Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 18:05   #16

Boat: Various
Re: How much do you use your boat?

I've always lived where the climate was conducive to use. When I lived inland in NC and worked full time I still got in over 100 days per year especially after moving to the lake. The further from water, the shorter the use season, the less logical owning becomes.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 18:37   #17

Boat: Catalina 380

My wife and I live in the Carolina's. During the sailing season we drive 200 miles (400 round trip) about 3 times a month. We do this 6-7 months out of the year and we consider it a privilege to be able to do it. We could sail in the lakes closer to home but it's not the same as being in the Pamlico.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 19:02   #18

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
That's the charter/leasing company that I was considering, too. Never considered the crummy weather, good time to practice idea. That would allow us to really get our money's worth.
Pinnacle runs pretty good operation. You will enjoy it.

The storms in Chesapeake bay in the summer is quite predictable. IT comes and goes very fast, so you keep enough sea room it is an excellent time to practice your storm tactic, what work and what doesn't. It is relatively controlled environment that you only need to survive for less than 15 min.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 20:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Pinnacle runs pretty good operation. You will enjoy it.

The storms in Chesapeake bay in the summer is quite predictable. IT comes and goes very fast, so you keep enough sea room it is an excellent time to practice your storm tactic, what work and what doesn't. It is relatively controlled environment that you only need to survive for less than 15 min.
Pinnacle has an operation here in Chicago. Sorry if I inferred that we were in the bay. We would be more conservative here in Lake Michigan, as it really is an inland sea. Weather and chop do come up relatively quickly, and should be respected as evidenced by the Mac race loss of lives.
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 20:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
My wife and I live in the Carolina's. During the sailing season we drive 200 miles (400 round trip) about 3 times a month. We do this 6-7 months out of the year and we consider it a privilege to be able to do it. We could sail in the lakes closer to home but it's not the same as being in the Pamlico.
You are dedicated, to be sure.

I see that you dock in New Bern. I was actually approached last year about a position in that area of the the country. We're just not ready to leave our home quit yet.
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 01:42   #21

Boat: Catalina 380

There is a fine line between dedication and craziness. New Bern would be different than Chicago for sure but it is a wonderful place just the same.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 09:35   #22

Quote:
Pinnacle has an operation here in Chicago. Sorry if I inferred that we were in the bay. We would be more conservative here in Lake Michigan, as it really is an inland sea. Weather and chop do come up relatively quickly, and should be respected as evidenced by the Mac race loss of lives.
Yes, Wingnut is a good reminder that we must be on guard all the time.
Old 26-02-2014, 10:23   #23

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Boat is in Florida Keys and I'm in Aberdeen, Scotland... No weekend sailing for me!
Last time I sailed her was August 2011, since then she has cost me $7,000 for an osmosis treatment and bottom job, and about $12,000 in hard standing fees. Pretty stupid really, but I do love her dearly. I'll retire soon and be using her full time after that.
Old 26-02-2014, 11:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
Boat is in Florida Keys and I'm in Aberdeen, Scotland... No weekend sailing for me!
Last time I sailed her was August 2011, since then she has cost me $7,000 for an osmosis treatment and bottom job, and about $12,000 in hard standing fees. Pretty stupid really, but I do love her dearly. I'll retire soon and be using her full time after that.
Whoa.... You are one die hard boat owner. Hurry up, sail her soon
Old 26-02-2014, 12:52   #25

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

We lived on her the first year we owned her, then vacationed after that. First four weeks a year, then gradually five, then six, then seven weeks the last year before retirement. Now 3 months a year on board--limited to that by Schengen.

Our friend & neighbour here has his boat within a 20 minute drive. For the past two years we've had WAY more time on our boat than he has on his--& ours is 3000 miles away. When we go on vacation we're on our boat & sailing or otherwise enjoying her. For our neighbour, life keeps getting in the way of his sailing.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 08:20   #26

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It really isn't possible to justify having a boat on cost/use basis, you basically have to just want to do it!
+1.. 15+ yrs ago i was chatting with my uncle, complaining about the costs of ownership and he said something ill never forget.."if you just want to go fishing, then down to dock, pay $35 and go fishing...if you want to hop aboard and go drive around and go/ do what you want...THATS BOATING!.. and BOATING is expensive!"

the moral of the storys is.. you are going to pay a premium if you want boating in your life.. if you cant jusify the cost then go down and rent a boat for a couple hours to get your fix..
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 08:35   #27

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
This thread is meant for recreational, non fulltime cruisers. I'm trying to justify the expense and upkeep of a mid to upper 30' used crusing boat.
I live in a cold weather city with a 4 month sailing window.

How often do you actually sail your boat each month? How many days/month are you on your boat doing repairs, or enjoying the dockside condo?

Part of the reason I'd like to know, is that I'm comparing a seasonal lease/share arrangement versus ownership.

The cost of the part time lease is about the same cost of dockage and winter storage. It's less time on board, but there's no maintenance, insurance or costly repairs involved.
I would do the seasonal lease for one year and then decide whether you want to sail enough to justify the costs of owning your own boat after that. Just my 2 cents.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 08:38   #28

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We live in Denmark and sail the baltic. last year about 2000sm. we'll do the same this year. every other weekend, some evenings and a 4 week holiday. Season is may to october

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 10:30   #29

Quote:
This thread is meant for recreational, non fulltime cruisers. I'm trying to justify the expense and upkeep of a mid to upper 30' used crusing boat.
I live in a cold weather city with a 4 month sailing window.

How often do you actually sail your boat each month? How many days/month are you on your boat doing repairs, or enjoying the dockside condo?

Part of the reason I'd like to know, is that I'm comparing a seasonal lease/share arrangement versus ownership.

The cost of the part time lease is about the same cost of dockage and winter storage. It's less time on board, but there's no maintenance, insurance or costly repairs involved.
My 2 cents, forget justifying the cost of ownership. You can't.
Old 27-02-2014, 10:41   #30

Boat: Looking for a Trawler

While living aboard for several years on Florida's north west coast, where there are sailing days year round, I developed the
" INVERSE RULE OF BOAT USE". Use is inversely proportional to the size of the boat and the length of time that you have owned it. This is based on observing the daily use of about 120 boats (mostly sail) from 18 ft to 50ft.

The larger the boat, the less it is used. More maintenance, more to put way, more restrictive draft, more crew required before it leaves the slip.

The longer you have owned the boat the less you use it. The novelty wears off, spouse and kids develop other interests, "getting ready to go" becomes more of a chore.

While there are some people who break from this rule. It is amazing that after putting lots of money and time into our boats, they are used far less frequently than we imagined. The cure is to retire and go cruising.

Fair winds

Jorge
diadema111 is offline   Reply With Quote