Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 12:41   #1

How much do you use your boat?

This thread is meant for recreational, non fulltime cruisers. I'm trying to justify the expense and upkeep of a mid to upper 30' used crusing boat.
I live in a cold weather city with a 4 month sailing window.

How often do you actually sail your boat each month? How many days/month are you on your boat doing repairs, or enjoying the dockside condo?

Part of the reason I'd like to know, is that I'm comparing a seasonal lease/share arrangement versus ownership.

The cost of the part time lease is about the same cost of dockage and winter storage. It's less time on board, but there's no maintenance, insurance or costly repairs involved.
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 12:53   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: How much do you use your boat?

Since I live in the NE that has a season of 7 months (not all of them very useful) I figure I spent about 80-90 days on the boat last year (most using and not just going mid week to fix something). For this the past 3 years it has cost me about $12k/year to have my boat not counting payment with 1 upgrade each year (around $2k).

It really isn't possible to justify having a boat on cost/use basis, you basically have to just want to do it!
Old 25-02-2014, 12:55   #3
cruiser

Four to five months per year full time, 120-150 days. We do 90% of our own maintenance, which takes an average of one hour per day, sometimes less.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:38   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

I sail my boat every other week (sometimes more) and I stay over a couple of nights each week generally to do small stuff, but also planning on some big upgrades. I try not to think about the costs. A friend of mine has had his boat for almost 5 years. He's thinking about selling it and using the money saved to go to cruising in different locales around the world. He also has plenty of opportunities to sail on other people's boats. There are a ton of Meet Up groups and other venues that take on crew for leisure sails. Other than the fact that I'm madly in love with my boat, I can give you no good reason to buy a boat that would justify the expense.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:40   #5

Boat: Baltic 38DP
So far, in the two years since buying the boat, we haven't had much chance. But this year we are planning 3000 miles for the summer, basically 3 months of cruising. Can't wait!!!

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
This thread is meant for recreational, non fulltime cruisers. I'm trying to justify the expense and upkeep of a mid to upper 30' used crusing boat.

How often do you actually sail your boat each month? How many days/month are you on your boat doing repairs, or enjoying the dockside condo?

Part of the reason I'd like to know, is that I'm comparing a seasonal lease/share arrangement versus ownership.

The cost of the part time lease is about the same cost of dockage and winter storage. It's less time on board, but there's no maintenance, insurance or costly repairs involved.

If you have that option, and are OK with that vs the "pride of ownership", it's very likely to be a better financial move.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 15:19   #7

Boat: Various

The problem is that how often we use our boat really doesn't say anything about you. We use ours cruising away from home around 240 days a year and another 30 or 40 when home.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 15:22   #8

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya JulieMac! Take two or three, 10-day charters per year in the Caribbean and in the South Pacific. You'll financially come ahead, and you'll make fond memories that will last you a lifetime. (Charter companies do not own the boats they charter...that's a big hint!) Have fun!

Mauritz
Old 25-02-2014, 15:30   #9

Not enough sailing... but I am there every weekend even in the winter. Messing about works for me too.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 16:42   #10

Boat: Cibert, Titán 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I try not to think about the costs.

I agree. If you can and if you like, just buy your boat and then you'll know. If you can and if you don't do it because of the cost, sooner or later you'll regret.
Life is very short.
kumgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 16:46   #11

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post

Check out Pinnacle Yachts in Chicago.
Yacht Leasing and Fractional Charter Boat Rental of Sea Ray Powerboats and Jeanneau Sailboats in Chicago, Annapolis, Miami
I did two years time share with them in Annapolis with their Jeanneau 37. It worked out very well for me. It is quite reasonable and headache free. I sailed the hell out of the boat. Every time when it is raining and stormy, the boat is free for the taking. I ended up sailing all the evening hour from 5 pm to 7 am when the weather is bad. It was a great way to sharpen my skills and practice my reverse figure 8, docking and heave-to single handed until I am satisfied. LOL.

I would not buy a boat if I have my day job. It is so much work to do that you will forget to go to sail. It is easier to sail other people's boat. When you time it correctly, you can sail to BVI in one week and 2 weeks later you can sail to Panama. I can easily put 3000 to 4000 nm each year sailing other's boat. Granted, I like off-shore sailing; I am not into staying with the boat owner at the anchor even if it is paradise. The added bonus is you can try out many different boats. You can also learn a lot from the captains, either they are good or bad. BUT, it is not for everyone.

I am just sayin'.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 16:50   #12

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
"pride of ownership"

For some, "pride ownership" is priceless. Able to put a captain hat on is divine.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 16:56   #13
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445

We bought our boat in 2008, sold it last month. While we had it we averaged over 40 days a year out of the slip sailing. Either day sailing or longer trips, while in California, we went to Catalina for a week every year. This was while working 50-60 hour work weeks. It was what kept me sane. (At least I think I am sane).

When we moved to Florida, we trucked the boat to Corpus Christi, then sailed/motored in the inter-coastal waterway for 29 days. (at the worst time of year). When we got to Tampa (our home in Florida) as we waited for the tide to come up so we could get into our channel and dock the boat in the backyard, I asked the Admiral what she thought, her response "a bigger boat, and a longer trip". So, I am back at work (in Iowa) to fund the bigger boat in 5 years, and then to do some serious sailing.

Now, in regards to living in the cold north and wanting to sail. Charter in the islands and else where. Owning a sailboat is not cheap, and the cost is always there even in the "off season".
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 17:19   #14

There are a ton of Meet Up groups and other venues that take on crew for leisure sails. Other than the fact that I'm madly in love with my boat, I can give you no good reason to buy a boat that would justify the expense.

I never considered a Meet Up group as a possibility. Interesting idea!
Old 25-02-2014, 17:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Check out Pinnacle Yachts in Chicago.
Yacht Leasing and Fractional Charter Boat Rental of Sea Ray Powerboats and Jeanneau Sailboats in Chicago, Annapolis, Miami
I did two years time share with them in Annapolis with their Jeanneau 37. It worked out very well for me. It is quite reasonable and headache free. I sailed the hell out of the boat. Every time when it is raining and stormy, the boat is free for the taking. I ended up sailing all the evening hour from 5 pm to 7 am when the weather is bad. It was a great way to sharpen my skills and practice my reverse figure 8, docking and heave-to single handed until I am satisfied. LOL.
That's the charter/leasing company that I was considering, too. Never considered the crummy weather, good time to practice idea. That would allow us to really get our money's worth.