouldn't buy one. It's only wimps who do because they are forced to by the women. That's ******** too.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 14:49   #179

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For those of you who haven't see the thread, it's called 440 Lagoon Flips and Sinks. There is a great deal of guessing about why, and about 2/3 of the way into the thread, there's a post offered by one of the people on the boat that did capsize. One can only imagine how he felt watching it and getting his kids into the dinghy.

Ann
Old 25-07-2015, 15:05   #180
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't know, please show me where someone has said catamarans NEVER capsize, or NEVER sink.

I don't think anyone has ever said that. If they did they'd be wrong.

Just about every multihull thread ever started will eventually have the obligatory picture of an upturned cat. (Sunken mono's aren't so photogenic.)

The incident with the Lagoon - The crew was able to get off safely, contrary to whatever point you were trying to make about it being easier to abandon a monohull. (Although it is true, plenty of people do seem to be walking away from them...)

And if the Lagoon sank - so what? SOME cat's are unsinkable, not all. (Although IMO they all SHOULD be) Not every keelboat rights itself, you know. And I believe THAT claim is far more frequently made.

Anyway, as usual this is yet another thread intended to be derogatory to multihulls. Like the 100% motoring ********.

ie. REAL MEN wouldn't buy one. It's only wimps who do because they are forced to by the women. That's ******** too.
Hi Cruisingcat, hopefully I can clarify one point you made about photography - the multihull bobbing about on the surface is a sad sight. However, it is often downright difficult to photograph the monohull unless you have access to a bathysphere.
I suspect someone people have a touch of multihull envy.........
Probably, like many others, I was taught to sail on a mono-hull and I really enjoyed the experience. I owned and part time cruised mono hulls from 32ft to 47ft. At the time they were all just perfect. Then, I discovered multihulls and the rest is history. From my perspective, I would rather cruise on a 35ft cat then a 45ft monohull, and have done so, basically for the reasons previously discussed. Seeing so many cruising mono-hulls around me gives me a nice feeling..............

Tags
men