Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 05:37   #211
cruiser

Re: Horrible Guests, Terrible Crew

“Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.” Forrest Gump
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:58   #212

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
“Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.” Forrest Gump
Unfortunately this is the truth.

I have my own take on that famous quote:
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know where the nuts are."

-Scott E.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:42   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
When I had the alcoholic onboard for two weeks five years ago, I decided what I should have done at the first sign of trouble, was to give him €20 to go buy himself some Scotch, then leave his stuff on the dock and just take off since his airfare was pre-paid by me. But unfortunately, I kept him aboard and had nothing but problems from the useless turd for the next eight days.
That reminds me of the time I crewed a boat. The owner had a freeloader on board she couldn't get rid of. She sent the guy to the airport to pick up a person (fictitious, of course), when the guy left we readied the boat, cast off, and left, also. As part of the crew, we hadn't a clue to what was going on until we reached our destination. Made me think what the hell I had gotten myself into. Obviously, there's much more to the story but that's basically what had happened. I can laugh about it now, but at the time it wasn't so humorous.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:33   #214

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Smaller boat.
Less like a cruise ship.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:40   #215
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrymark View Post
Smaller boat.
Less like a cruise ship.
Doing just fine here in Croatia with Eugenio helping out as crew. Croatia is nice this time of year, we have the entire island chain to ourselves.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:09   #216

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Gee, glad we didn’t make it onto your list. [emoji6]
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:23   #217

Know before you go. Check their credit history snd at least 3 references. You are inviting them into your home do spend s few dollars to vet them
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:00   #218

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Wow, what a story. Our policy is no overnight guests. The only exception is for a weekend with family at anchor. I'd suggest hiring an experienced crew for long passages instead of inviting guests. I hope 2019 is better for you.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:48   #219

Other cruisers warned us never to take guests blue water who had never been there. In so doing (Fiji to Vanuatu) we too had a similar experience. We never did it again. Incidentally, not sure what is meant by "generator battery". Yacht batteries are normally house or engine start.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:34   #220

Boat: Northshore, Southerly 110, 10.30m

Your sorry is sad, but welcoming guest on board fortunately can also work fine.I sailed this summer for 3 months in Northern Scotland with crew taken from French and English and I used the same strategy that with close friends coming on boards.
My model is to create a clear engagement written document.

1) state the obvious
----------------------------
I am clear that crew will have to share the fun and the shores on board. No one is a full time guest.
I remember them that the sea can be tough and they need to be fit and equipped (list provided)
Finally, I make very clear that if for any reason, I feel that they are not fit or compatible for the trip, I will disembark them at he first next stop.

2) Define the financial model
-----------------------------------------
I states what will be shared and what will not. I always add €10/day/head to participate to small wear and tear of the boat standard item. I provide an estimation of the cost per day for food and marina.
Some people when coming on a boat which cost as much as a house, feel that the owner has deep pocket. I make clear that they understand that I spent all my saving on the boat and that my pockets are not deeper than theirs.

3) Test when possible
--------------------------------
When possible I have gone out for a few days before the big trip but to be honest that has not make any serious differences. One the obvious and the financial system are cleared, I never had any serious issue. In fact I have always kept my crew for the pre defined period.

I pass a (quick and poor) translation my document sent for info.

--------------- preparation email -------------------
1) Mandatory equipment
--------------------------------

a) Self-inflating lifejacket with lanyard loop and up to date. (I have vests on board that will serve as a backup, but for dark stories of insurance, I ask that you have yours on boarding.) I provided the lifelines.

b) Wellies and Oilies

Rubber wellies are less comfortable than breathable but much cheaper and much more waterproof. Prefer a model with a good sole and where you can put thick socks (or two pairs). You need a complete oilies of good quality.
Here again the good old Fisherman provider GuyCotten is the most waterproof but make you sweat a lot. My advice, choose waterproof trousers overalls of good quality (a new top of range, at Tribord or Aigle can do but it will not be very waterproof for long on the bottom where the pressure of the water when seating is chalanging / unmanageable for Gortex type tissue). A lot of colleagues who sail a lot, have returned to Cotten's yellow fisherman's overalls. There is little perspiration of the legs at sea. For the top, I recommend a breathable waterproof jacket. The quality of the jacket is less critical. It shall NOT have fleece inside because it is impossible to dry quickly. The real sea jackets, have wrists that tighten or neoprene and a large collar and very visible color hood. Choose a very bright color for your safety like yellow or red. Dark colors are to be avoided.

c) lamps and knife You need a flashlight or headlamp and a knife. You will also need a lamp or a fluorescent stick in your lifejacket (I recommend the stick). Any knife will do the trick. I like the Opinel with its super integrated whistle.
d) gloves You will need a pair of gloves for sail maneuvers and landing. Garden or construction gloves can do. You have to take them just tight enough because once wet they distend. We cut the tip of the thumb and forefinger (or all the fingers, but I like less) .. The sailing gloves are nice and very flexible, but they will be dead in a few weeks. A pair of warm gloves that do not fear water (ski type). A scarf, scarf or balaclava for cool nights, can be nice.
2) your business
-------------------

A boat not being a hotel room come with a bag and not with a suitcase. I have waterproof bags on board for shopping with the tender It is therefore not essential for you to have one. Focus on clothes that dry quickly, can be layered together and washed as a common machine. I advise :
- Damar or technical T-shirt (the first is cheaper and has an antique charm). 2 at the minimum, 3 to do well. it must descend low on your back, and be just to the body.
- fleece sweater 1 thin and 1 thicker. Be careful that they cover their backs and that they are not loose.
- fleece jacket to put in more before the oilie
- long underpants in fleece (to put under the oilie
- Sports tights (under pants or under pants in the evening).
- underwear and socks for 7 days min (then we will wash).
- trousers for dry days. Jeans are very cold with moisture. The working trousers of roofers, electricians, ... working in Tergal are perfect.
- Deck or Sneakers shoes (no black sole)
- pairs of sandals for showers and arrivals on beaches by tender
- pairs of shoes to walk a little more (island tour, village visit, ....)
- dress a little more classy (yacht club, pub, local party ...) It is unlikely that the Queen invites us, we can forget the high heels and pearl necklaces, although for the pub it would be very classy . - NO ring is worn while sailing.
- pajamas (hot is better).
- sunglasses, cap or better hat (which resists the wind).
- sleeping bag and meat bag (I have extra blankets if needed).
- pillowcases, I provided the pillows.
- towels and washcloths (there is no shower on board) but a sink and a bidet.
- swimsuit (preferably heated).
- your passport or identity card, driving license (if you want to rent a car one day). European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), not essential but simplifying in case of problems.

3) Finance.
----------------

There is a charge of €10 per head per day for sharing wear and tear on the boat.

We will work on the model of a boat wallet where the costs are shared between those on board. Is paid from the boat wallet:
- food, drinks, bars, restaurants, ...
- fuel (2l / h engine and 0.5 / h of heating
- marina, canals, ...

Does not come from the boat wallet:
- your transfer to take or leave the boat (train, taxi, bus, hotel)
- your personal purchases, gifts, greed (for me a serious job), magazines, books, ...
- travel insurance, banks or visa charges, ...
- parts of the boat that would break (it's for me). By cons parts broken after non-compliance with the instructions will be charged

The insurance when you are on the boat is paid by me and included in the 10 €. By cons, it does not cover you outside the boat (not really a problem as long as we are in European Community).
I provide internet on board for emails.
dominig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:43   #221

Boat: Hyatt 47 CPMY

Hello ,
We are willing and physically able to assist and accompany you anywhere and anytime on your sailboat. Sharing duties and costs with our 26 years of boating experience ( 38 - 47 ft ) makes sense . Contact us if interested .
Axel & Monika
Shameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:45   #222
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

We all have different reasons for sailing and I gather that, for the most part, the way we each do it is an extension of our personality. There are those who are extroverted and can't/don't want to sail without many others being aboard and hopefully a party ensuing; perhaps that is why they buy big boats with large cockpits. Others, including myself, enjoy the tranquility of being on the water to enjoy the change from land life communing with nature without the crowd just enjoying the silence of wind and water against the hull; I've sailed solo many times including to Alaska.

On my roundtrip to Hawaii the insurance company required a crew of four and I only found three others willing to meet the schedule. Sailing with others I didn't really know beforehand had its bad crew installments and my "trip of a lifetime" was less than I had hoped to treasure.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:48   #223

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Seems like it maybe confusing friends with acquaintances. Real friends are hard to come by.

This is probably the last place I'd go for a crew.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:48   #224
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

The thing most often discovered about people you reconnect with is that there's a reason you disconnected.

Guests are guests and crew are crew. Multitasking is a myth. A different set of attributes is required for each, and each expects a different set of attributes from the situation.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:51   #225

Boat: Hanse 575

That breaks my heart for you and your wife! It is a sad day when friends disappoint us. We just bought our boat up in Slovenia in June and have had a fabulous time wandering South to Corfu with 18 guests along the way who have been delightful and helpful. We were hoping to catch up with you along the way this summer in the Adriatic, but that just leaves us something to look forward to next spring! Working now to get the MairMade cleaned up and put away until April...Texas is calling us home!
ClubClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, rib